I have very rapid mood swings, what's the best way to manage them so no one gets hurt?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

Anonymous
Give time to yourself, and please seek professional help. I have major mood swings, but I was given medication by my medical doctor that's helped a lot. Learn how to politely step away from a conversation when you feel yourself getting worked up.
iwillmakeyoufeelbetter
You must know, in your mind, that everyone around you has feelings, and you could end up saying or doing something that they will remember for a long time. That kind of impact on someone shouldn't be on your head.
positivemermaid
this happens to me sometimes and it is very disturbing. i usually just try to calm myself by talking to someone who i know can empathize, or just distracting myself by doing things that i can do alone, so as to not be exposed to others :)
Anonymous
I find that the best way to deal with mood swings is to first be honest. By telling whoever you're talking to that you feel a certain way, let's say angry, you can explain to them that your emotions are not targeted at them.
emberdanielle
I have a lot of experience with this issue. I've found that identifying any triggers you may have, and avoiding them as much as possible, helps to keep from snapping at people who may unwittingly trigger a mood swing. And if you are triggered, to breathe deeply and slowly, and excuse yourself, keeping to yourself until you feel like you are under control enough to rejoin others, if possible. I hope this helps!
Anonymous
I would suggest you try to work out what it is that triggers your mood swings so you can understand them better and that way you can help others to understand them as well and it may help stopping no one getting hurt as you will know how to avoid triggering them.
ZoeH
One thing that I do, specifically for anger, which I think has the most potential to hurt someone, is when I feel myself get upset, I ask myself 'Am I upset at a person or am I upset at a situation?' Once I can identify what I'm upset at, I can act accordingly. So for example, if my boyfriend has been going out of town a lot for work, I'm not mad at him because he's just doing what he needs for work, I'm mad at the absence of him which is a situation. Once you identify that it's a situation, you can express your anger to him about the situation which will stop him from becoming defensive.
Anonymous
November 2nd, 2016 11:24am
When you feel negative emotions coming on, find an isolated spot to take a deep breath and gather yourself. Don't interact with anyone until youre aware of what you're feeling and you've sorted out your thoughts.
sweetpetite79
When you have rapid mood swings, the best thing to do when it strikes is to not do anything. Just don't do anything. Let the mood pass by so others will not be hurt.
sereneShoulder38
It is best to monitor your emotions in a very attentive manner, and find out the negative factors that swings your mood to negative. Then look for the emotional "debris" around these factors and try and make peace with all the bad memories and lack of hope about them. It will definitely help if you focus on one single factor at a time, and do not give up until all negative factors are addressed. :)
Anonymous
You feel you are hurting people with unmanagable mood swings. When you have a mood swing, what do you feel before, during, and after the mood swing? What do you think causes you to have those feelings at each stage? It's healthy to express ourselves and you should not be discouraged from expressing yourself. There are many things you can try in the moment of a mood swing, but only you know for sure which one will work for you and that's okay. There are counting measures like counting backward from 100 or counting to 10 very slowly. Think of your diaphram and try a few very, very slow deep, deep breaths. Politely excuse yourself from present company and write your thoughts down in the form of a letter instead of an outburst. Imagine that you are giving yourself a hug during trying times. Think of the sound of the rain or the ocean. If you can steal a moment for yourself, your in-the-moment moodiness may relax enough for you to continue the conversation/event. With enough practice, your brain can create new emotional patterns to go by, but it's okay if you need professoinal guidance with that too. Read more about different methods to manage your emotions here: https://www.7cups.com/help-managing-emotions/lesson1.html
gratefulMind29
December 2nd, 2016 5:38am
Identifying the mood swings in the moment can be helpful. Once you recognize them, you can make rational decisions on how to react given that you know you are feeling a certain way.
canadianShipper
Use breathing techniques (like breathe in for 6 seconds, and out.) To calm down and try to recognize your emotions. Also ask a professional about it if it gets to be too dangerous/harmful.
glowingshadows213
Hey :) I can totally relate on that. First off, are you getting counselling? Rapid moodswings may indicate a deeper underlying problem. Secondly, breathe, find your center, Let it pass. Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT make any decisions unless you feel you are completely calm an rational. What I do is I postpone all major decisions/actions to the next day. That gives me time to separate heightened emotions from actions. There is no need to take out your anger at the spot, wait 24 hours, if you're still angry then see why it makes you angry, do something about it but rationally. During phases when emotions are really intense (anxiety, fear, anger) find a calming repititive activity. Take a walk, write it down, buy a stress ball if you must, channel your emotion and learn to ride the storm, don't let it drown you. Hope that helps, PM me if you have any further questions
willrr6
I believe just being aware of our moods at that moment in time helps, and personally I have the same struggle. Knowing and being aware in my opinion, is half the battle, perhaps even more! In addition, from my personal experience taking my medication has been helpful in really keeping my intense moods manageable. Also, having coping methods helps SIGNIFICANTLY. For me, It's jiu-jitsu, boxing, and exercising. I also love playing adventure games. Stay positive, you can do it! :)
Hikushi
First see a doctor if your mood swings are caused by medical conditions, which then can be treated or manged. Be aware of your emotions.
Anonymous
April 22nd, 2017 11:35am
I used to be a very easy person to anger. I learned with time how to control my mood swings in order not to hurt people around me. I usually leave the area I am in when I feel my mood change. I go take a walk around the block, go to the gym and take off some steam, or just a secluded area and scream it out or whatever. It worked for me. And whenever I hurt someone emotionally, I always push myself to apologise after.
damselinthisdress
Try to be as conscious of your mood swings as possible. Try to increase your awareness about how and when the mood swings occur, notice any pattern that might be present. Create a buffer between your mood and your actions...try to look at your mood from a third person's perspective. That should enable you to think before you act on your mood swings and hence reduce the chance of you doing something that you'd regret. Mindfulness is a very helpful exercise regarding this. It increases your awareness enabling you to be completely present in the moment.
Anonymous
Think of ways which make you calm and collected. Find your 'happy place'. I also recommend getting help with a professional, they have the best expertise when it comes to this.
Anonymous
If you're concerned about the safety of yourself or others, I would strongly recommend seeking out additional help. Keep in mind that the listeners here on 7cups are here to support, empathize, and listen but we are not professionals. We can only do so much.... That said, if you are looking for tools to track your mood swings there are many free apps for iPhone and Android which can allow you to 'mood map' your swings. My mother once said "Knowing is half the battle", so by mapping your moods, you may be able to self-identify what initiates some of your swings. There are also several apps that allow you to do mindfulness exercises at pre-determined parts of your day (eg. at 3:30 you may get a reminder from the app to practice mindfulness). These may help provide a 'clear head space' in the middle of your day to help prevent emotional boil-over.
Anonymous
Having rapid mood swings can be hard to deal with. One good way to manage them so no one gets hurt is by evaluating your feelings and trying to understand why you feel that way. When you evaluate your feeling you become more calm.
SilentSerenityy
I think the first thing you should do is find out what the cause of your mood swings are. Maybe even visit a doctor to get some answers. Solving the initial issue could lead to improvement of your relationships. When you're having a mood swing, you know you're having one so maybe try to make a conscious effort to adjust your attitude when talking to people you care about. You may want to just lash out but if that's the case, avoiding people you value may be for the best until you calm down. You could also open up to someone you trust about your mood swings and let them know that if you snap at them, you don't mean it and you don't want them to take it seriously or to heart. They may be able to support you as well.
Anonymous
Go see a prefessional regarding your mood swings. It could be anything from stress to bipolar disorder. Good luck!
CarissasHereToTalk
One of the best things you can do to help with mood swings (in my experience) is to learn to tell yourself when that's happening. Learn to tell yourself "I didn't feel this way a minute ago, nothing's really wrong". You can even tell the people around you that you're having mood swings so that they're less likely to get hurt.
LilGreenBird
Managing mood swings can benefit from a holistic approach. This can involve keeping a diary to keep track of potential triggers of mood swings, so that you can either try to avoid the triggers, but also become more aware that what you're doing is not a fully rational reaction. Exploring ways to channel your emotions when they happen is the other step to take if you do have a mood swing. It will take time but practicing healthy ways to express your emotions may help curb the intensity of the mood swings. Practicing taking a step back, breathing slow and deep for 30 seconds and acknowledging that your emotions are getting out of control are good ways of becoming more aware of your mood swings.
lyricalSea85
I would recommend Yoga, Meditation, or play some game which totally requires the involvement of brain...like puzzles and stuffs.
Anonymous
If you have rapid mood swings take yourself away from the situation than make sure no one is around when this happens and take deep breathes.
Bluecomfort
November 22nd, 2017 6:46am
Moving yourself away from any stressful triggers or even taking a moment in the bathroom to take a breather helps to even out a mood swing. A famous saying in Hindu philosophy states, "This too shall pass." Sometimes being a witness and acknowledging that the mood swing will pass is itself a stabilizing courage.
Anonymous
Separate your emotions from others, and examine your moods. Find a root cause and chances are you won't take it out on someone or something that isn't. Sometimes the little things snowball into us losing our patience with other people.
Anonymous
Meditation, learning to take deep breaths when you feel yourself getting angry. Find friends to help you.