Why do I feel worse after crying?

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

RumiCarter
For some, crying can be a way of purging all of the negativity a sadness out. Once one has the physical embodiment in the tears, it's easy to feel that the emotion has drained from your eyes in the water. But sometimes crying doesn't help, and if you have been trying to hold your feelings inside, climactic crying can bring all of those negative emotions to the forefront of your thoughts.
Anonymous
It could be that when you're crying, you're letting yourself feel all those emotions like sadness, pain and anger, and it hits you all at once. But the important thing is that you let it all out responsibly and not keep those emotions bottled up until they make you do something you might regret.
officerli
It probably depends of who you are. You could possibly feel guilty for being sad, whether it be because you don't think you have a right to be sad in comparison to the struggles of others, or you're realizing how much pain you are/have been holding in. Most people that I've met feel better after crying as it releases stored emotions. I think there's some kind of esteem issue/inferiority complex going on if you feel worse after crying.
Anonymous
we still feel worse bad after crying if the reason or the cause which made us cry is still same and its affecting us.. crying helps us a lot in relieving our emotions and it makes us feel lighter.. but if the the person causing or the activity that is causing the pain is still with us then we want to keep crying as we dont find anything working for us... crying release all our emotions at a time and our head feel lighter so we should not keep thinking about our problems later and try to focus on the positive and effective works.
Anonymous
For many people, crying is a release for pent-up emotions, a catharsis. However, if you feel like your underlying issues are unresolved, crying may not have the same emotional effect. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you! Our issues are often complex and need time to fix.
Chynecheremsworld
Because crying never solves problems it makes you think so much about it instead of finding a solution
Dbluman2019
Depression is a horrible thing... sometimes... you have to be at your worst before you’re at your best...
StarieDiamond
Because you know you could do better. That's why you're not done crying yet. Cry more. Feel how crying makes your eyes feel heavy. Then after you wake up, watch your favorite movie. Cry more. Listen to a sad music. Cry more. Cry until you're tired. Then at the end of the day, look into the mirror. Ask yourself if you're okay. Smile. Then talk to someone who can understand you. It won't solve your problems, but it'll make the burden in your heart go away a bit. After that, repent on what you should do. You'll be surprised why you were fretting over such things. Humans are amazing, believe me. After break-downs, they'll get up like it's nothing. Even though they might need more time.
Anonymous
Simply put: crying is exhausting and physically can make us realize how tired we really were before we started crying in the first place, after we have finally let go. Alternatively, depending on someone's upbringing, may cause an additional pain of guilt. For instance, many people are told that crying is a sign of weakness and these fake rules that have been ingrained may surface in someone's subconscious after crying.
Supergirl94
Because sometimes it isn't the way we need to express how we feel
Anonymous
I usually feel worse after crying because it isn't a positive way of getting your feelings out. All it does is make you feel sadder for longer, so you usually just feel empty and sad when you're done.
Redtiger01
I feel worse after crying because crying makes me feel weak and I should not be weak. But in reality, no one can ever really be never weak and sometimes vulnerability is important so that we don't go crazy.
Kat140615xx
Because you let all the emotions out, your body feels drained therefore speak to one of us listeners we can helpx
organticDaisy71
It could dry out your throat and make your head hurt. Some experience guilt after crying in fear that they're weak when they really aren't.
Kenai
Maybe you feel guilty for crying? If so you definitely shouldn't. Crying is a normal, healthy thing for humans to do. In fact some studies show that crying releases hormones that can make you feel better. Allowing yourself to cry without judgement might actually make you feel better!
sunshineVision16
Sometimes we can feel like we are weak because we had to cry but the truth is you heal faster when you let your hurt come out and when you grief the right way and crying is part of grieving. It's ok to cry.
Anonymous
For me, I always feel terrible after crying. My eyes would be all puffy, my nose all sniffled up and I'll have a hard time trying to talk. But more than that, every time I cry I would have to show my most vulnerable site to everyone and it can be uncomfortable.
PupperDoggo
I have to say that I do not usually feel worse after crying. I usually feel exhausted emotionally and physically and I am ready to lay down and relax. I purge all of my high emotions through the crying and I am then able to think very clearly and rationally. If someone said that they do not feel better after crying I would probably ask them if they feel that the conflict that caused them to cry is resolved in any way. If not, I would ask them to reflect about the situation a little more.
Anonymous
Because crying drains your energy, making you feel even worse as you were already emotionally drained, but also physically exhausted.
Anonymous
December 3rd, 2016 3:44am
I also feel a lot worse after crying. And I have times where I cry a lot, and the reasons might be justified or not, but I always feel worse. People have told me I'm "lucky" because I "can" cry and they can't...for whatever reason...but that's because they would feel better after crying, which I don't. In any case - I guess it could be either of these reasons: 1) I see myself as weak if I cry (and I'm female), 2) I know I have absolutely no reason to cry, and most importantly 3) because I cannot control it.
CaringLotus
Probably because you feel shy/shame because you were showing your negative emotions to the outside world. Most people like to present themselves from their best side to others. This forces our real emotions into a kind of bodice. By crying we actually showed what was really going on. When crying with one understanding friend I usually have not these kind of shy / shame feelings and the benefit of being comforted.
Anonymous
Spending time crying and getting feelings out is very important. Perhaps after you cry, that immerses you deeper in your experience or maybe you need to spend more time in touch that way.
scrollworm
Because there is self-pity and guilt when you cried. To feel better, calm down and meditate. Listen to a soft music. Go to a quiet place. If you are ready, talk with someone.
Sofiasocial
Sometimes this is because you feel weak, or that you have let down yourself or others. But you must always remember that crying is ok, you are not weak, infact you are so so brave and no matter what things will pass and you will be happy again.
Yneigma
You tend to feel worse after crying do to the fact that an overwhelming sensation beclouds you. You mind and body is in between a state of being dazed and numbness, causing you to feel worse. However, after this act of crying/sobbing, you may need a moment to yourself to just breath and relax. Taking the moment to clear your mind after an emotional moment will make you feel a bit sad, but you'll have the time to restore your mind frame and proceed with healthy and sensible actions to the road of recovery.
SearchFor
Crying can be highly carthatic but can also get you stuck in a cycle of dwelling and acting upon negative emotions. Crying expresses emotional pain but does nothing to actively resolve it by itself. Crying is natural but we have to move on afterwards and that is the challenging thing.
Tinkerbell8
October 22nd, 2017 7:21am
What are you crying about? Is not reliving for you? Maybe the tension of crying could make you feel more vulnerable
Anonymous
Crying is often a way to express how we are currently feeling but it can also pull other emotions from beneath the surface that you may not have known you felt.
emilyb1999
you may feel worse after crying because it psychologically makes the person feel depressed, crying as a societies opinion is a sign of weakness however this is not the case.
InFairness
There is a stigma attached to crying, that if you do so you are weak, dependent, an emotional mess etc. This is not true. Crying is a natural way to relieve tension in the body, a way to express oneself, and personally if you can cry openly then in my eyes you are a strong individual.