What should I do when my boyfriend ignores me?

★ This question about Relationship Stress was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Linda Miland, MA

I have a passion to help individuals address and challenge thoughts ,feelings and lifestyle factors that are contributing to mental health issues.

Anonymous
Discuss with him how you feel. Make sure he listens to you and tell him exactly how you feel. If he disregards your feelings then do the same to him. You deserve better.
PileOfRubbles
Ignore him back. If he keeps doing it. Search for the problem. If the problem persists i advise looking for someone who cares about you
ErictheRed7
Make the Boyfriend regret doing it. Tease. Entice. You also need to ask him as to why...after a couple of hours or the next day. Communicate.
Swahzycorn
Ask him what's wrong. Try to talk to him, and see what's up. Engage in conversation as companions and see what;s happening.
JoeyMathew
Keep your mind busy, by doing things that please you (reading, singing, dancing, cooking etc) and make sure that your mind doesn't get the slightest chance of being bothered by his ignorance. He surely must be busy with some sort of work. He'll get back to you ASAP. You know that! :) Until then, stop worrying about it by keeping yourself busy! :)
MyNameIsWilliam
To definitely have a chat with him. Try to ask him gently and in a calm environment why this might be. It could be because of either how he himself is doing emotionally or maybe that he's worried about your relationship, etc. Be careful not to be judgmental immediately as there could be many reasons why he is doing what he's doing.
gangachan
Don't jump to conclutions.Gently express to your boyfriend that you have something you want to share with him.
ShiningStar87
Talk to him. It might seem frustrating but there might be something bothering him that he doesn't feel comfortable talking about. I have ignored people in the past because I was too afraid to talk to them about something, and I have also been ignored in similar situations. Every experience is different, you have to figure out what the problem is and whether it is workable or not. Reassure them that you will listen and will not judge them, and see from there.
Angel80L
If it happens once or twice? Then he may just be buzy. Give him some space (but not too much!). If it's a regular occurrence? Sit him down and tell him how it makes you feel, let him know that you would like abit more attention from him and explain very carefully that you aren't angry or annoyed, just slightly hurt. Hope this helps!
PaperGirl5
Feeling neglected by a loved one is never an enjoyable experience. When we feel ignored by the person we consider closest to us-- we can become temperamental and become distant ourselves. A positive approach to this situation is simply communicating your concerns to your significant other. By letting them know that you feel neglected or ignored in an open, and honest way--you are inviting them to respond in a positive manner. If you approach the situation with hostility and frustration, you will more than likely put your partner on the defense and minimize any chance of conversation about the situation. Open and loving conversation about your feelings will help your significant other to understand your side of things without putting anyone to blame.
Anonymous
If your boyfriend is ignoring you he is probably mad at something you did or isn't feeling the "spark" anymore. I think you should talk to him about it and maybe you'll find out why. Hope I helped xx
Anonymous
I would try to reach out to him and tell him how he's making you feel. If you tells him it hurts you and makes you question your relationship see how he responds. If he cares enough about your relationship and your feelings, he should know ignoring you is wrong and he should try to make it better.
Anonymous
Communicate, perhaps ask him what is going on, finding out if anything has happened, allow him to know how you are feeling, so that a solution can be sorted out.
Anonymous
Understand that he need space. Send him a message that you are here if he needs you. Give it time. If it is about the relationship, wait for him to approach you.
Anonymous
Let him have his moment, contact him when you think the storm pass away. Bhut if it still doesn't chanfe confrontnhim.
nebu5514
When your boyfriend ignores you, ask him if everything is okay, and make sure he know how it makes you feel when he ignores you.
Anonymous
Ignore him, too. Maybe he is occupied with other things. Send him a message before you go to bed. If he loves you and cares for you he will show you.
Anonymous
Sit him down and personally have a conversation with him, telling him exactly how you feel. Question if there's something wrong.
Smrtbibliophile
I think it depends on the situation. Sometimes we feel ignored when in reality someone is just busy or occupied with other things. If he's ignoring you after a fight, it might mean that he needs time to cool off. The best response I can say without knowing the exact situation is to talk to him when you get a chance - let him know you felt ignored, hear his side.
Anonymous
Hunny, if he's ignoring you he isn't right for you. He shouldn't ignore the one he claims to love even if he is mad you two should talk it through and not result to that.
thesecretkeeper1115
If he ignores you, then, ask him why. Don't tolerate it. But, don't be quick in jumping into conclusion. Honesty and openness should be the key.
Anonymous
it would be annoying if you would try to talk to him all the time so ignore him too, and if he misses you he will text back one day
AshleyHolden93
You should ask him directly why he is doing so. If he does not respond or responds with an answer that indicates he is not interested anymore, then you should not waste your time and attention on him when he is not reciprocating to you. However, if you feel that he has things on his mind and needs some space, realise and understand that sometimes you can help by just being there when he actively asks and seeks your help. It does not immediately mean that something is wrong in your relationship if he is ignoring you.
breathelistenunderstand
Try and talk to him and explain to him that you feel ignored. Ask him why he is doing it and suggest ways you would feel more special. If he continues to ignore you you may have to consider getting some help by a professional relationship adviser.
singinginrain
I would say be open with him about it. You don't know maybe he is not ignoring you on purpose and if he really is then you'll find out the reason and maybe you'll find a way to solve it together.
CardinalHearts
He could be in a bad mood at the moment. Let him be for a while, then try again. If that doesn't work,then try asking him about it.
BenevolentLove
If you boyfriend is ignoring you, please meet with him and talk about it face to face. If he is having some issues with you, then sit and clarify them.
Anonymous
I can't give you advise, because only you would know how to react with it and what to say so it doesn't blow up in your face.
TheGrowingCaterpillar
I would have a conversation with him and see if it was done on purpose, or maybe if it is miscommunication. Then express to him or her how you felt when they ignored you, and you both and go from there.
Anonymous
Talk to him, if he doesn't answer - go out, have fun, don't waste your attention on him. Let him come to you, give him a set time e.g. 3 days, to talk to you - and if he doesn't dump him