When strong emotions take over, what activities help you return to a more balanced state?

Brittany Kelley, MSW, LCSW

I am a psychodynamically trained clinical social worker. I find assisting women and families through difficult times an extremely rewarding and collaborative process.

Anonymous
Going to a trip with close people could really help. Instead of staying at home some activities could always get mind off. Games like football, cricket and others which require active participation and physical presence could really help in this aspect. Also, talking to a friend about your tough time changes the way you start looking at things.
LendingEars
When your emotions seem like a little too much to handle, try finding a positive outlet to channel those emotions. Try painting, music, sports, writing, meditation, etc. Find a place to put those emotions, rather than bottling them up for it to happen again.
nicolllexadams
Definitely meditation and exercise of some sort. I also will journal and sometime read. I will do anything that will help me relieve my feelings in a healthy way that will benefit me while not bringing down anyone else.
Serenityangel1983
I listen to soothing music, talk to my husband or another supporter, spend time with my dog, take a walk, drink plenty of water, and watch a sit com or movie to re-group.
CoffeeTeaAndHonesty
I do what's called "flow activities," which is basically any activity you can do and "lose yourself" in doing it; it's activities that challenge you (not overwhelmingly so) and time flies.
RachxTheLight
June 22nd, 2015 1:39am
Something relaxing like reading or sitting outside helps when emotions get overwhelming sometimes. Anything that lowers your heart rate and not make it higher will help.
chanelsdaisy
do some sport you like. Talk to someone. Do some yoga. Take a bath, listen to relaxed music. maybe watch your favorite tv show or a movie or read a book
Anonymous
I find that when strong emotions take over , for me, reading helps a lot. For some time I feel like I am away from all the problems and when I close the book it's like I gain a new perspective about everything:)
HanaS44
I usually try to unwind when i get home from a particularly stressful day. I put on music that calms me down and i either read or take a bath!
AstralShadow
February 22nd, 2016 6:14am
Breathe in. Out. In Out. In Out. for as long as u can. Close your eyes think what ur thinking and remove them one by one away. Relax. Read a book or take a walk in a peaceful enviroment (parks, beaches, etc)
VioletKitten82
Coloring or doodling is very relaxing, and it's easy to get lost in whatever you are working on for a little bit. Something as simple as stepping out for a long walk or a bike ride can help calm you and release some physical energy, as well.
RobVL
Hahaha, I have honestly had some extreme emotional reactions before in my life and only recently started learning how to properly handle them. So the easiest is literally to breath. I know a lot of people have said, 'Breath and count to 10.', and for most of us that is a cliche, until you understand what it is about. Breathing exercises allow you to focus on yourself, and draw all the way inward to your center of being. Being/focusing on your core at that point allows you to see and experience those emotions in another way. Primarily the focus on center should allow you to see the emotion, accept it is their and move it aside. Almost like 'water off a ducks back...'. Easier said than done though, but with practice you sharpen the skill.
adoredIcicle46
What i do is simply go on here and help people (lol) because it makes me feel like i'm worth being alive because i'm helping people. I also meditate and drink tea a lot.
Anonymous
I've learnt of many different skills to use I use a lot of skills from dialectical behavioral therapy. Because those seem to Target different emotions and help you calm down and even understand what's going on in the moment.
FreeSmiles77
If pain is overwhelming sometimes the only way to feel better is to cry, most people in society deem this as a weak response but we all cry for a reason and letting it all out can actually sometimes help balance us out from within. Some time away, Work, School, Family can really stress us out and even trigger depression and anxiety, A little peace wouldn't hurt, an hour in a quiet room meditating, reading your favorite novels or just putting on your earphones and letting yourself relax. Feeling angry? . . . grab some boxing/mma gloves hit the gym and punch that punching bag like there's no tomorrow or invest and buy your own.
Anonymous
When strong emotions take over, some activities to help you return back to a regular state of mind is by going for a walk, listening to musics, taking deep breathes, drawing and being with friends.
Gracey
If i am feeling particularly anxious or depressed i like to do 'adult colouring' it helps to ground me as well as taking my mind off difficult feelings and emotions
miareece
I enjoy practicing mindfulness at least once a day. Pause. Take a breath and observe your emotions/thoughts from a detached state if possible. Realize that your emotions are a response to something. You are not your emotions. Feel the air brushing against your skin. Mentally scan your body for any discomfort. Relax.
awareflower
When I experience strong emotions, there are a few different things that help me. I take a minute to recognize what I'm feeling and to accept that as what is happening right then. I remember that feelings come and go. That helps to be less overwhelmed. Then, I dig a little deeper to attempt to understand the emotions. The best way for me to vent my feelings is to write about them. It's ok if I can't resolve or completely address whatever is going on but I can feel that have made progress. Finally I do some self nurturing. When I feel strong emotions I can let off steam by doing something physical and meditating helps too.