I can't stop crying for days on end. What do I do?

Jennifer Geib, LCSWR

1:1, daily chats. - My therapy is non-judgmental and focuses on emotions and motivation to accomplish your goals or overcome your struggles.

Anonymous
Clean your room. Take a shower. Change into a fresh set of clothes. Play some music. Turn your phone off. Sing to your favourite songs. Watch your favourite TV show. Read a book. Spend time with your pet(s), if you have any. Take a nap. Reset your mind. If the problem persists, perhaps it's because you're avoiding something. Come up with a plan. Face your problems head-on. You can do it. Don't let yourself wallow in your tears. Your feelings will only fester and make you feel worse. Try talking about them, if you want to, or write them down.
SerialThinker
There is definitely a reason within. Sometimes talking to someone we trust works and sometimes there is the need to seek professional therapy. I think its best if you reach out for help by firstly talking to understanding friends or family members. If you still felt bad for it then comes the next option which is talking to a counselor. And the most important thing is that you shouldn't take it for granted. Like getting a fever, its a sign of something going wrong. So its best if you face it and see what you can do for it.
Anonymous
Is it that you have found comfort in that? you have to root out the problem and not try to make home of this situation. Often we become comfortable in the situations. Especially when they are bad. Because we don't know how to get out of them anymore. We forget that the answer to the situation is within our own-selves. another thing is the more you put your attention to this problem you have, the more you will think it actually EXISTS and you will think that something is actually WRONG with you. I hope it helps you out though
15Kenzi
Crying can be a release. Something has likely been overwhelming your mind, and you are letting it all out when you cry. Surprisingly, a number of emotions can be behind the release. When you are crying, take a deep breath. Then notice what you are feeling, and WHY. This part can be difficult and takes practice. Often, people cry because they can't take one more thing. Most people's lives are full of stress, to the point where their bodies are constantly on high-alert. This can be exhausting, and can lead to the release of crying. If you think this may be the case for you, you may want to read this article: Finding Freedom from Fight-or-Flight . I know from working with my clients, that it definitely is possible to learn new strategies to deal with life's storms.
Hugandhappiness02
Think about why you are crying what makes you cry for days? Think of is it worthy to cry is it worthy to be sad. It could be anything a breakup, family issues, break up, bullying etc but everything will be okay and better. These days will pass and tomorrow needs you. You should be strong for yourself first. Talk with your loved ones ask for an advice or want them to just listen you and understand you. I promise everything will be better so don't make yourself depressed sad. You don't deserve this. Love yourself stay healthy and try to be happy maybe you ca read a book watch your favorite tv show/ movie or you can go out and walk watch the sunset sing a song write down your thoughts anything will work. Love you lots♡♡♡
believeinmewhobelievesinyou
Ask yourself if you're ready to stop (more important than it seems) Understand crying is a natural function of the body, crying constantly for days on end should something of a warning light If you haven't already, it might be helpful to find a safe, isolated location Focus all attention on a noise in the environment (helps to bring you "here", quiet mind noise) Attempt to physically calm through "box breathing", 4 in 4 out 4 hold. This can also minimize panic attacks The words we say and thoughts we think can have power over us, in that we use them to make connections to meaning. Try to refute any thoughts that are obviously out of line, so you don't wind up convincing yourself you agree with them. For me, that's as simple as saying "refute" in my head. If you live with loved ones, it's a really good idea to let them know what's up. This minimizes their potential distress at discovering you and establishes a route for support, if necessary. If the breathing and focus has succeeded in bringing the crying to a halt, I try to return my expression to a more normal one and relax my forehead, scalp, neck and shoulders. If I feel my eyebrows furrow, I try to limit that and return my focus to the base of the skull or nape of the neck. Following all this, if it's possible to do so, I try to be a little more understanding with myself. If there's no obvious reason for the crying, it may be that there's something of a block there, and that thorough exploration of the source might be needed. For the real work, serious introspection and honest assessment is required. This process can be painful, but I can't stress enough that if you've actually gotten this far, it feels like the "right" kind of pain, and can lead to much better times. Hey, I think this is a process much like any other. Crying is good to release that stress but if we've built up so much that it's haunting us day after day, it's an obvious sign -- like a warning light -- that we need to pop the hood and look at what makes us work. At the end of the day, prevention is worth a pound of cure. Stay in touch with yourself, stay true to yourself and when you mess up, forgive yourself and you'll be much better off than... ...uh, all of us, I guess. Stay safe, guys.
AbdoGanz
Have you ever considered Meditation? Mindfulness Meditation is very effective at helping you controlling your emotions. Maybe try some guided Meditation sessions online. Also, you may want to read about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). It helps you understand the relation between Thoughts, Feelings and behaviors. You'd start to notice when are you reacting to things and when are you responding to them. Many people think that the situations we go through result in us feeling in a certain way, therefore responding to them. While in fact, It's essentially the way we perceive things that gets us to feel in a particular way about them.
RedEmerald
Just let it out, tears are not meant to be kept inside. Also, speak to a doctor/social worker/psychologist and see if they have any insight. Also, talk to a friend, sometimes sadness needs to be shared. There can be many reasons for crying and it is natural and okay. Our bodies give us signs to tell us something is off, and this is our body's way of telling us. We need to take care of our self or be kind to our self. You deserve it. Just remember it is normal and in time things will change. You will be okay!
ElephantTiger1
First of all I want to ensure you that it is okay to cry, let it all out. Though, maybe it is time that you spoke to someone, whether this is a friend, family member, counsellor, someone at 7Cups; whoever it is, they can help you through this time or point you in the right direction. I want to remind you that you never have to go through this alone. You have a whole army backing you. You are NEVER alone! In the mean time, perhaps indulging yourself in things you enjoy. Maybe this is a certain food, writing, painting, a good book, or spending time with a close friend; whatever it is, allow yourself to enjoy it. Don't be afraid to reach out, you can speak to me if you would like.
Anonymous
Sorry to hear that. What you need to do is think about why you are feeling this way. They key to break free from this cycle is within you. You are stuck in this phase where you are thinking about what is upsetting you, when you need to think about what you can to do make yourself feel better. Since you have reached out for help you are half way there. You need to have hope. Be positive, practice grattitude and do thing you like to keep yourself mentally healthy. This is extremely important. Write a journal and figure out how you are going to resolve the emotions that are troubling you. Go well. All the best.
walkingpresent
If you know vaguely what is making you cry, but unable to identify exactly why you do, then you can find a person to help you sort out your thought. Because you know yourself the best, you know your situations the best, but we are not the best on understanding our countless thoughts all at once. Sometimes our thoughts are so much in disarray to the point that we cannot even see the problem in a new angle, and we know that we cannot solve a problem in the same level we created them, and this is quite difficult without help from other people to at least help give you new perspective of your own problems, even if you may not be able to tell them all the things in detail.
Anonymous
Hello! I understand you are having trouble with frequent crying episodes. I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with this. This happens to a lot of people, especially during stress, and sometimes due to diet, hormones, etc. You know you best, and I'm sure with some meditation, reflection, or introspection you can determine the cause and think of an action plan of coping skills you could try. Sometimes it's just a matter of trying different things until you find what works. Just know that you are not alone. These are difficult times that everyone is trying to navigate. I wish the best for you.
peacefulHorizon6932
Crying is a thing that we all do to show a variety of different emotions, crying can be for happy or sad reasons but sometimes people cry for no reason, some might think how can you cry about nothing, but it’s not about nothing it’s about you as a person. I understand how it can feel to be like this confused, sad, happy, depressed everyone has been through things like this. If You know why you feel a certain way should find that reason and think how you can get rid of it. Crying is a natural thing to do and there’s nothing wrong with doing it just turn sad tears into happy if you don’t know what your crying about.
lindaisling1
I am so sorry to hear that. Is there something specific that is bothering you? Or are you finding yourself crying without a specific reason that you can think of? Have you had any experiences in your life that you would like to talk with me about? I would encourage you to see a therapist because even though we are in the middle of a pandemic, it is unusual to be crying for days. That can be a symptom of depression which is common when people are trying to deal with a threat such as the pandemic occurs. Can I refer you to a therapist?
Anonymous
Truthfully I would take one more day, to just let all the pain and sadness in, cry it all out, still drink water tho, then I would cry and cry just for that one day. Why? So when ive let it all out felt all the pain in one go I wont have anymore tears to let out. Because when you supress your tears and your emotions it will break you one day. And I learned this the hard way.. the more emotions you supress the more broken you wil be once you blow up. So its better to take one day, and let it out in your own time that you've set
rezasophiea
You can allow yourself to cry, sometimes a good cathartic cry can help us accept that we aren't feeling to great. Accepting emotions for what they are can often help us overcome our challenges, the more we accept each emotion as it enters and feel it the more likely it is we can come with what comes out way. For me personally i feel if i supress an emotion i often feel that emotion for much longer. Have you been able to speak to someone you trust recently ? A reminder you are not alone , you are never alone.
SoothSayer42
Talk to people, and eat good food. Indulge in things that bring you happiness. A walk, a book a show. Keep yourself distracted. Another important point is, when you talk to people who care about you and actually listen to what they are saying. Do not dismiss them, just like you wouldn't like to be dismissed by a friend who you care about if they were in trouble. What is making you cry? You need to analyse. You need to think about it and come up with an actionable plan to solve your issues. You can take help from friends/family or even qualified therapists.
EmpatheticPenguin
Breathe. You are okay. If you believed in Santa for at least 8 years, you can believe in yourself for at least 8 minutes. Right now it might not seem it, and that is understandable, but you can do this. Everything that has happened to you as of yet, is building you up to something great. You have to believe in that though. As hard as it is, you need to trust in yourself. Right now, it is a rough patch for you but think about it like this. If you were to live to 100 years, then each year is 1% of your life, which means each day is .2% of your life. It's okay to cry and it's okay to be down for days. But at some point you're going to have to pick yourself up and start making those .2%s worth it. You got this!
Anonymous
I completely understand the feeling. Whenever I start to feel like this, it always helps to turn towards family or friends. Even if you aren't able to exactly speak with others about how you are feeling in the moment, surrounding yourself with those that you love can really provide as an eye-opener that you are in need of a little bit of love. Also, being able to express yourself through writing, painting, drawing, or sculpting can provide as an outlet for the emotions that you are feeling. Writing is especially helpful in providing insight on what exactly has been making you feel so upset. You may find that in the end, you are bottling up your emotions. It is okay to let them out. Completely so.
Freespiritedwarrior
Sometimes it's okay to cry. But to stop you can try and distract yourself, find some form of escapism or something that can make you laugh, such as your favourite TV show. Reach out to a trusted friend or family member, they can help cheer you up remind you of how far you've come and put things into perspective. Have a dance party to your favourite songs if your able. Maybe meet up with people in a safe environment and do a fun activity. It will take your mind off it and give you a dense of normality.
ChocCinnamon
I used to cry for days on end. I realized that actually taking a deep breath and taking steps to write down what is important to you is helpful. I would then meditate in a quiet environment for some time. Listing out the things that are important to you helps you reevaluate your relationships. It makes you a happier human being overall. Crying is a part of life but the way you deal with it makes a big difference. You need to believe that you are a stronger individual than what other people believe. You need to start loving yourself and remember that your body is a temple.
khwaab
Some things that help me are techniques like naming the colours you see or doing math in your head. Something to make the other parts of your brain work. Never apologise for crying. Instead, say something like "you can see I am very passionate about this topic" then just move on. forcing yourself to to smile helps too, it tricks your body into not crying. It is important to remember that being hard on yourself will only make it worse, it's a good thing to be in touch with your emotions. All in all, find distractions to stop yourself crying.
Anonymous
I'm sorry to hear that. I can definitely relate and I've cried. it's not a bad thing to cry. It feels as if though you are releasing an emotion. At some point, my soul felt cleansed by letting it out. I was able to recover from that emotion once I released it, and so can you. Listening to Happy music, reading a good book, watching a Comedy movie, and eating my favorite foods helped me not to cry or feel sad. Sometimes people don't cry because they are sad, some cry because of other emotions they are feeling. Watching stand up comedy always helped change my mood.
Salorana
Maybe try to write the things down that make you sad or listen to calm and happy music. Music can really help you. Try to reach out to friends and talk to them or even meet up with them. I know this will sound silly but try to write a diary. With daily thoughts or things that just make you sad. Surround yourself with positive people and positive hobbies. Maybe even learn a new hobby, like drawing, writing or an instrument. You can't do anything wrong except for doing nothing about it and I'm 100% sure you're strong enough. Never give up!
sunshineOasis59
This sounds like a very difficult situation. I would start by identifying what makes me happy- even the small things, like a scoop of ice cream, or going on a walk while the sun sets. I would then consider if doing something that makes me happy will help to make me feel better- but understandably, it may not, depending on the gravity of the situation. What is it that's making you upset? Is there anything you could do at the core of this that could make the situation better- can you consult the issue directly? Again, if not, this is completely O.K. Sometimes, problems have to be solved with taking time to embrace the difficulties and taking the opportunity to reflect on any lessons learned from this difficult experience. In other words, crying is an OK thing as it is good to consult your emotions. However, it is also important to identify how you can motivate yourself to 'move on'. Presumably, there would have been an issue you would have experienced if you were feeling so upset- what can be done to either eradicate or learn from this experience? "We fall. We break. We fail. But then, We rise. We heal. We overcome."
Anonymous
Don't be ashamed or mad at yourself. It's normal having emotions. It can be overwhelming and frustrating when you're not able to stop crying, but things will get better. I promise you. You're most likely in a lot of pain, and i want you to know that you made the right choice by joining 7 cups. It's very brave of you. Take a deep breath, and know that you're loved, worth it, beautiful, unique and amazing. We may not know each other, but i don't have to, in order to tell you that things will be okay. "In the end, everything will be okay. If it's not okay, it's not the end" Take care
Skipster
Well, it helps to take a moment to stop and reflect. What’s making you sad? What are some things you love to do that could help you cope? It’s hard to stop if you don’t know why. Coming to others for help is also a great answer! We can help you find out why you’re crying, and can even discuss plans on how to help you stop. Know that crying isn’t a bad thing- it helps to get our emotions out. But, it’s best to make a plan, and spend time doing things you love to take your mind off of whatever’s making you sad. Once you’re ready to confront your cause, wether it be alone or with a friend, make sure to take it slow.
Anonymous
Do talk to someone you really trust and think would understand you. It could be a friend, a neighbour, a teacher, or even someone in 7cups. People cry when it's too much for them to handle, and that is alright. You're sad or hurt, some might say depressed, but we don't know right? So reach out for help :) . If you don't know what caused this crying, then talking might help you figure out the reason. And if you do know why you cry, it will help to share the burden. Having thoughts only inside our heads can become very difficult. So be kind to yourself.
GoldenRuleJG
Often times, we face sad feelings due to personal choices or the actions of others. It's absolutely understandable to experience symptoms of anxiety and sadness when unexpected, sudden events happen in your life that cause grief such as a bereavement of a loved one. It is recommended that you reach out to support groups going through the same feelings you are going through so that you know you are not alone and from hearing others experiences you are able to develop that self-compassion for your situation. A 2011 case study found the average duration for crying was 8 minutes. To challenge the response to cry you can make changes through seeking support via psychotherapy, reading articles to condition yourself to breathe more through your nose and out through your mouth. Other devices that can be used is going out for a walk to change your immediate location, relaxing facial muscles, or thinking about something repetitious that you have remembered like a poem. It may also be relevant to note information down regarding what you feel in a journal if finding it difficult to articulate into words or hesitant to tell others.
McDupie
December 3rd, 2020 2:12pm
From my personal experience this might be caused by mild depression due to various factors; sometimes even factors that you yourself is not consciously aware of. Get some exercise; move and burn up some of that excess adrenaline that you are producing causing some if not all of the tears. Journal ; whether it is writing it down or making yourself a voice recording or video; Journal about all of your emotions. but target happy small pleasures as well. Intentionally laugh at small things (even as it is difficult to focus during this time). I don't have advise on how to stop the tears once it has started flowing; but these that I have listed here helped me to greatly reduce those tears.