What makes a person emotionally strong?

What makes a person emotionally strong?

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

Anonymous
I think what makes someone emotionally strong is adversity. The things they have faced in life and being able to handle criticism.
mkehelper
The strength to keep trying after a failure, loss, or setback is what makes someone strong. It's not whether you fall, it's whether you get back up.
Brittneym101
In my opinion not giving up is what makes a person emotionally strong, standing tall, and rising above all the negativity.
Anonymous
A person that is in charge of their emotions and is able to handle them in high-pressured events/situations.
KARA0822
Thinking that you are strong can make you strong. although you don't know it, words can be very powerful. Don't forget that words can make anything happen, as long as you believe.
Anonymous
Someone who is emotionaally string is someone who can go through the toughest things and still keep going.
mintybunny
It's up to each person. For me, it's the will to be persistent and push through the most difficult time in our lives. But for another person, it might be doing new or unexpected things, high adaptability, or a number of things. Ask yourself what you think makes you emotionally strong.
MrBoo
meeting the right person , a person that might change your whole life i believe only love can make a person emotionally strong , also a friend or a family member , sometimes a stranger .
HopieRemi
There are several things that can make a person emotionally strong. A lot of time it is how you react to things that happen to you and the experiences that you go through. Life is a classroom and you're learning as you go. You fall, you get back up. You get a scrape, you bandage it. Your emotional strength comes from you and only you can discover how to be strong.
ComfortingForest
August 3rd, 2016 12:25am
Being able to handle your emotions during a difficult time while helping another person deal with there's. For example I was at a funeral recently and it was a very hard time for me and my friends, but I knew if I wasn't there to hold there hands and hug them and comfort them it would have been a lot harder. It was still difficult for me, but I knew they needed my help more. For me that is being emotionally strong, being there for others even when you are feeling weak.
SWKCounselor
The ability to perceive emotions, reason with emotions, understand emotions, manage emotions, express emotions, and being able to discuss emotions with others.
Freebirdie
In my opinion, being able to feel emotions is what makes you strong. If you cry easily or are happy easily, you're strong. If very selective things make you emotional, you're emotionally less intense. So what makes a person emotionally strong? Being able to feel various emotions
Anonymous
Having a rational and positive self image and a skill to tackle situations in life positively, effectively and learning from past failures..
Anonymous
Respect and dignity also kind thoughts and emotions. Productive activaties and positive starts to days.
Vincentg
This is a fantastic question and by asking it you show true strength in your emotion, which is the ability to open up and put your emotions on the table for others to assess.
gentleWinter21
In my experience whenever i needed something to pull me back into reality and give me strength to deal with what ever problem i need to at the moment, i focus on something or someone i love. Try thinking about other experiences you've had. To me, remembering that I've been through worse and that i could be going through worse gives me strength i need. We can all be strong we just need to remember that when it's difficult
scotty4947
Interesting question. I think that going through such hardships in life and being to, eventually, overcome them (by whatever means necessary) makes a person emotionally strong. By 'whatever means necessary', I mean either talking to us, a therapist, and/or any person who's willing to listen, going to do physical activity to relieve stress, or any other healthy and productive way may help towards becoming better and emotionally strong.
SettledBreathing
Their ability to adapt to new emotional hardships and possess healthy coping mechanisms for emotional situations.
Anonymous
For me there has been a lot of rejections. And it's gonna sound cliche, but if you stay true to yourself, and believe what you do is right, then you will feel stronger, even though you fail.
Pleiades924
I believe being emotionally strong means you are self-aware, always challenging yourself and learning every day how to improve yourself. An emotionally strong person embraces reality, practices Radical Acceptance, learns how to adapt while not wasting energy on things they cannot control. Be kind, fair, well-balanced, unafraid to be outspoken, and learn how to take calculated risks.
Anonymous
Every person has a different psychology, so what works 100% for someone may not work even 40% for someone else, people say facing hardships/solving one's own problems/recovering from hardships make a person emotionally strong, but that never worked for me, So if you are interested in my suggestion that comes from my point of view and my experiences of life, here is what I have to say "Build up a strong self-esteem by helping people close to you, start with your family, help your mom in household matters, help your dad in gardening/marketing, help your siblings as much as you can, also help your neighbours if possible, if possible try to give some charity donations or blood donations, Within some weeks you will feel yourself becoming immune to outside pressures and life will feel like a great ride". But thats my point of view, and it would make me happy if it helps you. All The Best
Anonymous
Emotionally strong is basically what people think is caring less and all...but actually emotionally strong is to have feelings, being very emotional, but go with the flow. Try to move on. No one really moves on, and nobody really doesn't have feelings. Being emotionally strong is to except it and stop grieving. There's a difference between grieving and caring. Grieving has no point afterall. We get a limited time in this world, so we shouldn't waste it. Thank you.
beautifuldevil
September 2nd, 2016 10:18am
Emotional strength really comes from experiencing and enduring pain. It involves self -love and a strong support system. It's about knowing who you are and also not being afraid to ask for help when you need it. Being emotionally strong is a journey, more than anything else.
Anonymous
I think it's self control and mindfulness, seeing what will pay off in the long run, in every of their choices, even tiny ones. Also, they know that they're alone in this life and that they aren't there to impress anyone, be a certain way and justify themselves, again, that adds up to seeing what will pay off in the long run. Also staying authentic to yourself.
Nilo1602
When they know what they're feeling and why they're feeling that way, when they know how to deal with their emotions. Being emotionally strong is not the lack of feeling, but knowing them and how to not let them control you.
Anonymous
motivation , inspiration, strong leader(s). in order to be emotionally strong , you need to be confident.
Anonymous
A person, to me, is emotionally strong if they understand and accept their emotions as a part of life. If a person can let themselves feel their emotions, but recognize that things don't stay all bad or all good and understand that life goes on and things continue to change, they're emotionally strong....that's my opinion.
Anonymous
October 2nd, 2016 1:34am
When I am surrounded with people who care about me and when stress is down. I can't be emotionally strong when a situation is upsetting me.
fantasticPurple99
Learning to love themselves and love others no matter what they go through or how they want to live and be happy.
Anonymous
Understanding the situation. Understanding the situation from all sides helps the person realize that it is not "against" them. But, the context is just like that.