What should I do when my boyfriend ignores me?

★ This question about Relationship Stress was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Linda Miland, MA

I have a passion to help individuals address and challenge thoughts ,feelings and lifestyle factors that are contributing to mental health issues.

Anonymous
Do things to keep your mind off of him! Maybe he just needs a bit of space to himself for awhile, and perhaps you do too! If it really is bothering you, messaging him asking nicely why he is ignoring you is also an option.
Ametrine
Give him space and take a break for yourself. Meet your body's needs and continue about your day. Focusing on being ignored will cause unnecessary worry. When he comes back around again--Have a conversation about why he's behaving that way and how it made you feel to be ignored.
AnneLila
May be I will try few times asking whats wrong with him......... But if he still ignores me, i will move on thinking that he doesn't deserve me.... Thats it!
MostColorfulHello
People need space to handle and process their own lives - so putting yourself in their position and understanding is a necessity. Give it time.
emb987
Open and honest dialogue is always key to a good relationship. Express how being ignored makes you feel to your boyfriend and have a level conversation about it.
KiSummer
Call or ask him once or twice to explain the situation ...if you don't get a reply, let him come to you. Sometimes this is the easiest way for a guy to initiate a breakup. It's not easy to let go, but if he can ignore you, you deserve better.
avis
It depends on the reason behind his ignoring you. Is it something you did to hurt him? Or is it because he's being mean? Is it a means to punish you? Is it's something that happens often? Is ignoring you his way of communicating his dismay at something? Have you been given a warning before the ignoring happens? Have you asked him directly the reasons behind the ignoring? Lately, have certain of your actions repeated caused tension between your relationship with him? Depending on the reasons behind his actions of ignoring, there are different ways to deal with it! Generally, ignoring your boyfriend or girlfriend to achieve a goal isn't a very loving or effective way of communication. There are healthier ways to communicate unhappiness, anger, or frustration. If you realize this as a consistent trend, is it possible for you to talk to him about why he uses ignoring you as a way to communicate? Ultimately, we have the power to express that we don't like being treated a certain way. If being ignored is hurting your feelings and the relationship between you and your boyfriend, it's definitely something worth talking about. The key here is communication.
cytomatic
You shouldn't overreact and start jumping onto conclusions because he's probably busy. But if he leaves you on read then you shouldn't put your mind on it, distract yourself . He has to have a good reason on why he's ignoring you
Anonymous
I'm not supposed to give out advice because it could cause complications, but if you have an idea for what you should do tell me and I'll help improve it.
Anonymous
He probably doesn't ignore you. Solution: talk to him! 1) Tell him how you feel about what happened. You would be surprised but men can be very good listeners :) 2) After you explain how you feel, listen to what he says. And by "listen" I mean "LISTEN". Stop convincing yourself: "no, he ignored me, no, he ignored me....". 3) Think TWICE before you say/do something. Girls have a tendency to exaggeration. We always come up with silly stories (the stories behind a true story). Example : A boyfriend postpones to introduce his girlfriend to his parents. He says: "You'll meet them next time". He thinks: "Next time, so I could organise a proper family meeting. I want eveyone to meet my girl!". The girl replies:"Ok. No problem." But she really thinks: "I bet he doesn't love me any more".
Anggi
You should ask him directly why he's been ignoring you, so if there's any misunderstanding it can be cleared up soon :)
Ieatkrogans
He might be busy. Keep in mind that he isn't ignoring you to hurt you and his silence communicates nothing. Unless he is an asshole, then dump him.
Anonymous
First of all, talk to him. Ask him why he's doing so. When you make things clear, you will realize next step whether tp move on or try for it to work out.
compassionatelife
well if my boyfriend ignores id walk up straight to him and ask for some time that we both can spend together but if this habit of ignoring continues id threaten him that i am going away (sometimes its necessary to make him realize your worth)
Anonymous
The best way to deal with relationship is to confront or face it. It is best to bring this to the boyfriend as itwill help in improving communication and clear misunderstanding.
Anonymous
try and understand why he ignores you and maye try and tell him that you feel ignored adn that he should pay you more attention, usually telling someone what you want and need helps alot cause most times they dont know
seesarrow
Ask yourself why he is ignoring you, but don't spend too much time worrying about it. Please care about yourself first.
Suzy222
I think that it is important to discuss it with your boyfriend. Let him know that you are feeling ignored, and work out a solution with each other that works for you both. It is important to be open in a relationship so don't be afraid to let them know how you're feeling.
Anonymous
Try to think about that, what was cause that, if is it something what you done, try to correct that if you care. If its something up to him, try to wait a little give him space if he want it, or try to talk with him maybe he save some kind of problem, maybe he don't want to drag you into that, like he protecting you.
Anonymous
Why does he ignore you, do you know? Does he get upset and ignore you because he wants to cool down so he doesn't say something hurtful? (I know I've done this). Does he express to you why he does it, or does it seem to have no correlation?
peachysunny
you should if this is a one off wait untill he is talking to you again but if it is a regular accurance than brake up with him if its making you un happy you deserve to be happy and if hes not making you happy you dont need him in your life.
originalLion57
Why does he ignore you? Is he being mentally/emotionally abusive and manipulative? And does he have some issues that he hasn't worked through which has made him react in this way whenever you're having a rough time together? Try to figure out why he does what he does and see if there's anything you can do about it together if he wants to improve things as well.
katiebelle
Contrary to popular belief, he might not be ignoring you intentionally. He may be worried about his grandmother in the hospital. He may be stressed about passing his Calculus class. He may have just been feeling down lately, and just been too afraid to tell anyone. You really can't know unless you ask. That being said, give it a day or two. One of my biggest mistakes was hounding a guy who started ignoring me because I was concerned about him and missed him too much. Give him a little space and then, nicely, ask him how he's been. Remind him that you're there for him. If he's intentionally ignoring you, let him go. You can do so much better.
Anonymous
There are many reasons why your boyfriend may ignore you. It could be from family pressure, school/work pressure, or perhaps he may be trying to deal with some issues of his own, which he does not wish to worry you with. Give him some time, and some space. After awhile, do ask if anything is disturbing him, and if you can help him in anyway. You are two gorgeous individuals on a journey together :) give him his room to grow, while supporting him. I am sure your relationship will flourish :)
HisBestFriend1030
Let the day pass and maybe continue the conversation once everyone has blown off some steam. We tend to say things we don't mean when we are angry and all we need is just some space. There may be thoughts of other issues going on but we can't think of the worst case scenario we can only let the day pass and see if you can pick up a conversation at a later date when both parties are thinking clearly.
PeaceForYou
I would explain to him how he is making me feel when he ignores me and try and have a conversation about it..
sadi1994
Try to ask him what's wrong. Have a chat with him and try to figure out if something is bothering him right now.
Gilbertron
Give him those walking papers because if he ignores you and don't have time for you then he don't deserve you.
Anonymous
Know that you don't deserved to be ignored. You are a human who has emotions. Being ignored sucks and make sure he knows that you have feelings too.
Anonymous
I had a similar situation with my girlfriend, and I made it so that she couldn't just ignore me anymore. I made it so that I was an irreplacable being in her heart and mind.