Why do I feel so numb all the time?

Why do I feel so numb all the time?
★ This question about Managing Emotions was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Sara Radford, MA Clinical Counseling

Within the context of a supportive, collaborative relationship I help clients to explore themselves in a effort to create healing and lasting positive change.

HereToListen2You
Maybe there is something in life that you are very upset or unsure about and you need advise on how to deal with it and not hide away?
breathingcrystal
Because you haven't seen or experienced the best parts of life. Once you live those parts, you will feel like you're on top of a tree.
TehRingmaster
This could be a sign of depression. Sometimes instead of just being sad it's common for people who are depressed to end up feeling numb or just not finding enjoyment in anything anymore.
Chevy81
It usually happen when I'm anxoius about something. It's bothering me and I really need to relax in order to make the numbness go away.
reveries
it seems that you are having a difficulty dealing with your emotions. everyone experiences feelings differently, and those who don't feel them as deeply as others often feel this way.
Anonymous
How long do you feel numb before the emotion changes? How quickly does it return? It may help to track your emotions for a while - when you start feeing numb, make note of what you are thinking, what was just happening in your life, and any other emotions you may feel in addition to or before/after you feel numb. It sounds like you've been feeling numb for a long time- if you haven't already, it may be a good time to look into seeing a counselor and seeking some professional help.
BumbleBee997
Numbness. I'm unsure whether you can call it a feeling, or the lack thereof, but it was a struggle. Albeit one that is completely normal for those going through depression. When our world starts to implode, we often shut everything out, and that can include your own emotions. It's a survival strategy that we adopt just to get through each day, because otherwise it would be too painful to exist. We begin to wonder whether to numbness will go away, and in truth it will, but it just takes time. It all begins with a step to saying that emotions are okay to be felt and it's not a bad thing to feel sadness or anger. Emotions are a part of us, and the numbness will subside when we accept and move through them.
sheisknown
Sometimes we feel numb because we disconnect ourselves from our own bodies in order to be safe from bad things we experience in our lives.
peacefulPerspective38
i guess because of : 1- something you've been holding inside from long or short time (feelings about sth/regret/guilt ..) 2- daily routine, doing the same activities day after day can you numb or depressed . 3-inside-emptiness
Anonymous
the reason for you to feel numb might be the fact that you have ended overtinking about a certain thing and have ignored the importance of our present...
optimisticKoala39
Perhaps you have forgotten to be grateful. Remember to be grateful. Try meditation and mindfulness. Do something that makes you feel alive. Be spontaneous.
heartfulApricot25
you feel numb all the time because you are spending too much time holding on tight to the things that are causing you pain.. Learn to let go :)
Anggi
Maybe because you've been trying to bottle up everything inside that it later causes you to feel that way.
Anonymous
for me it was either because an event that happened or an event that's not happening; - a lot of event when happen makes us feel numb. - procrastination was the thing that made me feel numb mostly
SoulfullAshley
This isn't really a question I can give a specific answer to. I can really only guess. Maybe you feel so numb because you are not in touch with your feelings. Maybe you have not been able to distinguish your feelings from each other so you do not really know what you are feeling. Maybe you just had some major life experience and things just seem awful at the moment. All I can say is that things will get better, I promise you.
incredibleCaramel99
When you feel you've been hurt so much feeling numb or not wanting to feel anything feels safer than feeling real life. Once you open that door to feeling things, you open the door to being hurt.
Ieatkrogans
Find joy. Or something to feel angry or sad about. Look at beautiful things. Maybe you stopped seeing.
Anonymous
You may just be growing up, it may cause you to feel a bit numb, which is a good thing, don't worry.
Anonymous
probably you have some unresolved issues to talk about, or solve. maybe a bit of time self discovering could do you good
Anonymous
is it that you feel lack of all emotion? This feeling is normal once you reach a certain point in your life. Can you describe any other feelings that you have? Do you constantly feel this sensation of "numb"?
Anonymous
Numbness, can spring form emotional trauma. In order to define the specific structure in which causes your personal emotional vacancy, it is essential to evaluate your past experiences, as well as present to determine possible candidates for reoccurring distress. It is surrounding those events that your personal numbness can be comforted.
Iam80Here
It's obvious, as long as you don't face it. We do feel numb, most of us - that comes into being not only with the way we feel, but the circumstances play a part, just like the people do. There are things that leave you in a state of where you can't just know which emotion to go to - you are lost, or into somewhere where there's nothing that affects you, you're numb. Well, what you can do is face it, accept it, smile and move on. Besides, keeping yourself busy, listening to good-lively music, helping others out, playing a sport, exercising, learning a new language or even getting to read a new book - all of these might just make you have a second thought on numbness.
PondIsle
Are you bottling things up? I know when I would bottle everything up, I oftentimes felt numb, and would wind up turning to self harm in order to make myself feel-- well, something. Try to write how you feel (even if you feel nothing) it may help. And of course you always have us!
peachysunny
because you are lonely and or are in need of love. go find some one who loves you and or soemthing that makes you happy
Anonymous
You could feel numb because you don't have something to look forward to . Try and find something that you love to do or take up an old hobby. Fall in love with it again
skylei37
Feeling numb all the time is due to several factors. It may be because of the expectations of the people around you while not having the motivation to accomplish things. It may also be the result of having too much pain in your life that you became deprived of feelings.
Anonymous
It can be a kind of escape .. After that organic examination Introduce yourself to Psychological adviser
Anonymous
Maybe its because you are drinking alcohol so much? Or maybe you are too sad? You should go to a psychologist.
leavesofgrass1993
Numbness tends to be a natural human response to traumatic events, mental health conditions, or stress. It's a form of avoidance. I find the tips on the website helpful in order to pull you out of the numbness-funk. http://www.mhww.org/strategies.html
sadi1994
Have you faced any trauma recently? Did you experience a breakup? If something upsetting has occurred in your life recently, you may find yourself feeling quite numb. This is only natural; most of us have faced it at some point or another.