I have never felt so sad in my life. Why do I feel this way?

South Africa

Claudette Pretorius, MA Counselling Psychology

I know how overwhelming it can feel when you're having a tough time. I offer clients a space that is non-judgemental and empathetic whilst navigating these times together.

Anonymous
Things happen. Days feel like they're going spectacularly until they're not, and suddenly, everything is awful and sad. The most you can do is push through it. Remember that you've felt better before and you will feel better again. There isn't always a clear reason as to why you're feeling sad and if it isn't something you can fix by talking with someone, don't beat yourself up about it.
Anonymous
Feeling sad is a part of life, just like feeling happy. People say that if you haven't felt sadness, how do you know what's happiness. Feeling sad is normal but feeling sad for a longer period of time means you have to do something different to change things.
Anonymous
it really depends on why you are feeling like this, something that happened to you, any changes in your daily routines, or just the ups and downs of our regular days!
Anonymous
In my personal experience, everything is temporary. Being happy is temporary but being sad that's extremely temporary. Things happen in life that hurt us badly, it's how you cope with them that determines who you will be in the future.
Art3misListens
You are going through a rough patch, there may be outside factors like work or school that are causing you to think negatively. Remember that everyone goes through a rough patch, Try to solve your problem head on, identify the factors that cause you to be sad during your day. You will soon overcome them.
courageousBeauty49
Sadness does not always have a clear and definite answer. When I feel sad, I like to evaluate when it is I started feeling this way and then think about the possible causes.
Anonymous
Sometimes I fell empty, sometime I´m fully happy. Actually there is no fully happiness, we have just some great and unforgettable moments. In the most of time we face with so many problems that it becomes impossible to deal with all of them at the same time. This is my case. I guess I should try to solve with one by one and not all at the same time. This drive me crazy. This drive me to act with insanity. That´s the reason I´m so sad, because I fell incapable of to dealing with them.
Anonymous
maybe something make you heart untill you got very sad. and maybe that is first time your heart getting heart.
HopefulJet61
There are many times when we experiences things that can trigger that emotion. It always best to see the positive even if you can't there's always help!
Anonymous
There may be many possible reasons behind your emotional state. Try to look deep inside you and identify what is wrong and if this is hard for you, talking with a listener could always help you feel better!
slowTime
What has happened in your life? Any serious event? It is understandable to feel very sad at some point especially experiencing something life changing.
marisad
November 1st, 2015 12:55am
It may be because you are unhappy with how things are around you. It's best to accept what happens and do your best to stay positive about the situation because being unhappy for what happens will only make you more sad. Try writing down exactly what could possibly be the reason(s) for you to feel that way. Tell yourself that it is okay to feel sad, but not too sad. Remember that you are in control of your thoughts and feelings. The way you react and/or feel about things affect how you are.
Sarahbellum
Sometimes emotions don't have triggers and are just caused by subconscious concepts in our mind or chemical imbalances. Your feelings are totally rational and healthy and you shouldn't be ashamed to reach out for help.
MovingForward23
There have been times when I have felt so low that nothing seemed to help. No matter what I did, who I was with- I couldn't get myself to feel happy. This was depression, and I thought it would never get better. But it did! Therapy, meditation, and medication helped me hop out of a negative place, and I am much happier now. No matter how bad it seems, things WILL GET BETTER if you work.
comfortableEars93
I can't answer this because I don't know what's going on in your life but you should definitely ask yourself this question. Whats going on to make you feel sad.? What makes you happy? What do you need to change in your life to be happy again? A new job, a new relationship, being single? The first step starts with you!
Anonymous
As much as I hate this response, from having clinical depression, I can tell you it can very very well be hormonal. Through the growth of our bodies and such, sometimes there is an imbalance or a short deficiency in serotonin (the happy hormone). One minute you can be busting a gut laughing because your life is so great, and then next second you are weeping in the car-port at 11pm and you have no idea why, but you're praying that something will squash you like a bug because you just want to die, but I promise- give it a couple days, maybe even a nights rest, and you should feel just fine :)
Anonymous
Sadness can come in many ways. But there will be a root cause to your sadness. The idea is to find the root cause and cure it.
AnimalHugger
The only judge of this is you i could not possibly tell you why you feel like that but here is a hint. The answer is you on you can bring yourself down and blue and only you can build yourself up and choose not let anything in the way of your happiness even a gloomy day like today
fruityNatural88
Its okay to feel sad... its a part of life... if you only ever experience happiness it wont have that value... its okay to be sad
livefree24
Multiple things can pile up and up but focus on the good. you're breathing and alive. you can get through this i promise. you've made it this far :)
Anonymous
It must have have affected you very profoundly. Its alright to feel sad. Only by feeling sad can a person get through such events.
Phillip985
Sometimes people can get a sudden burst of emotion randomly throughout their life. It's probably best to think hard about what is making you feel this way. And don't be afraid to feel sad or upset. Ignoring it will only make it worse. Take a deep breath and pay attention to your emotions when you're alone.
cristiana33
There are times and moments that make us feel really sad, devastated even. It all depends on how much you've invested in what happened. Many times we feel bad and confused on whether is okay to feel this way. But we shouldn't try to avoid feeling sad. Let yourself feel however you are feeling. It will pass and you will eventually understand what happened and it will be easier to move on. Have patience with yourself.
Anonymous
This is wat each of us feels evry time fate takes a turn...nothing to worry in it...natural human instincts!!
wonderousSunshine82
Your sadness could be a combination of things. It could be the change of season, it could be added stress to your life such as a new job, a new baby/sibling, a new relationship or the end to one.
heavenlyMelody38
Sounds like you have never felt so low and are confused as to why you feel this way. Tell me more about how you have been feeling.
dancingTurtle59
as i age looking bac on the bad choices i have made bring me sadness and feel i will only make more bad choices but what i did yesterday i dont have to do tomorrow
insightfulWriting60
When do you feel sad? When do you feel happy? Perhaps a mood chart can help you to identify these things
InspirationalRichard
It make because your friends are being mean. It could be not having money to get something you need or want. Hope you get felling better.
Helpfulcat
Review what have you went through in the past period. Any stressful events? Family? Friends? Or maybe nothing special? Sometimes, when nothing special happens, it can happen because of us being accustomed to a routine.