I have very rapid mood swings, what's the best way to manage them so no one gets hurt?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

thesunwillrise02
August 2nd, 2020 7:28pm
Hello, I can totally relate to you! I think what really helped my mood swings is to look around my surrounding and force myself to find something that I like. I would focus on the object and tell myself that everything will be ok. Sounds dumb but it actually helps a lot! You could also bring a mini pack of your favourite treats with you wherever you go. View the treat as the source of happiness so that when you’re feeling low, just eat something from the pack to make you feel better :) If you find these tips to be helpful, we could chat and you could update me on your progress!
Anonymous
When you feel like you could hurt someone take a deep breath. Leave the room and go for a walk alone. Take some time to think. Or take a hot shower to help release stress. Write in a journal how you feel, when you felt that way, and why. Keep track so that way you can avoid those triggers. Talk to people so they can understand. If someone does something that makes your mood change let them know that you don't like it. Find people who understand. Maybe you have a friend or someone you talk to when you need advice or help.
Anonymous
When you have rapid mood swings, you can try to give yourself time to think about what you will say, many times when we have mood swings we do not think about what we will say when we speak, and that can cause us to hurt other people even if we do not want to. , what I do is try to control myself and calm down before speaking. It is a good way to deal with this problem, although we cannot always deal with it, if we can reduce the impact it has on us, not hurting other people with what we say.
Anonymous
Its ok to have mood swings. If it is causing issues, then it needs attention. There are multiple ways in which mood swings can be addressed: 1. Meditation - Helps calm mind. Practicing meditation can help to reduce the frequency and intensity of mood swings. 2. Deep breathing - Helps in increasing the oxygen availability and better blood circulation. This can help relax. 3. Talk to a trusted person - Vent out. When one faces abrupt mood swings, its advisable to reach out to trusted people or forums such as 7cups to share your feelings. It can help reduce the intensity of it. 4. If the mood swings are very intense and out of control, medical intervention through consultation from a certified medical practioner s recommended.