What should I do when my boyfriend ignores me?

★ This question about Relationship Stress was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Linda Miland, MA

I have a passion to help individuals address and challenge thoughts ,feelings and lifestyle factors that are contributing to mental health issues.

Anonymous
Try communicating with him, tell him openly how you are feeling, and what you perceive his actions to be. Best case scenario, he won't have meant to ignore you. And worse case scenario, he now knows how you are feeling and you can hopefully work forward from there!
Tell him that you understand that he needs the space and time and that you are ready if he wants to talk. Then give him the space and time to come back and talk to you.
Anonymous
You should get him jealous. Get all over another guy. There is no way he's going to see you with a guy and not react to it. And if he doesn't he isn't the one.
SaraMichelle
Tell him how you feel. If he respects you enough to change his ways then he's good but if he doesn't change then it may be time to let him go.
Carleen00
Tell him how you are feeling. People don't always know what we need. It is our responsibility to keep lines of communication opened with our partners so they do.
Arakhthanda
I would actually ask about what makes him ignore you. If he continues to ignore, the best strategy is to actually allow him to have time for trying to respond to you and then, later on, break up if he still chooses to do so since a relationship is a two-way communication.
LonelyAngels
First, ask yourself, Why does your boyfriend ignores you? Did you do something wrong? If u then assured that you think you didnt do anything then its the time to ask him properly and calmly, :)
Anonymous
Think about why he might to this, how he feels/has been feeling lately, if he's going through a hard time. Try to get a chance to talk to him, show empathy and tell him how him ignoring you makes you feel.
CDoce
You should talk to him seriously and ask him for clarify. And, together, decide what's the best for both of you.
Anonymous
Well if he wants to act like you aren't there then maybe have you considered that you don't need to be there? Maybe take in a movie or a stroll on the beach? Read a book or do something that you enjoy?
Anonymous
Talk to him about how you feel, if he ignores you make him talk to you. You could ignore him and that would bring his attention to you then talk to him about the problem.
traveller88
Talk to him about how you feel and arrange romantic dates (a walk to the park, drive to the beach, picnics, movie nights- it doesn't have to be expensive) where you dedicate time focused entirely on each other
StayAwesome
Don't get yourself too worked up about it, at first. Maybe he's going through a tough time and he just needs his distance. We all struggle through stuff and we sometimes prefer some space. Ask him about it later on. Just talk it out. Avoid fighting because it rarely solves misunderstandings. In fact, it causes more trouble in a relationship.
Anonymous
I would try to contact him first, maybe via a telephone ring or text message. I would try to contact him in person at school? If he kept ignoring me, I would ask his best friend politely if anything was going on and that he should tell my boyfriend that I feel as if he is ignoring me and we should talk about it.
Anonymous
Perhaps find the root cause and address it. Different situations are different. Just like headaches can happen for different reasons so can the act of ignoring happen for different reasons. What should you do when you have a headache? Depends on what's causing the headache.
Katheryn
Talk to him! He is your boyfriend, so you two obviously care about each other and maybe even love each other. Seems like you might need to have a conversation about the fact that you feel like he is ignoring you and how that makes you feel. The only way to find out what is really going on is to talk it out, honestly, openly and respectfully.
Anonymous
Hi. He may just be busy? Still, you could let him know how it makes you feel and that you would like him to reply sooner if possible.
MadilynRose
Maybe ask him if anything is bothering him. Sometimes, we get preoccupied or distracted, and end up ignoring those we care about. It might be that there's something on his mind, and if you ask him, it might be a relief for him to know you're there to talk about it. If not, give him some time, maybe. We never know what's going on in someone else's mind. :)
Anonymous
When your boyfriend ignores you, it is usually for a specific reason. Don't go digging buried holes for answers but ask him face to face, therefore he can't ignore you or run away. Based n experience, if he does run away, he isn't worth your valuable time.
Aventurina
This is really down to your personal character... There is no 'One Way' to do, that which guarantees that it will give you the attention that you might be wanting from your boyfriend there and then. But, there a couple of experiments you might like to try to see what way is the best way to get through to him. Perhaps when he finally decides to give you the attention you deserve, you can try calmly letting him know how ignoring you made you feel, and if you both could find a way how to better communicate to each other what is happening the next time that it happens. Like for example: you can try going up to him jumping up and down next to him, basically be annoying...until he would HAVE to look at you. Another experiment which you can try which is on the borderline of passive aggression is to ignore him in turn..on purposely.. until he would 'beg' you not to, and then ask him how that felt... basically letting him know that you feel the same way when he ignores you. Perhaps you can even try looking into what he is doing when he's ignoring your. Is he playing a game or studying for something important. Perhaps you could both discuss on setting a time where he could give you the attention that you need. Again the best way is to find the time when you are both quiet together, and speak about how behaviour makes you feel. Together try finding a way of what you can do when this happens. :) Do honour the emotions that arise inside of you when you feel ignored, you need not be ashamed of it. When discussing discuss the behaviour rather than attacking him for who he is.
dreamweaver76
When your boyfriend is ignoring you, DO NOT push him to talk. That may only make matters worse. Give him some space and give yourself some time to think over why he might be ignoring you. If you know why he is ignoring you, think about what you may have done wrong to empathize with him. But the number one thing to do is give him a little time to cool off, as well as yourself so you don't say something you don't actually mean. Then tell him how you feel when he does that in a calmly matter and ask him if he wants to talk about it.
Anonymous
that is a wondering question, I sense that you are feeling ignored and not listened to by someone you love?
eitakbuzz
I would send him a message telling him you don't appreciate being ignored, and ask him if there's any reason he's ignoring you. After that, I would recommend distracting yourself, with friends and family, until he responds. That way you have a bubble of support for when you feel low.
SAMHITA
try to give him his space till he understands how important you are to him and that he should not ignore you
Sweetlolly11
If it's a text message for a couple of hours or if he falls asleep while talking, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, but if he avoids you on purpose or acts like you aren't there when you're with him, that's a serious issue you need to discuss with him. Things like this can only be solved with communication.
HereToListen2You
You should talk to your boyfriend, ask them why they are acting this way. If they still aren't helping you figure out the answers, you make have to contemplate whether they are the one for you?
AnneLila
May be I will try few times asking whats wrong with him......... But if he still ignores me, i will move on thinking that he doesn't deserve me.... Thats it!
Anonymous
give it time so you know why he didn't respond before deciding what to do don't overreact as you don't have any clue what's going on on the other end
Anonymous
boyfriend ignoring means either he has lost interest in you or he dont have anytime for you. in both case best thing to do is to surprise him with sweet lovely or intimate gesture
clariageorge
If your boyfriend is being ignorant towards you, try speaking alone with him about it. However if he is again ignorant, you need to rethink and question yourself as to why you are in this relationship.