I can't stop crying for days on end. What do I do?

Jennifer Geib, LCSWR

1:1 daily live chat sessions. - My therapy is non-judgmental and focuses on emotions and motivation to accomplish your goals or overcome your struggles.

Elta
The problem may be rooted in a deep-seated issue that a clinical psychologist can help with. Going to get help, even if it is stigmatized in our society, is very important. Knowing what you need and going to get it is the best step. They can set up interventions and even psychiatry visits if you need medication to get you through the tough time. Just, don't be ashamed of feeling how you do. The emotions are telling you something, and it's best to get help from someone if you're crying often!
Harmony1357
You should take a minute to breath and think about what might be causing you to cry so often. Is there anything specific that could be the source of this sadness?
Anonymous
Cry until you have cried about everything that makes you sad and then get up and move forward. Bottling things up is bad. When you need to cry, cry.
gongoozlersoup19
It sounds like it's a hard time controlling how you feel. I've experienced something similar and if I were you, I would be feeling confused and overwhelmed. I would recommend seeking out safe people to get emotional support form and touch base with your primary care. The first thing they do is rule out if there is anything medically related. If not, I encourage you to surround yourself with good support! It's a tough time but you aren't alone in this process.
FrenchThea
Asking for help is a good start. Then maybe think about what's making you that sad, and why it's making you sad.
Anonymous
Go outside, listen to music, read a good book or take a walk. Do something that you enjoy. Talk to someone who can be supportive and positive.
Dana13
Try to find out the reason for your tears and if there is then try to solve this problem, but if there is not then try to do things that makes you happy. Go out, makes yourself a nice meal, hang out with friends, or even do a hobby you like. Change your routine around :)
LittleGrandma1994
You need to talk to someone about how you are feeling. Sometimes even just letting one person know how you feel you start to feel more relaxed.
Christy24601
What I've found helpful, is taking a moment for yourself and writing down what can be causing these feelings of sadness. Going to a quiet room, clearing your head and thinking about the possible causes of these feelings can help you feel calmer and give you the opportunity to start thinking about possible ways to manage the caus(es).
CalmingBreeze16
It may be that you have one of the signs of depression. If the crying continues for days particularly without an identifiable trigger it would be important to discuss this with your doctot
Anonymous
It seems like you are going through difficult times. Feelings can get so overwhelming that you can't do anything but cry. Sometimes it just helps if you can say out aloud what distresses you. You can try and find a listener here at 7cups.
Teaandnetflix
Find something or someone that makes you happy . Whether that be a hobby , a tv show , a youtuber, music a friend /family member. It could be anything find something that makes you smile and surround yourself with them /that thing. Try and remove anything negative from your life.
Anonymous
Try to find out what is it that's making you behave this way. Apply a healthy lifestyle and try to smile always even though a fake one. Keep calm and try accepting what's coming. It will get better, you know that.
Anonymous
Let yourself express how you feel. The more you can express your true emotions, the more satisfied and content you can be in the end.
Anonymous
Try to identify the best part of your day. Think about why you liked it and how you could have another good experience tomorrow. Visualize how you want your day to go, and imagine yourself as happy and content. Block out some "you time" where you can focus on something that you enjoy.
Thehonesthelpergoose
if you have been crying for days I think that maybe its time to look for a new option. maybe trying to find a professional to talk to.
Leighlanie1213
Well, First analyze why you are crying, then think of things that can help you stop. movies could help
Anonymous
I would talk with my friends or watch videos as this bring up my mood and allow me to have a better relation with my friends
ShadowPumpkin75
There is always a time when you are calm and tears are not present, so use that time to try and detect the reason for your sadness. I know it's hard and can feel counter-intuitive to think about the stuff that is making you cry, but it is the only way to regain control over your emotions. I suggest a calming meditation and talking to a person of trust, be it a friend, family member of a therapist. I had the same problem not long ago, and I only managed to control my need for crying when I sat down with myself, forced my thoughts into some organized drawers in my head and reached the reason for those tears. I then contacted my college's support center and had a few sessions with a therapist. It really helped, but I would not have been able to do that if I hadn't first sorted out the situation in my head. Also, they say that, if you have a need for crying, you should fulfill that need, and I couldn't agree more. Just remember that after every storm comes a rainbow and that you are not alone =)
Anonymous
December 2nd, 2016 12:31am
Has something impacted your life recently? I would urge you to think about the changes (if any) have occurred in your life. Then, I would proceed to go to your doctor/therapist because sometimes it is best to get an opinion of a professional.
shiningCloud47
It would be good to think and talk with someone about this issue and if close to you are not these people then look here for someone who you could speak openly and look for solution together. The best would be speak with a therapist. Most important don't give up or feel ashamed to seek help and support, there are people who want to do it. Hope you gonna be soon better!
Anonymous
Just get yourself busy with work. Try to divert your mind by doing something of your interest or by chatting with your nearest one
Anonymous
Distract your mind, whether it be by reading a book, listenin To music, watching films. But try to take your mind away from the root cause of the sadness. tell yourself that you're in control because you are ❤️
GilesCorey
If you're crying for days on end and you feel empty and hopeless for long periods of time you may be suffering from depression. The best thing you could do though is seek a professional's advice and see if there is any other possible cause and/or solution to your problem.
tinybeebee
Try to focus on breathing, first. When you feel yourself building up to cry, I suggest that you cry and let it out. Usually, your body feels relief after crying. However, if you find that you are constantly crying and want to stop, start by focusing on your breathing. Inhale deeply through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Picture yourself in your happy place. Keep yourself occupied. Do something with your hands, such as cook or rearrange a bookshelf. By keeping yourself physically occupied, your body will take over and hopefully become distracted enough to forgo the physical act of crying.
Anonymous
I try to think things that make me laugh, smile, or even just think of things that I have. The worst thing to think is thoughts like worthlessness, loneliness, or depressed thoughts.
Jo3jung
talk to someone. It is important to surround yourself with people who care about you when you're feeling vulnerable. Talk things through and take in the positives.
cherishedApple29
Crying is a humans way of experessing various emotions; sadness, happiness, etc. To bottle up your emotions is going to harm you mentally, cry if you want, cry until it feels like your sorrows has gone with along with your tears. Remember after the rain, comes a beautiful rainbow💋
brightShoulder29
I have been here before many times. I was very reluctant to try medication or admit that I had something perhaps biologically off. If you are unable to control it or aren't sure why you're crying, it might be best to seek outside help. What stopped it for me was realising that I couldn't stop and needed outside help.
Anonymous
Allow yourself to cry, you release stress by doing so. Trying to stop yourself from crying or just not allowing yourself to worsens the situation. Talk through it with someone when you feel that you are able.