What should I do when my boyfriend ignores me?

★ This question about Managing Emotions was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Linda Miland, MA

I have a passion to help individuals address and challenge thoughts ,feelings and lifestyle factors that are contributing to mental health issues.

EllenaWhite
Just give him space and let him go to you in his own time. He may be feeling emotional or stressed and might be ignoring you for that reason. Also, just communicate. Let him know that you feel he's ignoring you.
blissfulGrace86
You should distinguish if he does it on purpose or not ... if he is doing it on purpose then you must ignore him too cause you aren't a priority in his life
Queen214
Try to sit down and talk to him in a setting where he feels comfortable. Also don't demand a answer.
ListenerEvan
Make it clear how you feel but first ask yourself "do I listen to him?" Think about how important listening is as a quality in someone.
Anonymous
First you should approach them and let them know you're feeling ignored and hurt. Ignoring someone can be a sign of rejection and it is very damaging in relationships.
glisteningLynx61
Well your boyfriend shouldn't be ignoring you . Consider that maybe he is just busy or has a lot going on at the moment which doesn't mean you aren't worth his time it just means he doesn't want to do anything or react in a way that would hurt you . If you know for sure he's just ignoring you then just go on about your life after trying to open a discussion of why you feel that way without making him feel like he's in trouble and well if he continues then maybe you might need to break up with him . But that's not always the case :)
kindForest39
March 23rd, 2016 5:50pm
Evaluate the relationship, maybe you both need space, maybe you have said something to upset them, or maybe it is coming to end, or he could just be busy the best thing to do is to go in with a clear calm head and sort things out face to face so you can both express how you feel and you can both reach a conclusion, and that will also stop you hating each other.
LizardPerson
Tell him how that makes you feel. Communication really is key. Being ignored is a very hard thing to deal with. Maybe he doesn't realize he is doing it and is genuinely busy. Just have a conversation with him, preferably face to face, and tell him what's up.
Anonymous
From my experienced, please try to understand him as well , keep the reason on your why he was ignore ? Maybe he was busy ... keep understand your partner side.. and try to talk to him about your feelings and ask him to spend some little time with you ...
Anonymous
Talk to him about it. You can't expect things to work if you don't communicate. Don't assume the worst, though, you never know the potential reasons.
SympatheticPrune2001
If it is short, everyone is busy. With work, he might be out with friends. If its long term, you might question whether he is right for you.
amazingPuppy99
Sometimes simply asking the question "Why are you ignoring me?" can open the communication to start understanding and working on solutions together.
EmpathicVision
Well, first and foremost is observing the situation objectively. You feel ignored. What is he doing that makes you feel that way? What behavior would make you feel heard? And then gently (without accusing him of ignoring you, although I know it can be tempting) bring up the situation. Maybe ask if there is something on his mind, or let him know that his opinion is valuable to you. Addressing the issue in a caring and open manner helps take away the possible sting of accusation and the reactive defensiveness that often comes with it. Hopefully he will be open to sharing his side of what is going on and to listen to you. Don't forget to be open and to listen to where he is coming from too!
MadilynRose
Maybe ask him if anything is bothering him. Sometimes, we get preoccupied or distracted, and end up ignoring those we care about. It might be that there's something on his mind, and if you ask him, it might be a relief for him to know you're there to talk about it. If not, give him some time, maybe. We never know what's going on in someone else's mind. :)
Anonymous
Address the elephant in the room. Putting the issue under the carpet is never a solution. Tell him how you feel and have an healthy discussion about the matter. I'm sure it's gonna be alright :D
Anonymous
Try and talk to him, or access why he is ignoring you. If its for a reason try and fix it. If its for no reason ignore him back
WonderlandRabbit
Communication definitely is key in a relationship, and in a relationship its no longer just about yourself. Make sure you tell your boyfriend how you feel, and ask him why he ignores you.
Anonymous
When your boyfriend ignores you, it is usually for a specific reason. Don't go digging buried holes for answers but ask him face to face, therefore he can't ignore you or run away. Based n experience, if he does run away, he isn't worth your valuable time.
Anonymous
In a personal exercise, us a kind and respectful tone and ask he to chat with you about the issue that has him feeling that way and share his thoughts with you openly.
3amthoughts
From what I know, it's best to comfort him about it. Communication is the key of every successful relationship.
Anonymous
Discuss with him how you feel. Make sure he listens to you and tell him exactly how you feel. If he disregards your feelings then do the same to him. You deserve better.
PileOfRubbles
Ignore him back. If he keeps doing it. Search for the problem. If the problem persists i advise looking for someone who cares about you
ErictheRed7
Make the Boyfriend regret doing it. Tease. Entice. You also need to ask him as to why...after a couple of hours or the next day. Communicate.
Swahzycorn
Ask him what's wrong. Try to talk to him, and see what's up. Engage in conversation as companions and see what;s happening.
JoeyMathew
Keep your mind busy, by doing things that please you (reading, singing, dancing, cooking etc) and make sure that your mind doesn't get the slightest chance of being bothered by his ignorance. He surely must be busy with some sort of work. He'll get back to you ASAP. You know that! :) Until then, stop worrying about it by keeping yourself busy! :)
MyNameIsWilliam
To definitely have a chat with him. Try to ask him gently and in a calm environment why this might be. It could be because of either how he himself is doing emotionally or maybe that he's worried about your relationship, etc. Be careful not to be judgmental immediately as there could be many reasons why he is doing what he's doing.
gangachan
Don't jump to conclutions.Gently express to your boyfriend that you have something you want to share with him.
eitakbuzz
I would send him a message telling him you don't appreciate being ignored, and ask him if there's any reason he's ignoring you. After that, I would recommend distracting yourself, with friends and family, until he responds. That way you have a bubble of support for when you feel low.
ShiningStar87
Talk to him. It might seem frustrating but there might be something bothering him that he doesn't feel comfortable talking about. I have ignored people in the past because I was too afraid to talk to them about something, and I have also been ignored in similar situations. Every experience is different, you have to figure out what the problem is and whether it is workable or not. Reassure them that you will listen and will not judge them, and see from there.
SAMHITA
try to give him his space till he understands how important you are to him and that he should not ignore you