How do you know if you're truly happy?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

LightenYourDay12
You are truly happy when your wants, your fears, and your past no longer control your future. Your choices are driven by love, hope, and a connection to the world.
LittleLemon96
you feel grateful about everything in life, you smile a lot and be in a good mood, in general happiness never lasts, as well as sadness, if you think that you are happy and you are in love with someone new I can garentee you this is sadly a temporary happiness.
Dana13
It's when you reach an inner peace with yourself. You accept whatever the life throw your way, good or bad. You feel positive most of the time.
thoughtfulPomegranate86
If you have to ask yourself if you are happy and you are thinking about it, chances are you aren't happy yet, but keep thinking about what you can do that makes you happy :)
taniaviridiana
I don't know what to be truly happy but I fight everyday to feel more satisfy about myself and the people around me.
Anonymous
I know I'm truly happy when I catch myself smiling without thinking about it. When I'm truly happy, I can be carefree, and myself.
Anonymous
I'm truly happy when I'm always smile to others, greeting others without expecting anything , thinking positive, and always cheerful.
Kat140615xx
Your heart tells the stories, You would know deep down if you was happy or not, If you wasn't you need change it,
Tazzie
September 22nd, 2016 7:02am
According to me, one is truly happy when they are getting a good quality sleep,eating well and are finding joy in the smallest of things.
healwithlove
I feel is based on how much gratitude you feel in your life. Is a mindset, so much you stop persuing happiness and you just feel a sensation of contentment to whatever life brings.
Princess5277
You know you're happy when you engage in everyday life with a smile. We all have bad days and sometimes dont always smile but if the majority of the time we engage socially, mentally and physically in life without serious sadness then we're fairly happy.
bouncySunshine97
You just know when you're smiling because you want to and not pretending anymore. Just be happy somehow.
moonlightsarah17
when you feel free and you can do anything that you want anything that you love and just go for it without letting anybody bring you down they dont affect you anymore
Anonymous
If you are truly happy, you will have good friends, good relationships with those around you, and most of all, you should be satisfied with yourself and the situation you're in.
alaskaa
look into the mirror and the smile on your face will give you,your answer.you will know it youself you dont have to ask anyone
juniperosands
I think that if you are, you are not asking that question. To be truly happy might be to be able to live in the moment without the burden or doubt of a life well lived. Do not get me wrong, reflecting on the gratifying experiences in life is a postive and healthy thing. But to be free of doubt and uncertainty would be to be truly happy.
gentleReeds52
When you realize that you control your own reactions and are able to make conscious choices instead of reacting to situations.
sophiasapientiae
You want to shout it from the rooftops, you feel unbreakable. You know you're truly happy when you want to share the joy you have experienced with others.
SanyaListensYou
When you see your smile and spark in eyes in mirror. Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow.
avamadueno22
I don't know how you can tell, I guess you go to bed happy and you wake up happy and you notice you don't have problems stirring all the time and even if things are happening, you know you have family and friends there for you and maybe that's how you know? But, I mean you can always find some way to be happy.
avocadoallyson
You know you're truly happy when you are not nervous or afraid. When you are surrounded by people you love and they love you back, you are truly happy.
EsperanzaGP
When you're truly content with what you have in life and can make the most of your current situation. It doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to feel right. Happiness is by necessity always temporary and life is more of a roller coaster of situations and feelings, so you need to pay attention when you get to the good bits are learn to appreciate them!
Anonymous
When I´m truly happy, unless I always got this wrong till now, I dont even need to ask it to myself, or to think about the answer when someone asks it to me. My face expression usually talks for me even more as I say yes I am... :) But I´m referring to my personal concept of being happy.
Anonymous
A true state of happiness makes you feel lighter mentally as you are not burdened with any hidden worry or sadness, your physical state reflect it, you feel no burden on heart, feel fulfilled with a purpose in life,
ingeniousPeace79
confidence, contentment, everything fits, everything seems perfect, at the right place, at the right time, even if they are bad, they feel meaningful. Meaning is there, vibrant inner pool of energy, silent energy, green light appears exactly when you arrive that spot :D, many clues but mostly, i would say meaningfulness and contentment and clear purpose if any, clear focus, resonance, harmony is supported
friendlyIceCream16
I know when I'm truly happy is when I am being happy towards other people. One way to be happy is to make someone else happy.
SettledBreathing
True happiness is a concept we all chase but few of us know what it really means...with reason! There's no ''true'' definition after all. True happiness, to me, is looking forward to most days. It's being satisfied and accomplished in life. It's feeling as though something's finally clicked in some way. It's growing and discovering. There are bad days but you manage them well and you've developed the right coping mechanisms to move on. That's happiness to me. You'll know you're truly happy when you label the day-to-day happiness you experience as being real.
ButterflyofEmpathy
In my experience, happiness is a feeling of being content with what you have, where you are, who you're with. Being content with what you have no matter what makes your happiness nearly invincible. If it's dependant upon circumstances then it can be taken away. Being in the now is happiness.
Gizmo91
March 22nd, 2017 3:28pm
I think a key piece of information to answer this question is to work out what happiness means to you. For some people, they just want that bubbly feeling. Others feel they need to be surrounded by people. For others, material gain helps them to feel happy. Take a look at yourself in different situations and see how they make you feel. You might think you're happiest when you're surrounded by people, but actually love snuggling up alone with a great book!
Anonymous
If I have a smile on my face and a positive feeling in my heart, I know I am happy : )