Is it alright to express my emotions?

Cassandra Coleman-Heppler, LCSW, LICSW

I believe that problems are separate from the person having them and that our own stories and how we look at our own stories directly influences how we perceive those problems

gracefulVision25
Of course. There are many ways to express emotions that don't need to negatively impact on those around you...writing them down in a journal; using art to express them; chatting online to an active listener on 7 Cups of Tea; writing them down in a letter to the person you are wanting to express to, then burning or ripping up the letter. If you need to speak f2f with a person about how you are feeling, then maybe starting with "I" statements..."I feel ___ when you ___"
PashT007
Expressing emotions is a great thing. There's nothing better than being able to express how you are feeling.
Anonymous
Yes it is. Emotions are part of what makes us human and it is important for us to express them in order to feel balanced.
Anonymous
It is more than just "alright"! If there's one thing I know about emotions is that they're never wrong, so why hide them?
thisismejessica
I think what matters most is to be able to express your emotions genuinely and healthily. Sometimes we need to learn to express them healthily, though.
LoveIsLouderx0x
Everyone has a right to express their emotions, just remember there is always a time and place to do so, :)
Anonymous
yes emotions need to be expressed in a calm way if you don't express your emotions your emotions will eat you up
Steelymic
Of course it is. Why would you think it's alright? You should always feel that your feelings and emotions are valid.
There is the right place and time to express emotions..Just make sure if you want to express it you are at the right place and the right time.
TurnThePaige83
It is always a good thing to express what you feel. In some situations, it is a great way to get through tough times or just to connect with others.
here4you201
It is perfectly fine to express your emotions, in fact, it is not okay to not express your emotions. Expressing emotions is healthy and enhances our well-being.
calmZebra60
Of course! If anything, it will only get easier as time goes on. And it's easy to hurt yourself even just by holding onto them. Breathe, and remember the day will be ok.
BeyondEmpathy
Because emotions dont always have words, they are ineffable but need to be felt, experienced and accepted. Although it can be difficult and sometimes painful. In a safe space sharing how you feel can be freeing, and a release of a weight long held.
Anonymous
Of course it is! Everyone has the right to express their emotions. I think, everyone should. Of course there are places wherein you can do that properly and respectfully.
handsomeWillow14
Yes. It is imperative that you express your emotions. I used to keep my emotions to myself, and I realize that people will never understand you or your problems if you don't express. And more often that not they will take advantage of this and hurt you. Keeping your emotions to yourself becomes a burden after a while. It makes you feel lonely, like no one understands you, like no one cares enough to understand you. It will become like a time bomb that will explode at unfortunate moments.
PaigeBuju
It is not only alright, but you need to. If you bottle up emotions and don't express them, you only delay dealing with them. They will come out in ways that you don't expect and probably don't want. There is a peace that comes with expressing your emotions in a healthy manner.
Anonymous
Yes, expressing emotions is often a healthy choice. It is also worth considering how and when expressing emotions is helpful to you. For instance, you might think about what people create a safe space for you to express yourself and what methods of expression feel supportive. There might be situations where you may decide that it is not the right time to express emotions due to the situation or social setting creating a space where it is unhelpful to do so. Or there might be certain ways of expressing emotion that, upon reflection, are not healthy or helpful for you. Ultimately, it can be useful to express and process emotions and it is important to consider what methods and settings are best for you. Hope that helps!
tsipmunk
Of course sweety. We need to. Don’t think about what ifs if you do. If you’re scared, think of it as a goal you need to achieve. People wont be able to understand how you really feel and what you really want to happen if you dont show what you exactly want to express. But I understand that some people doesn’t, to avoid themselves from being embarrassed and judged. I think you just need to shove away that mindset because I’m pretty sure that those people who will appreciate you when you start expressing yourself is way more many (and im one of them) than those who doesn’t. Be free! Don’t limit yourself.