What are some of the best strategies to use in order to cope with difficult emotions?

Australia

Raifiel Cyril, Masters in Applied Psychology

Everyone needs a little support from time to time to take the next step. I am here to listen and help you achieve what your heart desires.

Anonymous
I find that making an effort try and label what emotions these are, look back at what happened and try to find out what caused it. Take time to discern them because they'll probably be jumping around like rabbits and have other emotions jumbled in the mix as well. Emotions are abstract, there are ineffable -which means they don't have an exact tangible form that can be grasped. Describing them or labeling them is one way to give them form. Whether it was infatuation, jealousy, anger, loneliness or even despair I would write poems, paint, play an appropriate piano piece, or simply work out or clean. Their purpose is to express them and/or channel them into some creative or productive outlet/activity. Negative emotions for me, aren't the only difficult ones to cope with. Even positive emotions such as excitement can deprive one of many a good night's sleep. Some activities have double purposes, such as working out; it's a very high energy way to bust the strain emotions put on us and our bodies as well as keeping us fit --as the say: a sound soul resides within a sound mind and a sound body --by Soul Eater (anime). These activities also help prevent one from being eaten by them because: one is productive and does not feel that helpless, and for some emotions, one is not letting it out in a destructive or harmful manner. At the end, you won't have to blame yourself for having down something because you aren't able to handle them. Handling them, like with many things, needs patience, practice and understanding. Get to know them better, because emotions simply are.
Anonymous
Distracting yourself, doing something physical, listening to (and singing along with) music, talking to others who feel bad, petting/cuddling a furry, friendly animal, writing and journaling, and helping others in distress are the best methods I can think of.
Anonymous
I use journalling, music, venting to my best friend, and self care like long baths and painting my nails.
PashT007
Focus on the positives, and surround yourself with people that celebrate you and the good in your life.
Anonymous
To stay in the present moment and focus on positive meditation. Being focused is extremely important.
Anonymous
I would suggest taking deep breaths but if these emotions go on for too long seek help immediately you should see your doctor or a therapist
drownyourdemons182
In my opinion, distractions. I listen to music, read, write, draw, just the small stuff that I love of hobbies to shoo away the emotions that seem too much.
considerateEmbrace86
Even though at sometimes it may seem best to push others out when you are going though things, finding someone to talk to rather it be someone you know or just another stranger on this site is the best way to cope. Keeping the emotions inside of you will just make you feel worse and over time there will be no improvements but, when you let someone else know it can releaviate some of that stress and pain that they may be bringing.
Anonymous - Expert in Managing Emotions
Best is to deal with the emotions one at a time, in ur own space at ur own time. Face the emotions go through with it. That's the only way to let it go.
Imfinexox
Controlled breathing always helps me but at the end of the day we are all human and it is good to cry and let all of our emotions out