Why do I feel better than everyone else?

Mexico

Paola Giordani, Psychoanalyst

Licensed Psychoanalyst

I have helped and am helping people cope with loss, divorce, anguish and parenting. Depression is also a major issue that comes up.

Salilkarkhanis
I feel that how we feel in situations is left on external parameters by most of us while it’s completely a function of our internal being and definitions. It took me a while that rationalising our expectations can the world the most beautiful place for us. I am on the my journey and would helping others in doing so is now my Ikigai. I am not aspirant of being better than others at all since it can destabilise my sense of being blissful. In fact if I assume being better than others in anyway then there is a thick chance of missing out on learning something that can further enlighten me.
Anonymous
to feel better than everyone isn't easy or something you can think about today and achieve tomorrow, but you need to take it easy and take your time achieving your goal which is feeling better than every one I think It'll happen if you think and control your emotions better than everyone else, because when you do these you'll know exactly what to do and when to do it, you won't make a lot of mistakes and if you did make any you'll know how to learn from it so you won't do it again, it worked with me.
nooriedoorie
It is possible that you are biased living in your own mind, we don't have the same opportunity to 'inhabit' other people as we do ourselves, so you may be comparing yourself invalidly. Perhaps if you got to know someone on a deeper level you would not feel as though you were better than them. Also, it is difficult to really know everyone else, the world is a big place, the current world population is 7.8 billion! Maybe meeting people you haven't before could expand your views or your perception of what "better" is. It can be unhealthy to compare people, since we are all different, we each shine in different ways :)
MrsBB47
It sounds like you set high standards for yourself and expect the same from those around you. If they are not living up to the expectations you expect it may feel as if you are better than them because you are living up to those expectations. It is great to keep in mind that those around you may not have the same advantages that you have had. Others also may not hold themselves to the same standards you hold them. Putting yourself in their shoes is a great way to gain a better understanding of how they work.
Anonymous
That is a bit of a complex question, really. It could be that you feel superior to the depiction of yourself in the mass media (girls, for example, are often seen as shallow or vindictive, making many girls feel better than other girls, because they have complex lives that aren't depicted on screens etc. The same applies to most minorities.) It might be that you have a really cool skill, or you are doing well academically, and you therefore feel above other people. It might be that you are going through a time in your life where you are confused about your place in this big world, and so you have landed on this temporarily. If you want to discuss this further with me, I am available at @Ciara2507
AMomentInTime1830
Self-confidence, awareness, and healthy coping skills maybe. It’s a good thing to feel content, hard to see others around us feeling less than that, but ultimately you should be your main focus. Don’t let the mood of people around you alter yours, embrace it and use it. Stay positive and strong, and hopefully in time, even if it only reaches one person, your mood and demeanor will help others to see the brighter side of life and help them to feel better. Be an inspiration to those around you, showing your strength and resilience. Let them into your life, and be a positive force in theirs.