How to deal with too many emotions at one time?

Amelia Winsby, PsyD

I often work with clients who experience a wide range of emotions and difficulties. I am non-judgmental and enjoy working with individuals from all walks of life.

TalkingIsTheBestMedicine
Having too many emotions at once can be overwhelming but not insuperable. One possible solution is to get a pen and paper and write down everything you are feeling. Then try to assign a number to each emotion in terms of apparent importance to you and then attempt to deal with each emotion in chronological order. Some numbers will fall away as you go through the list and some will be just too difficult to deal with at a certain point in time. Talk to someone as they may be able to give you some pointers to dealing with emotional turmoil.
JannaD
Start writing, write every little thing you feel, just write... and then read it you can surprise yourself how much that can calm you.
Anonymous
You can sit down, relax, and just breath for a few minutes. Focus in one thing at once. Maybe while doing it you colud play relaxing music.
MozLovesYah
Sleep, hang out with friends, play with your baby siblings! Watch your fav tv show...it'll be over soon
Wolveswatching
Take a long hot bath and forget about all of your thoughts for a few moments, they should return to you slower and more spaced out allowing you time to process better.
clearwater99
By trying to calm yourself. Forget about those emotions for awhile and try to do something that you love like drawing, singing or simply hanging out with your dog, friends or family.
Miracle
When we feel like we are facing a thousand emotions all at once it can make us feel so overwhelmed. However like most 'overwhelming' situations often a good tactic is to attempt to break it down into smaller sections so that it appears more managable. I would first question if you are able to identify your emotions individually (or do they appear jumbled) if so think what it is 'similar' to in the overall sense and pick 3 descriptions eg. 'Fear' 'anger' 'sadness'. Once you have done this you should feel more in control. So the next step depends on you either 'riding the wave of emotion' hopefully with someone who cares for you nearby or attempting to combat it. If you decide to combat it then it's worth considering what has worked for you in the past with that emotion and if you don't know, identify what has worked for other people (a Google search of 'how to deal with ..... emotion' may be helpful) for example when I am angry I sometimes find that vigorous excercise can help.
Flycat01
Its natural for human beings to have too many emotions at a time. The best way to deal with them is to identify how each of them is bothering you. Only that way can you find solutions to them and gain control over them. So don't run away, instead figure out the root cause of those emotions and act accordingly.
PashT007
Journaling can help and I've seen others that have had success with this. Sometimes this is a great option for people who don't have anyone they can absolutely trust, to vent to.
empathicguru0506
It is exceptionally hard to deal with overwhelming feelings all at one time. It can start to feel like there is no way out or that the walls are moving in on you and leaves you feeling paralyzed. Sometimes it is helpful to give yourself room to feel those emotions and allow yourself to cry or go for a strenuous run around the neighborhood. What I have found that helps to process my feelings is to keep a journal next to my bed and write down what is on my mind or in my heart. You can even have a ceremony to burn that book once all of your feelings are expressed. I feel that it freed me from feeling overwhelmed, other friends have felt that writing in a journal helped them sort out their thoughts and feelings and you may find the same freeing experience in writing and then, burning the book to set that negativity and pain-free.
Showtime
Take a deep breath. Relieve stress by working out, listening to music, or some other way to relax.
Peacefulmeditation
The best thing you can do is try to label them. You have to first know what emotions you are experiencing. Then finding someone to talk to get a better understanding of yourself is something I would do next.
phenex2014
Journaling is important part of dealing with emotions and feelings. Keep a updated journal where you can Vent and try to sort out your emotions
ThePsalmist
I would suggest that you try your very best to dissect all of these emotions and separate them individually. I'm not quite sure if we are capable of dealing with many emotions at once. Thus, I suggest that you deal with one emotion at a time.
Anonymous
Just closing your eyes and focusing on your breathing can help. When you bring attention to the present moment, you focus on the present. It is normal to feel like these emotions are overwhelming. We are human. Just focusing on the simple mechanisms of breathing (something we don't tend to think about) usually helps in this case. Perhaps you may want to focus on the physical sensations you feel when experiencing these emotions. For example, when I become upset, I feel pressure in my throat. Then I ask myself, "if this sensation could speak, what would it say to me?" This usually helps me understand why I feel these emotions and calms me down.
secrethelp21
Emotions are normal work. They grow as we grow. However, I have moments when you are more intense and diverse and require constant control from our side. That's because we are in a sensual period. We are welcoming, sometimes confidential, and we do not know what it happens with na. We simply do not recognize ourselves. The only thing that we can do is to put our feelings into control so that they can not control us.It's done very easily. Simply a certain period shows only one emotion that is a character ticking on the situation. That's it. I wish you luck in the fight.
EllaMC91
Writing can be a powerful outlet. When I am feeling overwhelmed by emotions, I open up a journal or an electronic document. This process looks different every single time! Sometimes I do a "brain dump," where I write everything that comes to mind without worrying about punctuation or anything like that. I simply put my thoughts on that page. Other times, I write poetry that encapsulates how I am feeling. It can be empowering to turn feelings that may be negative into beautiful literature. Still others, I work through my emotions on the page. I write out the names of the feelings and look for causes and influences. These methods can help one look at the emotions with a different perspective!