How to be good to yourself and to others?

Deane Rain Marie, LMFT

I take a holistic approach in working with eating disorders, mood disorders, relationships, and the LGBTQ community. I use EMDR, Dreamwork, Stories, CBT and Cinema therapy.

TruthSinger
Embrace those times when you are trying something new and hit the point where you are on new ground, a huge part of you is terrified, but part of you is free of the muck you've always swum in. Realize it's only a PART of you that is scared, and that you could not conceive of something if you are not capable of manifesting it. Learn what you need to and take the action steps necessary. Do not wallow in the facts and fears of your condition (health, money, parents, children, whatever) instead put your time and energy into becoming the best you possible. Imagine what it would look like to BE that person who this is not a problem for. to Be that person who has succeeded in overcoming this condition, and then ask yourself, what does that person do differently than I do? Embrace that, put on that skin...walk in it. KNOW that you have just taken a step towards a new belief system about yourself and that part of you will fight like mad to stay the same, no matter how much you do not want that, but part of you is already moving forward to the new normal. Embrace that.
MidnightSky7
To be good to yourself can be difficult sometimes. You need to really see into yourself. You need to see all the good things that you do. The whole beauty of yourself. The differences you make. To be good to others, do little things. They can mean a lot to someone. Ask how they're doing, compliment them. Etc.
Lovelypink
Love yourself,accept yourself and be kind to yourself You cannot love,accept and be kind to others if you dont do it for yourself
GracefulFriend75
Just treat everyone around you with respect and dignity. Be happy and those around you will follow!!
SweetNori
Be kind, be understanding, remember there is always more than one perspective. I remind myself all the time that what is good for me is not always so for others. And remember that when others give their opinions and advice too. Eat well most of the time, find a way to exercise you like and maybe try some mediation and mindfulness if that's your thing.
FrenchThea
Do small good deeds. Like ; if there is someone old attempting to cross a road, watch discreetly if they need help : if there is some help you can give, however little, give it.
LovingListener96
To be good to yourself and others starts with self care, because if you can't met your own basic need you can't met the basic needs that a healthy relationship with others requires. A good way to begin self care is to list all your basic needs physical and emotional ones then rate how well you are taking care of your self in those areas. Ones you are lacking in schedule time to take care of those and create goals. Once you feel that you are consistently taking care of yourself you can begin to manage other relationships by doing positive things for others without compromising your own self care.
MrNurse
Treat everyone as if they were a family member. The way you treat people reflects in yourself. Even if you don't believe in karma, it can be wonderful for yourself and others if you act like you do. Do unto others as you would have done to yourself.
2cupsofteaa
Start with yourself first. Treat yourself to something nice, and that would make yourself feel good. Then, you will indirectly treat others nicely too! :)
Anonymous
Caring for others is a big step to being good to yourself and others. Another way is if you see bullying step up and don't be afraid
StarryLove
Well, it's not an easy task, you must first have the commitment and willingness to be better version of yourself before you serve to be good to others; it's like they say: "you can't give what you don't have." You start on what you think; if you constantly think positively and keep practicing as such, you'll then start speaking things positively. Afterwards, the positive karma for everyone will come around every so often. I hope that helps.
Machapuchare
Taking time to do the active hobbies I enjoy puts me in a good mood, and helping others is something I feel is very important. Just letting others know they aren't alone reminds me of all the amazing people I've encountered too.
Anonymous
Help somebody everyday. Making other people happy can improve your self esteem and acceptance towards other people.
truthSeeker71
I am learning to accept myself and others more and not to take people so personally. We all get caught up in our own dramas and our behaviour changes according to what we believe about something. I find remembering this helps me to be calm when others are upset or not being nice. By being more accepting of myself and others I hope to have happier relationships.
Anonymous
Smile, spread positiveness.
bouncySunshine97
First all, be good to yourself. Start with you. Praise yourself, support the things you do, think positive, always know you can and never give up on you. All these will somehow teach you how to be good to others. Once you learn how to learn how to love and appreciate yourself more, you will be able to act that way to everyone else.
BelievingInYou
Write a note or jot down some good qualities about yourself and post them where you can see them every day!!! Love yourself first!!
Anonymous
I think the best way to be good to yourself is to appreciate and care for yourself. Self-care is very important, it helps you grow as a person and be responsible for your own needs. You can be good to others by caring for them, and supporting them when they make positive progress.
Anonymous
You should know that you are great just the way you are. Don't try to change yourselves. Try to get to know yourself better for example don't try to force yourself.
BabarUetian
Most of the people here in this site ask me that they are feeling lonely and wanna talk to someone... Its actually good to talk to someone or make new friends but i think the best solution to this problem is to find love...Love is not just to make a girlfriend or boyfriend for timepass but to find someone who really cares for you, who give you respect and who supports you in every situation of life. Love can be with your parents, with your friends with your cousins and GOD...
whiteroserachel
Don't put too much pressure on people, including yourself. You can't take care of others if you don't look after yourself first. It's OK to be selfish sometimes.
serenity373
To be good to yourself and others is to be gentle with yourself and others. Always approach every obstacle in life with a clear conscience. Love yourself and love the ones around you :)
avanef
For yourself you need to love yourself and accept yourself and forgive yourself. Do not think of yourself is less or more than others around you because you are you and you are an amazing human being, flaws and all. To and for others, treat them the way you want to be treated (as cliche as that sounds but it's true), be nice, be conversing enough (don't be selfish), involve yourself with their lives a little. With that people will think of you as a good character.
Anonymous
December 2nd, 2016 9:07am
Be gentle with yourself, and be proud of who you are. When you love yourself you can begin to share that love with others.
pizzaasthetic13
Love yourself unconditionally no matter what the circumstances are and eventually, the love you are showing yourself will reflect outward to those around you. Be sensitive and caring and take others into consideration.
Anonymous
Listen to yourself and be gentle and kind. Do what makes you happy. Don't be to harsh on yourself. You deserve more
thepooch07
BE KIND. Not just to others, but to yourself too. it is very necessary for us to realise the importance of being good to ourselves. a simple way of doing this daily is by doing something that makes you happy. it can be something as simple as singing to yourself. another very simple way you can treat yourself better is by forgiving yourself daily, for whatever you are holding in and beating yourself up with. be kind always.
sereneParadise65
To be good with yourself you should be true with yourself and learn who you are and whats your purpose in this wolrd. We all have a purpose and if you discover that you can help others to learn that too and this brings happiness 😊
Anonymous
It takes little positive steps each day to be good to oneself and to others, rewarding yourself with a treat on completing a set target or task, praising co workers or family members on their achievements,greeting with a smile, taking a break for yourself to prevent any exhaustion ,encouraging others, positive self talk, deciding to quit abusive relationship, supporting someone's positive step, these are just indicative small steps towards the goal of being good to oneself and to others,
Anonymous
Take time for yourself and thinking how you can improve for your own wellness and for others. In my case, I'm always writing in my personal diary, so I can remember how I felt days ago and what I was doing for to feel better in that time.