What makes a person emotionally strong?

What makes a person emotionally strong?

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

damselinthisdress
Being aware and accepting of themselves and their values is what makes someone emotionally strong. Values are not goals, values are something that you can look back at and be proud of. If we accept ourselves as who we are, learn to love ourselves without being selfish, and are willing to work towards our values in life, then we grow to become incredibly strong individuals who live life on their own terms.
shaquilleoatmeal
Emotionally strong people manage the stresses of daily life more effectively, and recover more quickly from challenges and crises when they arise. Since emotional strength refers to a person’s internal coping abilities, can we accurately judge a person’s internal fortitude based on what we see on the outside? Popular culture often portrays emotionally strong people as quiet, stoic types who never complain and whose emotional expression during crises is limited to jaw-squaring, fist-clenching, and silent dramatic stares into the horizon. Any signs of emotional ‘leakage’ (i.e., expressing emotional distress in any way) or tears (especially in men), is often viewed as evidence the person has difficulties coping and is emotionally weak. Such notions are not only incorrect but tremendously misleading. Emotional strength has little to do with stoicism and even less to do with any momentary reaction. Rather, emotional strength is something that can only be assessed over time. By definition, it involves a person’s ability to deal with challenges and bounce back from them, not how they respond in any given moment. For example, if two entrepreneurs invested five years in a startup that fails, which of them is emotionally stronger—the one who feels heartbroken and bursts into tears when funding falls through, or the one who feels heartbroken but keeps their emotions in check? The answer is neither—it was a trick question. (Sorry.) The person’s immediate reaction matters much less than what they do thereafter. Someone might break into tears in the moment, feel terrible for a week, but then bounce back and start working on their next big idea. A seemingly stoic person might appear to cope better in the moment, yet feel so defeated that they give up their entrepreneurial dreams altogether. In such a comparison, the "crier" clearly has more emotional fortitude than the "jaw-squarer," despite displaying greater emotional distress in their immediate response. Many of us judge ourselves incorrectly in exactly such scenarios. If we react emotionally or tearfully to challenging situations, we chastise ourselves for being "weak," even though we intend to persist and move forward, or even when we believe we will eventually succeed. Tears are usually a sign of frustration and disappointment, not defeat. What you believe about your future chances of success and how discouraged you feel in the long term is far more important than how your tear ducts respond to stresses and bad news. Wondering if you have emotional strength? Here are 7 ways to assess yourself and others: Emotionally strong people ... are less discouraged by setbacks and disappointments. are more adaptable to change. are able to recognize and express their needs. focus on getting around a hurdle rather than on the hurdle itself. can learn from mistakes and criticism. tend to see the larger perspective in a challenging situation. are able to recover more quickly from emotional wounds such as failure or rejection. article continues after advertisement If you don’t register strongly based on this list, take heart, because you can build emotional strength and resilience by working on your mindset and learning more adaptable responses to the daily distresses of life.
Shanaya26v
Emotionally strong people manage the stresses of daily life more effectively, and recover more quickly from challenges and crises when they arise. Since emotional strength refers to a person’s internal coping abilities, can we accurately judge a person’s internal fortitude based on what we see on the outside? Popular culture often portrays emotionally strong people as quiet, stoic types who never complain and whose emotional expression during crises is limited to jaw-squaring, fist-clenching, and silent dramatic stares into the horizon. Any signs of emotional ‘leakage’ (i.e., expressing emotional distress in any way) or tears (especially in men), is often viewed as evidence the person has difficulties coping and is emotionally weak. Tears are usually a sign of frustration and disappointment, not defeat. What you believe about your future chances of success and how discouraged you feel in the long term is far more important than how your tear ducts respond to stresses and bad news. Here are 7 ways to assess yourself and others: are less discouraged by setbacks and disappointments. are more adaptable to change. are able to recognize and express their needs. focus on getting around a hurdle rather than on the hurdle itself. can learn from mistakes and criticism. tend to see the larger perspective in a challenging situation. are able to recover more quickly from emotional wounds such as failure or rejection. THANK YOU
HelpfulArina
I believe a person is emotionally strong when, despite setbacks or hardships, they are able to believe and in hope, because it is a true force of nature. Hope keeps us aspiring and pushing. Hope keeps us going!
luminousMirage73
Facing with the problem makes you very strong emotionally. You cant say: I am leaving and I want to forget everything. You must stay and face with all your fears...
Anonymous
Each person has an IQ, but we also have an EQ. When you are able to handle stress well, show respect and kindness to others, love people unconditionally, follow the golden rule of "treat people how you want to be treated", you may be strong emotionally. There isn't a black and white of it, so everyone is some shade of gray. Being strong means you possess some of those qualities :)
CompassionVigilante
I would characterize emotional strength as the ability to overcome challenges and adapt one's self to new situation without becoming overtly stressed, anxious or depressed. Emotional strength is developed in the same manner as physical strength, through constant practice, perseverance and conditioning.
YouCanTellMePH
Being emotionally strong means that you are able to confront your emotions and not run away from them.
GiaAid
I think a lot of people have a different definiton of what makes a person emotionally strong. I believe this is affected by their own experiences in life. Being strong to me is not having a guard up and keeping everything secret. Being strong is letting yourself break and cry and crumble to the ground and embracing it. Being strong is having the guts to say you are breaking or you need help. Being strong may not involve telling another person, it may just mean you admit to yourself that you are NOT ok. Being strong is having the strength to open yourself to more pain in order to get better. For a long time I thought being strong was holding it all in and not letting anyone know I was hurting. But crying doesn't mean you're weak it means you've been brave for too long. When I have my down days where I am alone and I cry to myself. I do not think of myself as weak anymore, I know I will feel more pain letting it out but I know I will feel better and become stronger for admitting I have had my hurts and pains but they define me and make me strong.
Mizzy98
Their experiences. As much as you hate the problems you must face, they build you up and make you stronger. So love yourself and never ever put yourself down for feeling. Feelings are human nature and crying or breaking down doesn't make you weak at all.
BlueberryPuffin17
Knowing how to handle your weaknesses, I think. It is not like there are people who never feel fear, or anxiety, or sadness, or any other type of negative emotion. And circumstances change all the time, you never know what might happen around the corner. So being able to respond to where you know you are most vulnerable is the best you can do.
allylucille66
I think that an emotionally strong person is somebody who still kicks ass even when they are hurting deep inside. I think that an emotionally strong person is in touch with their feelings and can face them.
mthilliard
An emotionally strong person does not let others' thoughts or actions change their mindset. An emotionally strong person does not allow their perception of other people's idea of him/her change his/her mindset. An emotionally strong person takes strength from him/herself, not from others.
Amy890
Ability of controlling own emotions, both very positive and very negative. Ability of coping with own emotions and making your mind silent when there is a need
MattySpaghetti
Beeing Emotionally strong does not mean, that you will never cry, never feel helpless or scared. It means that you can face your emotional state, that you can cry, hide and fear, but beeing okay with it. It means that you are not scared to feel emotions.
SuzySue89
The ability to learn from emotionally difficult situations and grow without closing oneself off to protect oneself. Daring to still be open even after being hurt.
Beautifulminded
What makes a person emotionnaly strong is the will go on. Yes, they may fall into everyday struggles, or possibly something bigger, but it doesn't stop them from continuing on. You don't need to be happy ever moment of your life or day. It's okay to feel the way you are, to not have smile on your face. You have to face your problems and struggles, but people who hold their head up high and refuse to let them get torn down are the strong one's. Pushing through, letting themselves move on from it, not letting this be who they are, those are the strong one's.
anicetry
December 23rd, 2017 3:23am
Their motivation to grow. The most "strong" people I know, and those I look up to more than any others, are those who recognize their own flaws and seek to learn from them, to become better people. That is the kind of person I aim to be.
Anonymous
self love is the biggest thing to emotional strength, alot of people confuse that with being selfish and others take confidence for granted but it's at those rough times where you're confidence kicks in and possibly saves you
Joye74
Hard work, experience, will power and endurance to challenges. Everyone is different emotionally so there are variety of ways an individual develops emotional strength.
Akshita0612
Set reasonable goals and follow through with them. Make yourself strong against negativity. Use positive self-talk to build your mental and emotional strength. Learn to stay calm under pressure. Let go of the little things. Change your perspective. Have a positive outlook.
colourfulUnicorns17
Making a person emotionally strong includes having the right emotional help, learning how to deal with tough situations, and having a positive attitude.
UnsilencedHippieLovexx
Managing the stresses of daily life more effectively, and recovering more quickly from challenges and crises when they arise.
hopefulEnergy21
Emotionally strong people are able to identify, acknowledge and respect the variety of emotions and know how to transition between emotions, while appreciating the importance of each one.
lucionic
I think a person's ability to deal with bad experiences and still come out of it as a good person who cares about others' happiness makes them a strong person. Not giving up on others even when others had forsaken you is a really important part of that too I think.
InFairness
I think the ability to accept that emotions are a natural thing and to embrace them rather than deny them is a key part to being emotionally stable. often when we arent able to express ourselves we erupt ...giving the impression we are emotionally unstable.
Anonymous
They don't let anyone discourage them, they focus on their SELF and their happiness. They focus on getting around a hurdle rather than on the hurdle.
laylajewelz
March 2nd, 2018 6:40pm
Patience, compassion, being slow to anger and desperate for peace keeping. Being gentle, kind, and giving.
Anonymous
A coworker told me that experience is the only thing that builds character. If you've traveled many emotional paths (good or bad), you'll become more familiar with them. You'll be able to control your emotions before they control you. For example; integrity might not be an easy skill to conquer for most people but the longer we practice being truthful, the easier it becomes. Eventually, it builds us and becomes part of our character/overall persona. Experience makes us who we are.
MotherWillow93
Embracing your emotions and acknowledging they are there. Not lashing out on others when you feel negative emotions. You can cry, scream, or yell..just not at people who don't deserve it. Communicate instead.