How do I stop thinking about death?

How do I stop thinking about death?

Veronica Wade-Hampton, LPC

I enjoy working with individuals of all capacities as I view the role of therapist as one in which you help the client learn to cope with the pressures of daily life.

Anonymous
Take time to focus on the big picture. Do relaxing exercises, and put time and energy into something beneficial. For example, you could take up sewing, exercising, or baking if you really wanted to. Just try and take the focus away from something negative. It also might help to talk to a therapist or close family member or friend. just talking about it might help. If none of these work you could seek advice from a psychiatrist or physician who might be able to provide medications that can make the thoughts more manageable. The journey itself might be hard but you have to remember to keep your head up! c:
fantasticSnowflake65
Best way to escape thought's of death is to help others. Keeping ourselves busy with something worth, something we love doing will help us celebrate life. That is my take on life. people will die everyday and fear death because ultimately they feel they havn't done much in their life. Once gets the sense of incomplete, something lacking in real life. If we can find purpose of our life and have the sense of completion then death is never a terror. It would be work well done. So keep celebrating every precious second of our life with purpose and gratitude.
Anonymous
Sometimes I read about other people's experiences of suicidal thoughts or issues. Sometimes I listen to music or talk to my loved ones, specifically the one I am with. It is really hard not to think about at times but it's a lot of self-will and strength that brings me back to reality to fight. I think we all have in us but some have to dig deeper than others to find themselves and pull themselves out of that misery ocean they almost drown in. Believe in yourself even though it's hard. Others have been down your road but everyone has gone a different path. Find your own path and help yourself. That is why there are several aids out there for you too.
Kendall2000
Death is inevitable. You can't escape it and sometimes you may want to run to it. So it is a topic most at some points in their life think about. But the thing is, you were put on this earth for a reason. You are hear because there is something inside you. Once you realize that you can stop thinking about death because you know you have a purpose and know that you need to be alive and that life is a great thing. Try and limit the amount of "death talk" you do. It will help get your mind off of it because you won't be having a conversation about it. Also try something new, like a hobby or new sport and you will be focused on that and focused on trying to do good at that that you will forget for the moment about it and soon once you get your mind off of it like that you won't think about it so much.
WowThatsABigHug
Death is a vast, mysterious presence in all of our lives and it more than likely touches us many times before we meet it ourselves. We see death in the news every day, we hear about it in our communities and often we think about the death of loved ones for years and years. Sometimes we think about the death of ourselves, too. This is natural and thinking about death occassionally can add meaning and be a useful tool to focus our lives. At the same time, thinking about death too much can be troublesome. We begin to think life is hopeless and without newness, as all we are thinking about is its end. Life is equally as vast and mysterious as death - but sometimes we can get sidetracked by its negative aspects and events, and we can forget the simple gifts that life offers, such as this present moment. For one minute, try focusing on your breathing. You could also focus on really studying a flower, or talking to a friend, and really listening to them. The trick is to be in the moment, and focus all your attention on whatever it is you're doing. If you keep doing that, one day you might discover something precious - and you might not want to stop thinking about THAT. Can you imagine what it would be like - not being able to stop thinking about... life? ... but that's another problem altogether! :~) Good luck to you.
MidnightAngel14
Try keeping yourself distracted from the negative thoughts. Maybe teach yourself to think more positively, do anything you like, such as a hobby or something you enjoy, it'll help you control any negative thoughts or feelings or you can try finding out what's causing you to have theses thoughts or talk to someone about what's causing them if you already know since it'll help maybe stop them or control them a little more, try talking to someone you feel you can trust, find a comfortable way to talk yo them, or a counsellor or therapist could help help cuz you don't know them so it'll supposedly easier to talk to them but it don't work for everyone. Try doing someone you think might stop them whenever it's something already mentioned or something you want to try but not involving any self injury etc so your safe.
benevolentSunshine
By convincing yourself that death is not something abnormal, and it happens to meet all living beings alike. Further, as the saying goes, "one day we'll die, but every other day we'll live". So which one do you think deserves more reflection or attention? When we avoid attributing more significance to death than it really deserves, it becomes easier for us to stay in the present. This automatically gets reflected in our mindset, attitude and behavior. One thing more: never over think about finding a way to stop yourself from thinking about death. Paying too much attention to anything magnifies it. I hope this helps. Take care.
Anonymous
Death is part of life, good and bad, black and white, the cycle, the antagony, we generally start thinking about death when we gain consciousness in early childhood. You suffer for your own death and you suffer for the death of others. We can put it away with distractions, work, socialising, living in general, shutting it out. But we cannot stop thinking about it, being for us or our loved ones. It's a fact. Be active, seek people, work or have an activity and it will keep your mind off of it. I was suicidal myself, but i was lucky with a pharmaceutical nurse who identified my anguish on my face and gave me fake calming pills and she saved my life with her professionalism. When you think about death try to conect with someone or reach for help or do it yourself by waiting it out or thinking of good thoughts. For me it worked, i go on even though i have the troubles that i have myself.
15Kenzi
It is the most empowering thing there is. Think about it. Let’s imagine life as a project and death as a deadline. How many times have you found yourself procrastinating, essentially wasting time, when a project doesn’t have a deadline or it is very very far? I know I have! This is why people tend to divide big projects into smaller bits and set their own deadlines. What does this mean? Well, do you know when you will die? Do you know how you will die? Unless you’re clairvoyant, the answer is NO. Therefore, you shouldn’t be afraid of dying, and treat each day like your last. Make the most of it. Which brings us to the real question: What do you want from life? Your survival instinct tells you to live forever. I tell you it’s possible. You can live forever in what you leave the world and humanity. Think of Aristotle, Archimedes, Edison, or Martin Luther King Jr. These are just big names, but every community has its “heroes” and every field has its heroes. You can’t physically live forever and you should embrace it. Make it your motivation to do the most of your time. Why not use your thoughts to find to immortality? Bio-mechanics, anyone? Whatever it is, do it here, do it now. People die in the most absurd ways. You can die in a car crash, you can die crossing the road, you can be electrocuted at home, your wardrobe can crush you, or you might have a heart-attack. You can’t know when or how. So, stop worrying about it or try avoiding the unavoidable. To conclude, don’t think you are alone, weird, or different. Everyone thinks of death. Death is the same for everyone, what changes is their life. So, what is the meaning of life? Life is but an empty book, and you are the writer. Now, GO! Go write the most amazing story mankind has ever read.
TsuBerry
All people have anxiety about death, and it can be triggered to everyone. The fear about human inevitability is an overwhelming thing to come to terms with and more often than not, it can be all encompassing. Coming to terms with the inevitability to life is a hard step for anyone, but in the end, its not a bad thing to think about it, to think about what will happen to the people around you, and slowly come to terms with it is one of the only ways to truly confront it. Confronting the chaos and generating personal order throughout your thought processes can be very comforting and soothing throughout the journey of life. There are lots of personal accounts on a multitude of medias that can help people overcome the fear of death, or at the very least be at peace with it. At the very least, living a life overcome by fear of death detracts from living a life that is whole and full of all the benefits of life itself. Finding peace in it, the fact that you will die, that the people who you love will die, and the people you've never met before will die is just a part of life, but its a part that you're not alone in fearing. Surrounding yourself with people who understand this fear, who love you and want to help you overcome this fear by being honest about it might be one of the steps, be it with your social network, or by looking on the internet. Everyone is scared at one point of another and its normal, but living a meaningful life can help you overcome this fear, even if its gradually and at the very end, knowing you lived a life concentrating on life, rather than death will help you feel fulfilled and sometimes, thinking about the future, a little closer to now, rather than the then is the best way to handle your fear.
Itsokay091
I am glad that you actually are acknowledging the reality of death unlike most people nowadays who think like they are immortal and they cheat , manipulate , take advantage of others for their own benefits. Would they do that if they accept that their time on this planet is limited and they are not going to take riches with themselves when they leave this world. Reminder of death makes us humble , kind , generous , affectionate and compassionate towards mankind. It pumps in the feeling that we need to do something beneficial for the society , for our future generations. So I think ACCEPTANCE is needed to derail this train of thoughts that makes you anxious. Accepting the fact that you still have an opportunity to make you dreams come true ,to find the love of your life , to raise a child that treat others well, to leave behind a legacy that would be cherished by your successors. Quoting a thought of Chuck Palahniuk , " we all die . The goal isnt to live forever , the goal is to create something that will."