How do you know if you're truly happy?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

gracefulButterfly68
I think the most important thing is that you feel confident within yourself and are able to make the best out of every situation. Your life may not always be perfect but you appreciate the bad days as much as the good. Try and see something good in every day.
Anonymous
That's not really something you know, it's something you feel. And I don't think there's a common time when we are all truly happy, that's something that up to you induvidually.
Anonymous
When you throw smiles carelessly and start appreciating even the most insignificant things in life. When you feel like life is worth every second of it and you are yourselves first priority.
blulagoon
One of the signs you’re truly happy is that you do not feel the need to take reckless risks in your life to feel a rush or have a quick fix of adrenaline. People who are content with reality are grounded and can center themselves in a much happier place than those that are constantly on the lookout for cheap thrills. Long-term happiness is much more rewarding than short-term rushes. People who are constantly second guessing themselves and doubting their own decisions and judgment tend to experience mood swings and self-esteem imbalances. Getting to a place where you are comfortable in your own skin and confident in your decision-making is the sign of a person who is happy and content within themselves. One of the main reasons for general unhappiness in people is their tendency to allow their minds to wonder toward the future: more specifically in a pessimistic view about what could go wrong or worrying about what might be next. Happier individuals sometimes put their jolly state of mind down to staying in the present and not worrying about situations that they cannot control and situations that have not yet even happened. Concentrate on what you can be involved with for a better state of mind.
Anonymous
When you literally cannot stop smiling ear to ear, you feel your heart skip a beat. You want to live in that moment forever and continue to feel that current feeling because it overwhelms you with a fuzzy feeling.
softIceCream7788
True happiness is to be content in the present, not to be consumed by the past, nor worried about the future. To enjoy every moment of the present with a smile, to enjoy food , society, nature, family and friends. Happiness can be achieved anywhere at any time, it is the inner peace we can all touch and reach, with practice. I find that gratitude is key to being happy.
AAAwesome24
They said happiness found within. It is not like you're just laughing nor smiling when someone is telling a joke or you have read something funny. It is something magical that you will feel when someone special to you gave you butterflies in your stomach. It is the spark you feel inside your heart when you feel appreciated or vise versa. Happiness is when you found yourself completely contented for what you have or what you are now.
Anonymous
It's different for everyone, the way I find myself to be happy is when you have no worries or concerns. You'll be happy with where you are physically and emotionally. And almost like you're weightless.
Anonymous
For me, knowing if I'm happy is about checking in with my feelings. I try to think about the situation, or my life in general (but that's a lot at once!) and then pay attention to my feelings. How do I feel when thinking about school? Stressed, unhappy, self-confident, happy, do I get anxious? So I think it's about getting to know yourself. If you realise you aren't happy, that's something to work on, because everyone deserves to be happy! You could either change something about the situation or change your attitude towards it. Good luck in figuring it out! :)
dontlooseyourself
You know you are happy when you start appreciating what you have, when you start loving the people around you, when you don't need to pretend you are someone you are not, when you don't need to turn off someone's light to brighten up yours... you just know it...
MissLuthien
If the good outweighs the bad and you're handling any of the bad well. Things don't have to be perfect.
Anonymous
Happiness is different for many people, especially those with mental illnesses like depression. You know you are truly happy for the most part, when you can smile a genuine smile or the cloud has lifted from your life and you can see the light.
Kaleidoscope86
You don't. Happiness is a moving target. Focus more on this question: am I living my life authentically, in a way that feels fulfilling and aligns with my values and desires?
ParoxysmsJulie
Personally, I know I am truly happy when I am content with the way things are. They don't necessarily have to be bad but they aren't always good either. I am fine with the schedule I have or if I'm not, I'm able to change. Don't let your goals be limited by wanting to achieve "true happiness". It doesn't show up like a celebrity entering a school prom, it's more like a condition / state-of-mind.
Mirimotivate
By feeling a sense of security, peace that prevails hardship, and an inward sense of value. If you are happy, then you are generally living according to good principles. You can sense the goodness and feel it flowing through you, motivating you to attain more.
DreamsOfWonders21
October 22nd, 2017 12:41am
When I know if I'm truly happy is I can breathe without feeling stress out, having friends that are there for me when I need them, and of course my family members.
mthilliard
There's no checklist. If you were, you'd feel it. But there is always something that can be improved, which is the beauty of life. The beauty is in the journey not the destination.
lyricalSea85
When you know that you're finding joy in every work you do. When people's judgement doesn't really bother you anymore. When your parents have become proud of the person you have become, keeping the fact in mind that you are happy being this way. Each time you look in the mirror, you can't be more proud of the person standing in front of you... That my friend, is where you can say that you're happy.
empathicKoala23
It depends how you define true happiness but I think it is when you feel content in the moment. All depends on the individual.
Anonymous
You can tell if you're truly happy by having the feeling of ebullient and you can't wait for the moment or certain event happen.
VoxLux
When you experience a physical warmth, bliss, or external happiness such as smiling. When it seems as if some of your worries melt away, or at least fade temporarily. Happiness is what you make of it, and is an emotion that you can make yourself have. You are your happiness, and you are who makes it happen.
ajj23
Happiness is an interesting concept. Where does it come from? At what level do you become happy? Well, most likely you may think true happiness comes from completing life goals (e.g. having children, getting married, having a successful career, buying that dream car). But really, happiness comes from within. Too often, we restrict ourselves, saying "I'll be happy when...", putting our happiness into the achievement of a goal. When really, we can choose to be happy, we can decide that today is going to be a good day, and the completion of goals can serve to enhance our happiness, not create it. True happiness lies within the control of one's mind, and it is enhanced by the outside world.
rosie24
I feel I am truly happy when I forget about thinking about if I'm happy or not. When I can just go about my day and not think about all the things I have to do or what I could have done better.
PandaBailie2001
When I am truly happy, I don't feel any worries. I don't feel sad and I feel no weight of burdens in my life. In the moment, I am free.
mindfulears88
You will feel calm and content with what you have and know that you have people whom you can lean on when things get tough again.
AskACat
I think this is the wrong question; I would ask instead, "How do you know if you're truly content with your life." Happiness is a fleeting emotion, that comes and goes like any other feeling. Being content with your life means that you accept both the highs and lows of life, and it is a feeling that you can make it through any challenge life throws your way. When you are content with your life you are able to celebrate victories, and critically review failures. It is a feeling that you are right where you're supposed to be in life, many achievements in the past, but there are still future goals to pursue. Being content means that when happiness comes, you are able to fully experience and be present in the happy moment.
MeghanSmiley
True happiness, I think, is something that you just feel. It's not something you can consciously force yourself into - you'll just find yourself smiling, even when you're not doing the most exciting thing. You'll brush stuff off easily, and you'll just be glad you are where you are.
Anonymous
Sometimes happiness is being content. Sometimes its letting loose and sometimes it's the people around you that make you happy.
TheCup5893
Well, if things are going well at work and life is being rewarding in love as well, you know you're grateful for everything you have. There's more - the wellbeing of your loved ones, meeting your ambitions, having a group of friends who truly care for you and you care and love them in return. However, I am not sure if life can offer all of this in one go. So, I suppose nobody is qualified to be completely happy. There's always that tiny glitch. I hope you can hold on to the good things while letting the worse pass at its own pace. Wishing you the best. :)
CameronJ598
You have this feeling that is different from any other feeling. it's like the calmness of the beach waves or the sun shining down on you. once you feel it you know that feeling forever.