How do I stop thinking about death?

How do I stop thinking about death?

Monique Bivins, MA, LPC

I have a real passion for helping my clients to overcome life's obstacles . My work with clients is nonjudgmental, supportive, and interactive.

Lyfx0x0
Suicidal thoughts , are so overwhelming and powering majority of the time . It’s just impossible to ignore them right ?. Don’t let them take over who you are . Show them that your in control !. You can do it ! I know you all can . Just by picking up one of your favourite all time books , listening to music , baking a few delicious , stomach wrenching treats or even going out on a 5 min walk can do the trick . As the saying goes “ every little helps”. You may not think this now but the impact these little tasks have on you , are so incredibly fulfilling and effective. You won’t even think about suicide . Even if it’s just for a little while :))
frostymango546
You can stop thinking about death by thinking about the happiness and success you have gained in this life with the help of your friends and loved ones. Once you leave this world you do not get an option to return. And this is your life. You should not be thinking to give up on this life because of some issues which will be solved sooner or later. These issues are not so worthy that one may start thinking about death in order to get rid of these issues. You are precious and worthy and you can not that to yourself
Anonymous
Take time to focus on the big picture. Do relaxing exercises, and put time and energy into something beneficial. For example, you could take up sewing, exercising, or baking if you really wanted to. Just try and take the focus away from something negative. It also might help to talk to a therapist or close family member or friend. just talking about it might help. If none of these work you could seek advice from a psychiatrist or physician who might be able to provide medications that can make the thoughts more manageable. The journey itself might be hard but you have to remember to keep your head up! c:
fantasticSnowflake65
Best way to escape thought's of death is to help others. Keeping ourselves busy with something worth, something we love doing will help us celebrate life. That is my take on life. people will die everyday and fear death because ultimately they feel they havn't done much in their life. Once gets the sense of incomplete, something lacking in real life. If we can find purpose of our life and have the sense of completion then death is never a terror. It would be work well done. So keep celebrating every precious second of our life with purpose and gratitude.
Anonymous
Sometimes I read about other people's experiences of suicidal thoughts or issues. Sometimes I listen to music or talk to my loved ones, specifically the one I am with. It is really hard not to think about at times but it's a lot of self-will and strength that brings me back to reality to fight. I think we all have in us but some have to dig deeper than others to find themselves and pull themselves out of that misery ocean they almost drown in. Believe in yourself even though it's hard. Others have been down your road but everyone has gone a different path. Find your own path and help yourself. That is why there are several aids out there for you too.
Kendall2000
Death is inevitable. You can't escape it and sometimes you may want to run to it. So it is a topic most at some points in their life think about. But the thing is, you were put on this earth for a reason. You are hear because there is something inside you. Once you realize that you can stop thinking about death because you know you have a purpose and know that you need to be alive and that life is a great thing. Try and limit the amount of "death talk" you do. It will help get your mind off of it because you won't be having a conversation about it. Also try something new, like a hobby or new sport and you will be focused on that and focused on trying to do good at that that you will forget for the moment about it and soon once you get your mind off of it like that you won't think about it so much.
WowThatsABigHug
Death is a vast, mysterious presence in all of our lives and it more than likely touches us many times before we meet it ourselves. We see death in the news every day, we hear about it in our communities and often we think about the death of loved ones for years and years. Sometimes we think about the death of ourselves, too. This is natural and thinking about death occassionally can add meaning and be a useful tool to focus our lives. At the same time, thinking about death too much can be troublesome. We begin to think life is hopeless and without newness, as all we are thinking about is its end. Life is equally as vast and mysterious as death - but sometimes we can get sidetracked by its negative aspects and events, and we can forget the simple gifts that life offers, such as this present moment. For one minute, try focusing on your breathing. You could also focus on really studying a flower, or talking to a friend, and really listening to them. The trick is to be in the moment, and focus all your attention on whatever it is you're doing. If you keep doing that, one day you might discover something precious - and you might not want to stop thinking about THAT. Can you imagine what it would be like - not being able to stop thinking about... life? ... but that's another problem altogether! :~) Good luck to you.
Anonymous
Try keeping yourself distracted from the negative thoughts. Maybe teach yourself to think more positively, do anything you like, such as a hobby or something you enjoy, it'll help you control any negative thoughts or feelings or you can try finding out what's causing you to have theses thoughts or talk to someone about what's causing them if you already know since it'll help maybe stop them or control them a little more, try talking to someone you feel you can trust, find a comfortable way to talk yo them, or a counsellor or therapist could help help cuz you don't know them so it'll supposedly easier to talk to them but it don't work for everyone. Try doing someone you think might stop them whenever it's something already mentioned or something you want to try but not involving any self injury etc so your safe.
benevolentSunshine
By convincing yourself that death is not something abnormal, and it happens to meet all living beings alike. Further, as the saying goes, "one day we'll die, but every other day we'll live". So which one do you think deserves more reflection or attention? When we avoid attributing more significance to death than it really deserves, it becomes easier for us to stay in the present. This automatically gets reflected in our mindset, attitude and behavior. One thing more: never over think about finding a way to stop yourself from thinking about death. Paying too much attention to anything magnifies it. I hope this helps. Take care.
Anonymous
Death is part of life, good and bad, black and white, the cycle, the antagony, we generally start thinking about death when we gain consciousness in early childhood. You suffer for your own death and you suffer for the death of others. We can put it away with distractions, work, socialising, living in general, shutting it out. But we cannot stop thinking about it, being for us or our loved ones. It's a fact. Be active, seek people, work or have an activity and it will keep your mind off of it. I was suicidal myself, but i was lucky with a pharmaceutical nurse who identified my anguish on my face and gave me fake calming pills and she saved my life with her professionalism. When you think about death try to conect with someone or reach for help or do it yourself by waiting it out or thinking of good thoughts. For me it worked, i go on even though i have the troubles that i have myself.
15Kenzi
It is the most empowering thing there is. Think about it. Let’s imagine life as a project and death as a deadline. How many times have you found yourself procrastinating, essentially wasting time, when a project doesn’t have a deadline or it is very very far? I know I have! This is why people tend to divide big projects into smaller bits and set their own deadlines. What does this mean? Well, do you know when you will die? Do you know how you will die? Unless you’re clairvoyant, the answer is NO. Therefore, you shouldn’t be afraid of dying, and treat each day like your last. Make the most of it. Which brings us to the real question: What do you want from life? Your survival instinct tells you to live forever. I tell you it’s possible. You can live forever in what you leave the world and humanity. Think of Aristotle, Archimedes, Edison, or Martin Luther King Jr. These are just big names, but every community has its “heroes” and every field has its heroes. You can’t physically live forever and you should embrace it. Make it your motivation to do the most of your time. Why not use your thoughts to find to immortality? Bio-mechanics, anyone? Whatever it is, do it here, do it now. People die in the most absurd ways. You can die in a car crash, you can die crossing the road, you can be electrocuted at home, your wardrobe can crush you, or you might have a heart-attack. You can’t know when or how. So, stop worrying about it or try avoiding the unavoidable. To conclude, don’t think you are alone, weird, or different. Everyone thinks of death. Death is the same for everyone, what changes is their life. So, what is the meaning of life? Life is but an empty book, and you are the writer. Now, GO! Go write the most amazing story mankind has ever read.
Itsokay091
I am glad that you actually are acknowledging the reality of death unlike most people nowadays who think like they are immortal and they cheat , manipulate , take advantage of others for their own benefits. Would they do that if they accept that their time on this planet is limited and they are not going to take riches with themselves when they leave this world. Reminder of death makes us humble , kind , generous , affectionate and compassionate towards mankind. It pumps in the feeling that we need to do something beneficial for the society , for our future generations. So I think ACCEPTANCE is needed to derail this train of thoughts that makes you anxious. Accepting the fact that you still have an opportunity to make you dreams come true ,to find the love of your life , to raise a child that treat others well, to leave behind a legacy that would be cherished by your successors. Quoting a thought of Chuck Palahniuk , " we all die . The goal isnt to live forever , the goal is to create something that will."
Kethl
The best thing you can do is you don't fight the moments when you start thinking about death. The more you try to conceal the thoughts, the more they will come back even stronger. Death is undeniably a difficult obstacle to cope with, and an important part of the coping is learning acceptance. And you can work your way to accepting death by avoiding to try and hide the thought. In other words, observe it without any judgement, and it will eventually weaken itself. And when the thoughts do weaken, you will be ready to finally face death and accept it.
Anonymous
It’s not about stopping the thoughts or changing them as this is passing judgement and since thoughts and feelings have no substance it’s about self forgiveness and compassion. Can do this by allowing thoughts and feelings to be there and simply acknowledging them. Denying emotions can bring on thoughts of death and self harm for some people. So identifying feelings and thoughts positive or negative is great because it allows us to let go and not hold on and move towards a path of peace and safety and self care. We can do this by practicing meditations for self compassion
Anonymous
it depends on your own situation and why you are thinking about death to begin with of course. are you thinking of death as the people who are already dead? then you have to question why that is, state what you feel towards someone or write it down, see what you wrote and say, is this ok to think about? should i seek help? if you are questioning and thinking about death regarding hurting yourself or killing yourself, then that is something you need to talk to someone professionally about. dont bottle in those emotions, dont tackle this all on your own. ive learned that when i used to think about death as in suicide, i was alone. i had no one to talk to or confide in or even ask for help when i could have but didnt. i regretted not reaching out, i regret not getting the help i needed. if want to not die or not think of dead people, its something to confide in someone who you can trust first or someone you know who can get you help and listen to your thoughts and feelings. if there is no one out there for you, there are hotlines for suicidal thoughts. speak to someone.
kindsushi
Listen to empowering music, list out reasons why death can never be the best thing to do. Think good about yourself, always. you go this! however, if you can't stop thinking about death and then you further your thoughts to ways you can die, talk to someone who listens, talk to people who make you feel good about yourself. it's all in you, you don't have to blame yourself or anyone anytime you face a major or minor setback. also, list out things you love/like doing, find a purpose that becomes the reason you don't think about death anymore. find things that you love about yourself. keep trying:)
RedBird3
I think if we’re being honest with yourself everybody thinks about death. It’s something that most people on whether religious or not fear. Death seems so final so dark so cold but then again it seems easier because it’s just giving up instead of fighting the problems that life throws at you. I think that when we face the reality that we’re just trying to run away from my problems that will realize that death isn’t the answer. Once you realize that death will be worse Then just fighting through and making do with what life has given us we will stop wanting to kill ourselves or in their life or even others. Whenever I start thinking about darker thoughts that I really don’t want to be thinking about but I can’t help, I think about all the things that make me happy in life whether it’s a bag of colorful skittles a pretty flower that I found a pretty day a smile from a friend I just think of all the bright beautiful things in the world even though there is so much dark I CHOOSE to see the good in everything and not the bad. That is how we can stop thinking about death.
sunflower2480
When I found myself in a similar position, I heard some very inspiring and healing words from my therapist. I would like to share those words with you today and I hope they help you too. Can you think of a way for you to integrate your focus on death in order to truely allow you to live? Living with death as a constant point of reference, as if it were sat on your shoulder, allows us to hold onto the significance of impermanence. Our lives, even each moment, is finite, how can you feel most alive in it...? Your thoughts on death and destruction don't have go be merely constricted into an escape hatch but potentially a fuel to engage with the brightness within you. If you are struggling with suicide ideation, please reach out to a therapist. There are a few on this website that list suicide ideation as they area of exepertise. And if your suicidal thoughts increase and you are not safe any longer, please connect to suicide.org, call a crisis line or go to the nearest ER.
LifeLights
Look at how far you have come through. I am sure you feel like it is very hard. But you got this! Think about all the things you could do with your life. And how many people care about you. And how your death could affect them. Try to focus on the positives of your life and make the most out of it. Focus on what makes you happy and I am sure you can do it, you got this! If one of your friends was going through the same situation and asked for your advice, what would you say to them?
CreativListener
By focusing on gratitude and writing down all of the things that I am thankful for, I can redirect my worries about dying or other people dying. This helps direct my attention to the people and things in my life that bring me joy and make life affirming. Also, it helps me to call or visit family and friends because spending time with them helps me feel connect and lively. Sometimes when I have dark thoughts, I realize I'm tired and feeling down. By just knowing that simply being tired makes my mind wander towards thinking of death, helps me realize that its just my brain doing that. Many times a good night's rest and if needed a mental health day can reset my energy, leaving me to think more positive and lighter thoughts.