My whole life others would speak for me, so now I never know what to say when others ask for my thoughts. How can I learn to express myself?

Smita Joshi, BA Psychology / MA / Advanced EFT Practitioner

I am empathetic with my Clients going through emotional overwhelm and passionate in helping them. I am supportive, openminded & interactive in helping my clients.

Anonymous
Hello! I can relate to this quite a bit my parents have always told me my opinions weren't important and i should sit aside. My ex best friends always ignored the way i felt to suit their needs. However I recently moved to a different area with lots of great people and they are constantly asking me to speak up and it hurts because i don't know how to. This was back in January. Now although i'm not heaps better I am definitely trying. Here are some things to keep in mind - It is without a doubt going to be embarrassing. You will feel embarrassed about expressing yourself even though there's absolutely nothing wrong with it because you are conditioned to feel so. It's okay you will be embarrassed then what? nothing. Speak up. People will disagree with you and that will you force you back into your shell. Do not let them. Your opinions are valid, let yourself be heard you deserve it. If you're too scared to say it write it down and try to bring it up with them later. Do what you think is best for you and whatever ensures you are safe! Good luck!! You're doing amazing and im so proud of you :)