Is it possible to control my emotions?

Maryna Svitasheva, PhD. RP

Psychotherapy I provide is based on a dialog and your active intention to look for a solution with the therapist's assistance

amiableAmy
Good news - it is possible! It may take some effort if it's something that you are struggling with but you hold the power to get them under control. I recommend first checking out the 7 Cups of Tea self-help guide on managing emotions: http://www.7cups.com/help-managing-emotions/ If you still find yourself struggling to regulate your emotions, professional therapy and/or some form of medication may be more helpful. But if you maintain a can-do attitude & really work towards getting your emotions under control you can get much better at it.
Anonymous
Yes. It is a long path and can take a lot of work and support from others, but emotions are a part of you that can be controlled in most situations. But don't hold back too much, it is important to also express how you feel and let people in.
Anonymous
yes all people have emotions its our ability to control them that makes us human if people didnt control there emotions the world would be chaotic
ConsolingWolf
Yes it is defenitely possible. In a sad state, when you want to learn how to fully control your emotions, be careful you don't remove/hide your happy emotions as it will affect your futur
truefrend
Yes , when you take time alone , think about the situation and your emotion about certain thing analyse it , you will understand how can that be controlled.
MotherDragon
January 21st, 2016 4:54pm
Not truly, you can try to control your emotions but they will always be there. Controlling your actions is not the same as controlling your emotions despite what some many think, just because you don't act on these emotions does not mean you do not still feel them and it important to get these emotions out in a non destructive way, such as drawing, building things, talking about your feelings, etc.
Anonymous
January 23rd, 2016 10:24am
yessss of course. Mind over matter. Just keep yourself relax and calm. Try to think before you move and if you cant try to avoid it to minimize wrong actions.
igetcha
Emotions are based on your thoughts. I know it's cliche but thinking happy thoughts really does help. I try to spend as much time as possible around positive people to stay sane. & whenever I'm in an unhealthy environment I detach & take everything w/ a grain of salt & remind myself what I'm really there for
MariaFC
I think it is possible to control expressing your emotions when it would be unhelpful or counterproductive to express them, but it's better to acknowledge emotions, say 'I feel this, and my feelings are valid, but I am deciding not to act on it right now.'
LifeGoessOnn
ofcourse its possible to control your emotions we are the one who give orders to ourselves if u can control they way you talk,walk and act that you can definitely control your emotions
- Expert in Managing Emotions
If you would like to be composed in front of others you can control your emotions in front of them. But always remember to deal with the emotions when you have the space and time to. Because if you don't then the emotions will build up and might cause a mess if it explodes at the wrong place and wrong times.
Anonymous
Anything is possible in life, emotions aren't hard to control just surround your self with positiveness and you'll be fine
Carleen00
This may be a touchy subject for many. I however believe that we choose how we feel. We may not always be able to choose the emotions we experince, but we can choose how to process them.
jaca
I believe that we can't control emotions. All we need to do is balance it. Balancing emotions could make you feel better than trying to control it.
Anonymous
Yes, if you know if you know how to calm down and take a step back from the situation. You have to find what works best for you, and the situation you're in.
TillyT
The first stage to managing your emotions is truly excepting them warts and all. Many people struggle to control their emotions because they want to admit they have negative ones, this put most their energy in denial: Accepting how you respond to things helps towards controlling your reaction. Imagine your emotions are phone calls, you see Anger is the caller id. Everyone's instinct is to ignore the call. But pick up and find out what anger has to say because this is how you feel rightly or wrongly. Once you acknowledge that emotion that's calling, you can talk about it x
Anonymous
I don't think it's compleley possible to control you emotions per say, but you can control how you react to them. For example when I feel upset about something I like to go to the gym and sweat it out!
Anonymous
Sometimes you can reduce the impact your emotions have, but you can't stop them completely. It is better to let yourself feel so you can work through your thoughts.
Anonymous
Yes, actually, it is. It will take a lot of hard work. patience, time and effort, but it can be done.
Anonymous
Yes it is, it will take time, and sometimes your emotions will be all over the place, but a good thing to start doing is writing down how you feel, everyday. It doesn't have to be written just think about how you feel in the moment.
Anonymous
Controlling your emotions iso possible. But to control it you have to let your mind wander first. For instance for you're experiencing anger just let the emotion get to you at that time. Later analyse, analyse how you react and what makes you feel that way. Knowing all this can help you ignore what makes you mad and encourage what makess you happy
Arakhthanda
Yes, I know that you can and it is definitely possible if you understand first how it works and what causes it in the first place. Once you do that, you will know how to deal with the emotion constructively.
Anonymous
Absolutely, though it can be easier said than done. You may want to consider working with a healthcare professional to help manage your fluctuating emotions.
Anonymous
Sometimes but not always; if you remind yourself that you can choose to be happy or sad then it gives you a little more control.
ShadowMirge
It is. There are ways to control your emotion or channel it into a more manageable one. The first step is to separate emotions that are acceptable and the ones that are destructive. It doesn't mean that you are suppressing them, it just means that you are turning it into something more positive.
calmingNight81
It is possible to manage your emotions, not necessarily control. It is okay to have emotions, even if they are inconvenient or even a hindrance. Your emotions will surface, likely no matter what you do. The important thing is what you do once you feel them. So you will probably not be able to control your emotions, but you can learn how to manage them
FlowerLiz2
December 3rd, 2018 7:40pm
Yes. You can try some breath work and meditation where you focus on your breath. Meditation is basically that we give our monkey mind something to play so we gain an outward perspective on the issue and can observe it from outside. Rather like a little child than that we actually are the emotions. We so become our own parents and parent ourselves like we'd parent our children. Kundalini Yoga is a great way to transform emotions. I can recommend starting with a beginners class somewhere in your region. You just feel how incredibly strong you become and all your emotions just flowing through you. Guiding you to where you actually want to be.