Is it possible to control my emotions?

Australia

Lauren Brody, Bachelor in Psychological Science, Advanced Diploma in Counselling and Psychology

I work in supporting individuals in reclaiming their lives from overwhelming thoughts and emotions and help them to take control

laurapb
Yes it is. You are the only one in control of your mind, decisions and emotions. You just need to be reminded how awesome you are, what a huge heart you've got and that you are a strong beautiful person. First, you need to determine what your emotions are and then, breath deeply, think before acting and act according to what you thing it's the right way to.
Zoyacheer
Yes. Once you get enough time to understand and analyze the emotions its quite easy to manage them. But the time required depends on the person.
TypicalPterodactyl
Sometimes. I tend to think of it like holding my breath, I can do it for a little bit, but then I can't anymore.
EnduranceX
I think that it's very possible but it's like a skill that does take time and practice but eventually I think you could get very good at it.
LoneWolf1010
definitely it is!! how? well... emotions are the play things of your consciousness... if you realize this logic and talk to yourself that its just something temporary and can be controlled... that's it.. all done... at beginning it feels like difficult.. as we do it regularly... its much easy and very helpful to be and stay happy!
Lovelysoul37
Yes, you can control your emotions.. Just breath in and breath out. There are many ways you can control your emotions.
Anonymous
Of course it's possible to control your emotions. It may take time, however, building strength can help
Tahsin
There are some emotions that over power us. Therefore, I wouldn't exactly say that we can control our emotions, but we can control how we conduct ourselves in spite of them.
kjaaquinn1
I have learned that my reactions do not have to be based on my emotions. As I have learned this I find my relationships are stronger
TeenWolf
yes you just need to find your happy place or maybe seek professonal help :) that may also help you cope with your emotions
StacyE
I don't believe you can control emotions but you can manage them in a healthy way. If you're "triggered" one of the ways to manage the emotions behind the "trigger" is to ask yourself, why am I triggered? What am I feeling? Is what I am feeling related to the current incident or is it from a wound that hasn't healed? Once you have that self-awareness of what is behind the emotions, then you can manage them better.
azulesmarinos
There is really no need to control them, but to understand the feeling and let it pass. For example, when you are angry, and think about it, you can understand angry starts when something hurts. If you let our self feel what hurts, the angry feeling goes. And if you feel the sadness for what hurts, you can also let it go.
MehakKaur
It requires a lot of practice and mental strength but it is definitely possible to control emotions.
Pinkribbonn88
I think that to control your emotions you have to understand them first. Once you can understand them you can be prepared in the situations that you know may lead you to feeling them and therefore in a way, control them.
RaleighC
Controlling your emotions works about as well as trying to control a thunderstorm from the ground. They're just something that happens, to everybody, all the time. You can learn how to express and manage them effectively, which is something that most of us begin to learn how to do when we're quite young. The important thing to remember about emotions is, like a thunderstorm, they have their moment and then they pass. If you feel like you need help managing your emotions or that you're overwhelmed by them, check out our self help guides o the site.
Anonymous
It is totally possible. But you do have to do it in a healthy manner where you allow and accept your feelings to be felt but also make sure you do not act on them and do something you would not like to do. First step is to accept your feelings without judging them. And you will see once you allow your feelings to be processed by accepting. They lose their grip on you and youcan think logically and solve any issue in a balanced manner
Seremonia
By learning meditation we could control our emotion, or by doing thing one step at a time completely finished. Then we can manage our emotion that would make us being able to control our emotion.
Kathlyng90
Yes, it can be with time and practice. It doesn't happen over night, and seeking professional help is the best way to learn to control your feelings.
Ven
Of course. Proper emotion management is essential to have a meaningful and peaceful life. It's hard to do at first but eventually, you'll get used to it.
redwhispers
Yes, it is always possible to control your emotions. If you feel like you have anger issues you should probably try to consult a counselor or therapist so you don't hurt someone or yourself.
Anonymous
Yes. I control mine all the time. It's hard to know how to, but once you get the hang of it, you can do it easily.
MedalsOfHonor
It depends on person to person on how they handle their emotions. Some feel relaxed after letting go all the frustration by various ways like shouting, crying, running, etc. While some others feel more comfortable in bottling it all up. Personally, I don't believe that emotions should be kept buried away in your heart for ever. Take your time, but let it out. Doesn't matter how long it takes for you to let go, but don't let it eat you from the inside. Don't bear the pain alone. Someone out there is willing to halve your pain. Give them a chance. :)
HerforU2580
November 1st, 2014 5:05pm
Yes you can if you know what triggers these emotions so you may have a better understanding of your emotions
molarbear
While emotions are often irrational, they need to be dealt with. You can bury them under the surface and keep your composure at times, but eventually you will need to confront them and come to terms with what you're feeling.
GoodGuyChad
Yep, but remember that they happen for a reason. There is probably something very valid about whatever you are feeling. The only consideration is how to express that emotion and when to express it.
Anonymous
Yes it's possible to control your emotions, some harder than others. Try finding what triggers those emotions first.
fromthesea
No it's not possible to control your emotions completely. It's okay to feel what you feel, everyone has their ups and downs and that's fine. You can push your emotions away, but in the end they'll find their way out.
Pandette
I do believe everyone has the ability to control their emotions, but it is definitely not an easy task. I mean, certain situations trigger certain responses, but we have to learn how to deal with those responses. If you know you are going to react in a certain way (ex. anger), try to prepare yourself so you don't become so angry or even take the time to walk away! :)
Artemis6
Yes it is. To control your emotions, usually means to not let them overpower you and not to suppressed them. In order to control our emotions, acceptance of the emotion is important, as acceptance would help us feel peace and thus help us manage and control our emotions better :)
Anonymous
All though it might seem hard, you can control your emotions. Different people have different methods. I usually try to take my mind off whatever is bothering me and think about something i have control over like the rate of my brethung, this calms me down.