I can't stop crying for days on end. What do I do?

Jennifer Geib, LCSWR

1:1 daily live chat. - My therapy is non-judgmental and focuses on emotions and motivation to accomplish your goals or overcome your struggles.

SerialThinker
There is definitely a reason within. Sometimes talking to someone we trust works and sometimes there is the need to seek professional therapy. I think its best if you reach out for help by firstly talking to understanding friends or family members. If you still felt bad for it then comes the next option which is talking to a counselor. And the most important thing is that you shouldn't take it for granted. Like getting a fever, its a sign of something going wrong. So its best if you face it and see what you can do for it.
lovelyBeauty42
Is it that you have found comfort in that? you have to root out the problem and not try to make home of this situation. Often we become comfortable in the situations. Especially when they are bad. Because we don't know how to get out of them anymore. We forget that the answer to the situation is within our own-selves. another thing is the more you put your attention to this problem you have, the more you will think it actually EXISTS and you will think that something is actually WRONG with you. I hope it helps you out though
15Kenzi
Crying can be a release. Something has likely been overwhelming your mind, and you are letting it all out when you cry. Surprisingly, a number of emotions can be behind the release. When you are crying, take a deep breath. Then notice what you are feeling, and WHY. This part can be difficult and takes practice. Often, people cry because they can't take one more thing. Most people's lives are full of stress, to the point where their bodies are constantly on high-alert. This can be exhausting, and can lead to the release of crying. If you think this may be the case for you, you may want to read this article: Finding Freedom from Fight-or-Flight . I know from working with my clients, that it definitely is possible to learn new strategies to deal with life's storms.
Hugandhappiness02
Think about why you are crying what makes you cry for days? Think of is it worthy to cry is it worthy to be sad. It could be anything a breakup, family issues, break up, bullying etc but everything will be okay and better. These days will pass and tomorrow needs you. You should be strong for yourself first. Talk with your loved ones ask for an advice or want them to just listen you and understand you. I promise everything will be better so don't make yourself depressed sad. You don't deserve this. Love yourself stay healthy and try to be happy maybe you ca read a book watch your favorite tv show/ movie or you can go out and walk watch the sunset sing a song write down your thoughts anything will work. Love you lots♡♡♡
believeinmewhobelievesinyou
Ask yourself if you're ready to stop (more important than it seems) Understand crying is a natural function of the body, crying constantly for days on end should something of a warning light If you haven't already, it might be helpful to find a safe, isolated location Focus all attention on a noise in the environment (helps to bring you "here", quiet mind noise) Attempt to physically calm through "box breathing", 4 in 4 out 4 hold. This can also minimize panic attacks The words we say and thoughts we think can have power over us, in that we use them to make connections to meaning. Try to refute any thoughts that are obviously out of line, so you don't wind up convincing yourself you agree with them. For me, that's as simple as saying "refute" in my head. If you live with loved ones, it's a really good idea to let them know what's up. This minimizes their potential distress at discovering you and establishes a route for support, if necessary. If the breathing and focus has succeeded in bringing the crying to a halt, I try to return my expression to a more normal one and relax my forehead, scalp, neck and shoulders. If I feel my eyebrows furrow, I try to limit that and return my focus to the base of the skull or nape of the neck. Following all this, if it's possible to do so, I try to be a little more understanding with myself. If there's no obvious reason for the crying, it may be that there's something of a block there, and that thorough exploration of the source might be needed. For the real work, serious introspection and honest assessment is required. This process can be painful, but I can't stress enough that if you've actually gotten this far, it feels like the "right" kind of pain, and can lead to much better times. Hey, I think this is a process much like any other. Crying is good to release that stress but if we've built up so much that it's haunting us day after day, it's an obvious sign -- like a warning light -- that we need to pop the hood and look at what makes us work. At the end of the day, prevention is worth a pound of cure. Stay in touch with yourself, stay true to yourself and when you mess up, forgive yourself and you'll be much better off than... ...uh, all of us, I guess. Stay safe, guys.
AbdoGanz
Have you ever considered Meditation? Mindfulness Meditation is very effective at helping you controlling your emotions. Maybe try some guided Meditation sessions online. Also, you may want to read about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). It helps you understand the relation between Thoughts, Feelings and behaviors. You'd start to notice when are you reacting to things and when are you responding to them. Many people think that the situations we go through result in us feeling in a certain way, therefore responding to them. While in fact, It's essentially the way we perceive things that gets us to feel in a particular way about them.
RedEmerald
Just let it out, tears are not meant to be kept inside. Also, speak to a doctor/social worker/psychologist and see if they have any insight. Also, talk to a friend, sometimes sadness needs to be shared. There can be many reasons for crying and it is natural and okay. Our bodies give us signs to tell us something is off, and this is our body's way of telling us. We need to take care of our self or be kind to our self. You deserve it. Just remember it is normal and in time things will change. You will be okay!
ElephantTiger1
First of all I want to ensure you that it is okay to cry, let it all out. Though, maybe it is time that you spoke to someone, whether this is a friend, family member, counsellor, someone at 7Cups; whoever it is, they can help you through this time or point you in the right direction. I want to remind you that you never have to go through this alone. You have a whole army backing you. You are NEVER alone! In the mean time, perhaps indulging yourself in things you enjoy. Maybe this is a certain food, writing, painting, a good book, or spending time with a close friend; whatever it is, allow yourself to enjoy it. Don't be afraid to reach out, you can speak to me if you would like.
Anonymous
Sorry to hear that. What you need to do is think about why you are feeling this way. They key to break free from this cycle is within you. You are stuck in this phase where you are thinking about what is upsetting you, when you need to think about what you can to do make yourself feel better. Since you have reached out for help you are half way there. You need to have hope. Be positive, practice grattitude and do thing you like to keep yourself mentally healthy. This is extremely important. Write a journal and figure out how you are going to resolve the emotions that are troubling you. Go well. All the best.
walkingpresent
If you know vaguely what is making you cry, but unable to identify exactly why you do, then you can find a person to help you sort out your thought. Because you know yourself the best, you know your situations the best, but we are not the best on understanding our countless thoughts all at once. Sometimes our thoughts are so much in disarray to the point that we cannot even see the problem in a new angle, and we know that we cannot solve a problem in the same level we created them, and this is quite difficult without help from other people to at least help give you new perspective of your own problems, even if you may not be able to tell them all the things in detail.
Anonymous
Hello! I understand you are having trouble with frequent crying episodes. I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with this. This happens to a lot of people, especially during stress, and sometimes due to diet, hormones, etc. You know you best, and I'm sure with some meditation, reflection, or introspection you can determine the cause and think of an action plan of coping skills you could try. Sometimes it's just a matter of trying different things until you find what works. Just know that you are not alone. These are difficult times that everyone is trying to navigate. I wish the best for you.
peacefulHorizon6932
Crying is a thing that we all do to show a variety of different emotions, crying can be for happy or sad reasons but sometimes people cry for no reason, some might think how can you cry about nothing, but it’s not about nothing it’s about you as a person. I understand how it can feel to be like this confused, sad, happy, depressed everyone has been through things like this. If You know why you feel a certain way should find that reason and think how you can get rid of it. Crying is a natural thing to do and there’s nothing wrong with doing it just turn sad tears into happy if you don’t know what your crying about.
lindaisling1
I am so sorry to hear that. Is there something specific that is bothering you? Or are you finding yourself crying without a specific reason that you can think of? Have you had any experiences in your life that you would like to talk with me about? I would encourage you to see a therapist because even though we are in the middle of a pandemic, it is unusual to be crying for days. That can be a symptom of depression which is common when people are trying to deal with a threat such as the pandemic occurs. Can I refer you to a therapist?