How to sort out my feelings when I'm overwhelmed ?

Stacey Kiger, LPC

My belief is that therapy is not about giving advice, but joining you on your journey

goldenLight64
March 3rd, 2015 10:51am
You take one day at a time and if that's too much you take one hour at a time. Write down how you feel and see if you can identify the reason for each feeling. Prioritize your tasks and get through each one by itself before moving on to the next.
ThunderDog
1. Change your environment Move to a different room, get up from your desk, sit in a different chair, go out for a walk or go sit in a café. Stepping out from the current situation and changing your physicality will help you gain clarity, and shift you away from the overwhelmed state of mind. 2. Journalling Writing your feelings down can help you get them organized and clear. You could also make a list of your troubles, 3.***Jot down everything in your mind on a piece of paper, then take another sheet, make 3 columns crutial, intermediate, not important and categorize the items from the first sheet. Then cut and throw away the not important list and plan one by one how you'll accomplish the crutial list, the the intermediate one. I've tried this, it really works :D 4.Ask people around you for help. You’d be amazed at how many people are willing to help. Often, we are the problem that is disallowing help from happening through our limited thinking. We think they will say no, and so we don’t ask. ---Adaptation from http://thinksimplenow.com/productivity/overwhelmed/ please visit the link for more sloutions. :D
Kai1243
A great way to do this is to organize your thoughts by writing them down. Try to take some time for yourself, sit down, and gather your thoughts and feelings. Keep in mind, your feelings are very real and very valid. It's important not to bottle them up; try and release these feelings in some positive way.
SocialButterfly31
When I am overwhelmed with my feelings I journal. Journaling helps me get my thoughts on paper and not have to feel all the weight on my shoulders anymore.
Samalyn
Write down your thoughts! Even if what you write is jumbled. Just write. You'll feel a lot better getting it out somehow even if it doesn't make a ton of sense.
ShadowPumpkin75
If you can, find a peaceful place, be it a corner of the room or the bathroom (sometimes there is no other way than excusing youself for the lady's/men's-room) and take a few moments or minutes to calm your breathing. In most cases, at least for me, when I'm overwhelmed by somehing, my breathing goes out of hand so that's the first thing I tackle. Then I try and take a look at the situation from the "third person's point of view". Majority of the times that helps me to get my feelings and emotions under control, because then I see my problem and that situation is not at all that bad and unsolvable.
May 23rd, 2016 3:33am
Make sure that you deal with the emotions you have, do not suppress it. If you suppress it, it will build up and cause overwhelming.
lovedneighbor
You can sort out your feelings when you're overwhelmed when you acknowledge how you really feel, address the source of your feelings, and accepting it. :)
courageousLight81
May 3rd, 2015 5:40am
Take time alone to sort out what happened. My thoughts and emotions. to pray meditate and focus on the moment and sensations. to breathe
endearingforest95
I always try to manage my emotions one at a time, but only after I've got my head a little clear! Try and take a walk, get some fresh air, and then take on each feeling one at a time!
thisismejessica
Great question! One way to do it is using mindfulness. Find a quiet & comfortable place, close your eyes, sit/lay down in relax, just breathe for a couple times. Then imagined your bodily reactions, where do you feel the tense or tiredness in your body? Scan your body, then be aware of your senses, describe that. When you're ready, move deeper to your thoughts and recognize your thoughts in a nonjudgmental way (don't say it's right/wrong, good/bad). Then move deeper to what you feel and recognize them one by one - like you're unpacking a full grocery bag. Noticing them one by one, name them! Do this as long as you need, and when you're ready, take the peace you feel to your body and while breathing, slowly open your eyes.
Anonymous
Journal - Helps to track progress and express emotions A Destroy This Book - A book in which you can write, burn, draw, tear, cut etc. This is best for those who can’t keep ordinary journals.
SaraMichelle
I suggest pausing for a moment and collecting every feeling you have. Then sort them out one by one. For instance, say you are feeling sad, take this emotion and find the reason behind it. List every reason why you feel sad and fix those reasons to the point where you no longer feel this emotion and then do the same for the others.
Anonymous
February 23rd, 2016 11:36pm
One great tool can be journaling. write everything out and then take time to go back later with a clear mind and perspective. I am also a big advocate for mindful meditation.
Anonymous
Start with a deep breath. Start by understanding where your feelings are comeing from (the root). Categorize them into good feelings and bad. Determine how you were able to feel good and take note on what caused you to feel bad. Its important to just know that no matter how overwhelmed you are. You are important! And despite how busy you are, your emotions and self care is worth pausing on overwhelming and busy circumstances. You are valuable! Your emotions are real and important! Take time for you! You deserve it!
Anonymous
When you are overwhelmed a few ways to sort out your feelings is by expressing it through paper, or even asking yourself questions on how to overcome it can help you separate it and seeking help when needed.
Anonymous
try to take some deep breaths to calm yourself down , then proceed to think what are you feeling , what has caused those feelings and what you can do to fix the situation