Why do I feel so numb all the time?

220 Answers.
Why do I feel so numb all the time?
★ This question about Managing Emotions was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.
iListen

I believe it's a type of defense mechanism where the part of your brain that processes emotions just shuts down. When it's had too much to handle that the only way it can cope is to not feel anything. Thus the feeling of numbness. But eventually, when you're ready, you can let yourself feel again.

Br33zyS3tz

Feeling numb; this seems to occur when so many emotions are at war with one another, when managing emotions, managing experiences, time, and one's surroundings, seem to just collide so rapidly, leaving one almost breathless; a comatose state. Feeling numb, for me, resembles a time of wanting so many things, of wanting to be so active and involved with people and the world, and my own feelings, of wanting to express myself at the highest levels, yet feeling completely stuck in my present state. Feeling so numb all the time results form inactivity, both physical and emotional; from not being able to fulfill certain urges and desires, from not feeling important or wanted, from not feeling valued or appreciated. Feeling numb results from the incapacity to put will to use; one must combat numbness by acting upon urges and desires.

LovingEars
August 2nd, 2015 8:35pm

Sometimes we feel numb because we feel disconnected, from other people, from joy, from what we thought our life would be like before something else happened instead. Somewhere along the way we lost what we wanted, and go caught up in what came our way instead. We feel trapped, and are afraid to make the decisions that may get us out of that trap because even though feeling numb feels bad, it's sort of become our comfort zone too.

AboveAllisLove

I can't speak for you or your experiences, so I will tell you about mine. Usually, when a person undergoes physical pain, that person's body goes into shock. The nervous system completely shuts down because the pain is too much too handle. The same goes for emotional, mental or psychological pain. It's a reaction to terrible trauma that occurred previous to it. There's no need to worry, though. It's not permanent :) Just take a look at me, I used to be about as responsive as a brick wall and now, I'm a Listener on 7 Cups of Tea! I'll tell you a secret, how to un-numb. The cliche answer is- Love! I know, I know. Oh my goosh, love?? Yes, love. Love for yourself, love for AND from your family, friends etc. Trust me, it's like heat on an ice cube :) Feel free to message me if you feel like you're in need of a little love

Anonymous

Numb is the result of feeling helpless to stop bad emotions. It is a way the brain copes with feeling overwhelmed by it's inability to resolve a severe or persistently bad situation. Instead of feel more and more depressed, the brain turns off all emotions, good and bad, in an attempt to allow you to continue to function, albeit at a reduced capacity. If the situation resolves or becomes less intense, emotions will return. The key is to determine what is trapping you and what your options are. Then take action or ask for help.

Feeling Numb

Anonymous

Sometimes, we all feel numb from time to time. The reasons vary from person to person. However, everyone seems to come from the same point of view. Emptiness. The feeling of emptiness in which ever way we interoperate it, may we be from feeling unloved, unwanted or a sense of feeling worthless. These stem from feeling Empty which in turn makes us feel numb, it may also make you feel detached from life and all that's around you. There is no simple quick fix, it can be a process and depending on the reason for you feeling this way, it can take a matter of days, weeks, months and in some cases, years. To help you feel a little more, awake, delve into something that you would not usually do. Paint all your feelings in a work of art. Listen to the music that you know will make you feel. Remember though, you are still feeling, as, a feeling of numbness is a human feeling. The fact that you picked up on it shows that you are very in tune with your inner self and want to find a way to feel other feelings, like happiness, joy and perhaps, love. Take small steps to help you feel these emotions. Find the music, movies, books, hobbies, people, that make you feel good and be involved in them, I wish you the very best.

Anonymous

There are so many reasons for feeling that way. But for me, it's because a person is in so much pain, that they wish someone could just take away the pain, and when it happens, one becomes numb of everything. It happens when you don't want to give notice to something, that you don't want to feel anymore. You're too afraid to feel the emotions that made you weak, that made you depressed. You're the only one who can truly answer why you feel so numb all the time. We have our own experiences, and pain can make us truly numb after moving on.

VARabbit

Numbness; not feeling anything. You feel numb because you don't WANT to feel. The pain, the anger, the sadness, it was all too much. Thus, you choose not to feel. When you open up and let all of your emotions out, you'll learn to feel again. It's not permanent. You will be able to feel the joy, the happiness and the excitement through time. Stay strong.

graciebug1107

you may feel numb because you actually don't understand what you are feeling. You may just not be able to put a label on your emotions.

justtrustme

We feel numb because we have been overwhelmed with too much. It is a coping mechanism, a way to stop feeling so that we don't break. It is a defence against what hurts us most. If we are numb, we feel nothing. You are numb because you hurt. That is OK. You can only squeeze your hand so hard before eventually your body accumulates to that pressure, and it feels almost non-existent.

Anonymous

What you are experiencing might be depression. I don't really know why it happens. It's a really bad feeling, but everything will return. Maybe not soon, but you will feel all your emotions one day, and you won't ever feel anything close to numbness again. I'm saying this from experience.

Erynn

There are many reasons for feeling numb, the most common one is depression. But, emotions are very individual. It may help to journal or discuss this with someone. When did you first start feeling this way? What was going on at the time? How long have you been feeling like this? Were there any breaks for a while? What are some common thoughts that you have when you are feeling numb? How long do you feel numb before the emotion changes? How quickly does it return? It may help to track your emotions for a while - when you start feeing numb, make note of what you are thinking, what was just happening in your life, and any other emotions you may feel in addition to or before/after you feel numb. It sounds like you've been feeling numb for a long time- if you haven't already, it may be a good time to look into seeing a counselor and seeking some professional help.

MChloe

Feeling numb is frustrating and I know because I've felt that way. But I can tell you that it is not a permanent feeling. You won't feel like that your whole life, don't worry. It is hard to stop feeling numb, but there are so little things that you can do that can probably help you: do things you love. Go out, hang out with friends/family, take care of yourself, etc. You probably feel like this because you felt so much pain that now your brain just shut down and you don't want to feel anymore. You feel devastated, like there's nothing to look forward to. And i'm sorry about that. I hope you can overcome this problem, good luck with everything!

Anonymous

I feel the feeling of numbness is a symptom in response to some emotional stressor. I think the best way to go about addressing it is to strengthen the body and focus our physical sense to balance these emotions or lack of.

Starree

sometimes this is a way to mentally proctect yourself from stress or other negative emotions. When it becomes a reoccuring feeling it is mot likely that it still takes a toll on you and you have yet come to acceptance of the negative that has been numbing you.

calmWaves10

Becoming physically numb can be incredibly frightening, but becoming emotionally numb can also be very serious. Emotional numbness is essentially feeling emotionless. It's related a great deal to depression and extreme stress, and it occurs most often in those with severe anxiety.

brightForest58
August 2nd, 2015 11:40pm

I tend to feel numb when my life is dull. I get into a rut where my life is the same day in and day out. No excitement to get my blood pumping. I talk to the same people everyday about the same things. Nothing new. When I start to feel numb I know it's time for change. Sometimes it's something simple. A new haircut. A new outfit. Sometimes I need to make big changes. A new place to live or a new job. Change is good. It reminds us to always evolve as a person. If those things don't help then I look beyond the daily details. Look for a new hobby. Go skydiving! Time to start thinking and acting outside of the box!

thisismejessica
December 22nd, 2014 6:01am

Numbness usually caused by too much emotions at one time (until you cannot feel anymore / numb). You can try sorting your feelings one by one and learn to recognize what you're feeling at the moment. It's like a shopping bag with a lot of things inside. One way to resolve it is to take out some stuff inside and sort one by one on the table.

hopefulPower94

Sometimes when people have been through trauma or have experienced intense emotions, the mind protecting its sanity will suppress the emotions leaving the person feeling numb.

joyousJoy97

for me its not that i actually feel numb but the fact that i wont allow myself to feel anything. I dont want people to know im sad so i find it easier to just block it out.

Ripley85

One reason for feeling emotionally "numb" can be your brain or subconscious's way of protecting you from getting hurt. If you have a history of trauma or being disappointed or hurt by others, this can cause you to avoid emotion altogether, whether it's positive or negative feelings. Feeling emotionally numb can also be a direct symptom of a traumatic experience. Our emotions can shut down entirely if the trauma was severe. Again, this is an uncontrolled response that serves to "protect." However, if you don't allow yourself to experience any emotion, you are losing the good along with the bad. This is something can can definitely get better and be treated with therapy.

goodlife90

You should learn self-motivation, understand what you have to do to achieve a possibility, your possibility.

gentleIceCream20

If we have too much of void in our lives,it will make us numb! The reason is we were put on this earth,with 24 hours of time everyday to use it fruitfully! If we ve too much unused time,or using the time to do things which are meaningless to us-numbess is bound to strike;and hard! So get busy,do what you love, keep away time for the people who love, don't obsess over one thing, experience new things every single day!savour the emotions and savour life!

Anonymous

Sometimes all the things life throws at you to handle end up sort of muting some feelings and enhancing others. often if one is in a deep state of sadness, despair, etc. it's almost as if one gets familiar with that feeling and takes it as if they don't feel anymore, when often it's just because one or two feelings are felt so intensely, the others seem in the background. Other times it can be cases of the body's way to try to protect itself from additional pain (trying not to let anyone in or any feelings in, in case it leads to disappointment or getting hurt)

musicismyescape98

Sometimes it can be due to depression, depression has a way of making people feel numb. I'm an example.

Swahzycorn

Because you haven't thought about life in an actual sense. We are all here for our own personal agenda. Don't take this in a sense of religion. I am not forcing that on anyone, but you have to believe in you. Smile and understand that you were on of millions of sperm cells and you made it out. You survived childbirth. You survived adolescence, and now you feel burnt out from living. You have to feel something. You aren't truly numb you are just pensive. You need to stop thinking about what is wrong and realize these things. The fact that humans exist was a very slim chance.At one point you could do half of thing things animals do. Then you grew and understood. You are the smartest creature. Able to be the best in all places earth, water, and air. You are one in a million, and you haven't even realized it.

gracefullhand

i am the same way......but its only because i dont know what i want to do with my life.....i started doing new things i usually dont do and i started writing all the things i need to improve now im back on the write track.....just try to push yourself away from what makes you sad or numb. right when you feel it so exercise or do some to distract yourself... you feel that what your doing is pointless probable or don't see a point to doing anything my advice is if you don't get any enjoyment out of doing the things you used to love then try doing something with a friend or family member that they love at least then you have a reason to do something that's not pointless

AnnCB83

I used to be really scared when I would start to feel emotionally numb. I'd feel like crying, but wouldn't be able to, or I would feel like something should be funny, but I didn't feel any joy or humor. Now I've realized that when I am feeling emotionally detached, there is probably a thought pattern or a feeling that has gotten too strong and my mind if coping by shutting down my other emotions. With this insight, I've been able to take those moments and really try to get to the bottom of why I'm detaching. I find that if I start to feel that way "all the time," something must be going on that I don't understand or don't have the internal resources to deal with. That's when I know it's time to reach out to my support system: family, friends, and therapist.

kittykat

Emotional and physical numbness is a symptom of several mental and physical disorders. Depression is most commonly known for causing sadness, but more than "making people sad" it causes a bone deep numbness to emotion and tactile sensation that makes it difficult to experience the world accurately. Clinical depression is caused by an imbalance of serotonin and dopamine in the brain. Emotional numbness can also occur in bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and many other mental and personality disorders. If you're struggling with emotional numbness, the best course of action is to seek the counsel of a mental health professional. If you aren't able to do this because of finances, time, resources, or any other reason though, a listener on 7 Cups can offer emotional support. Physical numbness should be discussed with a physician as soon as possible as this can be a sign of serious conditions.

MusicalVision

The answer is in you hun. You're expert on you, so inside you maybe there is something that's making you feel like that. What about if you look for it?

love7696

Feeling numb when u feel like messed up...life seems narrow and dark but what you all have to do is ignore darkness...look for almighty in small things...be grateful to what u r left with..and miracles will happen

Ingrid9

If you're feeling "numb", it could be a sign of depression. If this has persisted for a while now, I would suggest going to see a doctor to find out what's going on.

wcb2015

I believe the reason that you feel that way is because in your mind you are telling yourself you feel that way. Its like if I tell my self over and over and over that I am ugly, I will start to believe it, but If I tell my self that I am cute, repetitively and change my mind set I will start to believe I am cute. Its all about the mindset and mentality you have

bellabagels

You feel numb because you simply cannot feel anything else. It's all crashing down on you, and suddenly you can't breathe, so you want to be able to choose that. You shut down so you don't have to feel, so you don't have expectations or emotional problems. Other times it isn't a choice; It just happens, because you're scared and alone and that hurts. Your mind says you don't want to feel, so you begin not to.

Anonymous

It may because you do not know what to feel. You may be confused with your emotions that you don't have any at all.

Anonymous

For me, it would be because of the pain I've been through. The loneliness, the grief, the abuse, all of that burdens my heart and eventually, you feel numb from life. Like your heart has turned to stone and you're even too tired to feel anymore.

Amelia

Sometimes we feel numb because it is our body or mind's way of protecting us. If we are in danger, our mind may "check out" so to speak...become foggy...make so that we don't feel every little thing around us. Helps us not remember small details as well. Unfortunately, sometimes our mind plays tricks on us and remembers feeling like we are in danger even if we are not. This may lead to us feeling numb even when it is not going to protect/help us.

PeaNuTBuTTer633

Sometimes when we are going through something difficult and painful we don't want do feel the pain anymore. We may close suppress our feelings and emotions and ignore them. Sometimes we forget that we feel a certain way for a reason. Learning to recognize my emotions, understand why I'm feeling a certain way, and remembering it's okay to feel that way has personally helped me. Then I try to think of a way to try to overcome what I'm feeling and one of those ways for me was to come on here and talk to someone before when I had nobody else to go to. Sometimes whatever you think of may take time but that's alright. But that is my personal experience with numbness. It did take awhile to learn how to do those things though and help from a professional psychologist to get better at it.

Anonymous

Well, I feel numb when I am not very confident and also if you lack selfconfidence, that may be the main problem. Relax. Don't think what people will think of you.

Korlix44

Whenever i feel numb its because there's something I'm trying to avoid feeling. Often it leads to depression due to the fact that no pain also means no pleasure. we have to accept the negative aspects of life in order to grow out of them.

dreamxangelxwings

I tend to liken the feeling of numbness to the colour white. It's blank and bland and nothingness. But it's not. It's actually every colour together. So, numbness is actually the immense feeling of everythingness. But it's just too much to feel, so you feel nothing.

Anonymous

You can often feel numb due to experiences and stress. Feeling numb can effect different people differently and the best thing to do is try and relax.

Anonymous

I used to feel numb when I was depressed when i got help and talked and sorted through some issues I stopped feeling numb it took a while could this possabile whats going on for you ,

Anonymous

cause thats what depression does to you and it sucks big time im sorry you feel that way.............................................

MotherWillow93

It is hard to figure out"why" but to feel happy instead of numb, go do things you find thrilling or enjoyable! Spend time with friends and family, work on hobbies...etc.

Anonymous

Perhaps, like me, you were afraid to feel. It's tempting to want to feel numb when you're suffering every day. However, it's not worth forfeiting your joy-- happiness is a whole other spectrum of life that, if numb, one cannot experience.

brightLove10

A lot of things can lead to feeling emotionally numb Depression sometimes become so severe that you feel a complete absence of emotion in regards to everything. Frequently for myself, when I become over tired and over stressed for a long period of time I become numb because it is to exhausting to feel any emotion at that time. Something that helps me, is to sit down with my therapist or a friend and reflect on the day and really figure out how I feel about things that happened. It's kind of like forcing myself to feel in order to creak the cycle.

bornlistener

It could be depression. A large part of it isn't feeling 'down'; you can feel detached too. If you feel this way persistently, have a chat a chat with your GP. They will be able to determine if you are experiencing a mental illness, of just tiredness or boredom, as these can be causes of 'numbness' too.

oliviaisheretohelpyou

Sometimes, we feel upset or distracted by some things we don't expect. Reconnecting with things and people you love help a lot.

RollingTide

The numbness comes from an overwhelming amount of emotion in a period of time which one's mental ability to control the influx of exaggerated feelings has reached an overflowing capacity. Usually brought on by feelings of hurt, sadness, or anger, the numbness is the body and mind's physical manifestation of a shutdown mechanism which allows one to deal with a stressful situation or environment. Example: Death. We cry our eyes out at the mention of a name, until we just can't cry anymore. It's not that we don't care, it's that the one emotion has been ongoing for so long, it shuts down, and "takes a break". Don't worry, most of us "reboot" with most emotions. Unless your stress is ongoing, and then you welcome the numbness to allow you to get thru each day, one day at a time.

OnlineLion

There are many physical reasons why we feel numb that range from lack of water to drug abuse and emotionally it can be as complicated. Feeling numb is usually felt through a disconnection from the world around us. This can happen very quickly and suddenly like after a traumatic experience or it can seep into our lives over time. When this happens... It can be very difficult to get back in touch with our environment and the people around us. The first step to overcoming this... Is realising that you are disconnected. If you have a desire to reconnect and start feeling again... then focus on something that inspires you or makes you happy. Focus on something that makes you feel something.

Innoncentflower

Your feeling depressed.a lot of depressors feel that way.maybe you should talk to a professional counselor.

ListeningOak

Dysphoria or the lack of ability to feel anything is a common side effect of depression. It's an awful feeling of emptiness and numbness that is usually tied to depression.

Jenniferroseh98

This depends on your personal experiences. Have you always felt this way? Did an event trigger this? It could be because you are experiencing something you don't want to feel so you've shut yourself down

Drimezan

Feeling numb can be due different factors. It can be due to a health issue or it can be due to a cause of a psychological issue that you are currently struggling on. Consider which is which and consult professional help if unsure.

Grady

Sometimes, you don't really feel numb, but are so overwhelmed that you can't process what's going on. Try writing or talking thru whatever comes to mind, ignoring the nagging feeling of "being numb." You'll get some feeling back - at least that's what I do when I start going numb.

competentHeart16

You feel numb because you take too much stress. As you may have gone through some kind of trauma or pain or shock in your life.

Peacefulmeditation

Feeling numb is a symptom of stress over long periods of time. Sounds like, you need to find a way to bring down your stress.

Anonymous

Numbness can be physical or it can be mental (read: "psychological"). If you feeling physically numb (like not feeling heat when you touch a hot bowl of soup), it means that your sensory receptors are not functioning properly. You need to consult a doctor immediately as it maybe a sign of some form of allergy or something more serious like nerve damage. If you are feeling mentally numb (not being able to feel vivid emotions), you are probably under stress. In this case, you need to take an extended vacation or perform a creative hobby that turns the wheels of your creative mind. Or, do what I do, eat fruits. :)

7CupsOfEspresso

Its like a mental survival mode. When your feelings go numb, you might not be happy with things in your life. If you are happy with your life and you go numb, thats one way of your brain telling you that it may be tired of something. Whether its helping other people, or trying to keep up in school, or with friends or family, your mind may be exhausted.

Recent Answers
msswanepoel

For me, it was easier to not feel. It's uncomfortable to have to sit with my feelings and emotions most of the time. I was minuscule when it came to facing my feelings and processing about it, whether it was to someone else or myself. I suffer from PTSD, so for my experience, some things have traumatized me so badly that I became numb to survive. I also started using drugs a lot to cover myself from the world, and as a result of that, I also became numb. It was hard for me to acknowledge my feelings and sometimes it still is a challenge. And showing vulnerability and emotions seemed dumb to me before. Being numb was a defense mechanism for me. It's so much easier to convince myself that I don't feel anything than to admit to myself that I'm feeling a certain type of way that I don't like.

YellowDaydream

Sounds like this is a managing emotions issue. It might be because you learnt to cope in that way. This is your mind's automatic response when you feel overwhelmed and there is too much to process. So you feel detached and numb.

Kyle1989

This is usually a feeling that naturally occurs over time when not having experienced such things as compassion or love. Life just has a way of becoming mundane on a deeper level. When this does happen, it is obviously an indicator that you are lacking, and it's time that you start seeking those things. How to receive love and compassion, well, that's really up to you, follow your heart. Remember, character trumps superficial things such as charming personalities and looks, so don't get caught up in that nonsense. Otherwise, you will likely get stuck in the same cycle of feeling numb.

Anonymous

Maybe you have blocked out your feelings just know that I am here for you you can tell me why you are upset?

AlwaysEssic

I have felt thus way many times. Feeling numb, a feeling you get when your lonely and unapricated. If you are feeling numb usually, it means you new to be around better people. Ind friends that make you laugh and smile. Don't go near people whom will bring you down.find a hobby that keeps you occupied numbness is often a sign of boredom. Do some activities that makes you happy

Anonymous

I too feel the same....like am not excited by things nor i feel down..i just feel numb!my friend said maybe, "you are interpreting it wrong,your emotional quotient is increased"!:)

Nana2401

Because you are never really letting it all out. Scream and try to release this numbness!! Or bunch something soft, try to think about things that make you forget about your numbness

Anonymous

feeling numb can be overcome by keeping oneself physically active by working out physical exercise and meditation and proper rest

Helpingheart38

If you feel numb all the time ...you say to yourself again n again that you don't want feel so...n with that you should diverte your mind in totaly different atmosphere....

It is good if you can talk to someone about this numbness that you have. Normally it will be triggered by some sort of disappointment or change in your life that was too much. Try getting to know the root cause before you can tackle it.

relatable21

Because you convince yourself that it's better to feel nothing do you don't risk the chance of feeling pain

Scottishsam

I find when am overwhelmed or feeling to many things at once my body automatically goes into shut down mode and I don't feel much of anything which can be dangerous if you don't feel anything you can end up in a dangerous situation and not realise it

kawaii

Because our brain need to reset from time to time, also it can be conected with something serious, but if it is not the best thing is to relax or talk with people that you like :D

7Smile7
January 3rd, 2016 10:57am

People usually feel numb when nothing makes them happy, when it seems that nothing makes sense, when you need love and attention but you can't really get that warmth, understanding and support... Or you can feel numb when you want something badly but can't get it.

CoreyLush4321
January 3rd, 2016 7:51am

I believe it's a type of defense mechanism where the part of your brain that processes emotions just shuts down. When it's had too much to handle that the only way it can cope is to not feel anything. Thus the feeling of numbness. But eventually, when you're ready, you can let yourself feel again

Chloesage

well, it depends.. im on medication for bi polar/ anxiety and the chemicals in that stuff tend to do that. but if you arent on meds id say its because we end to think our emotions are bad and we tend. numb ourselves. we get into a habit without knowing.

SilentSerenityy

Numbing is a way of blocking out pain or potential pain. It can be a sign of severe anxiety/depression. It can alleviate on its own but it's best to get the right help.

Harpplayer
December 23rd, 2015 5:25am

You might have depression. Contact a therapist or talk to a family member or friend about it. Or us.

iouty
December 23rd, 2015 2:07am

You could feel numb all the time if you are bipolar and are at baseline. You could also feel numb, if you have disassociated yourself.

Anonymous

Numbness can occur in depression (Anhedonia), Schizophrenia (During negative phases), PTSD and a variety of other conditions dependant on a number of factors. Numbness can also be caused by over use of certain perscribed and over the counter medications, illegal drugs or a combination of both.

Anonymous

Over time, you've allowed yourself to avoid the problem because it's easier to block out the pain than to feel hurt and defeated.

RedRagna90

Numb in what sense? Where do you feel numb at? Feeling wise? Or physical wise? If it's physical wise, you may want to consult a doctor

yourangel77

I am trying to make my self happy by doing what I like don't care what people think about me I try to enjoy my life

StormyAngles18

That's your minds way of trying to block yourself mentally from feeling mental pain. But it also blocks out other feelings as well. This happens when bad events take place where you just are not able to handle it.

Anonymous

it is possible that you feel disconnected from reality and unreal due to traumatic experiences or even anxiety and fear. Being numb takes all kinds of feelings away and it is likely we can feel that as a response from our body signaling to us we are feeling overwhelmed.

daftjake96

because I always have to reach out to my friends to spend time with them. Never the other way around

UJF81092

Both physical and emotional numbness can be frightening, and there are a variety of health conditions that can cause those experiences. They may also be caused by nothing more than anxiety.It's difficult to imagine that anxiety is the cause, but anxiety can have a profound effect on your body and mind. (http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/symptoms/numb-feeling)

openedmind81

Objectively look back and identify the moment that reason or situation that caused the change of behavior.

amazingRainfall28

Sometimes the mind can go into a state of shock, into survival mode numbing your emotions to get by.

shiningautumn

It's maybe because you have alot of stress in the past few days or weeks. You just have to relax abit.