Why do I feel worse after crying?

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

Anonymous
Many of us have learned to criticize ourselves very harshly for crying. So that when we are crying, we not only feel terrible, but we might not even be aware of the terrible thoughts that we are having. These kinds of thoughts can take a toll on us, too~! While we are not noticing, we are 'beating ourselves up', in our thoughts, and it's no wonder that we feel bad later! I sometimes just let water run out of my eyes, without thoughts to accompany them. I never feel worse after that, but only better. Tears are natural release mechanisms and are not meant to make us feel worse.
thoughtfulDana4
Sometimes putting yourself back together after falling apart can feel very difficult. You might feel feel physically ill--headache, tired, etc. You might feel emotional still or embarrassed. What ever it is, be gentle with yourself. Feelings are incredibly hard to control, Try to focus instead on positive thoughts, or even better positive actions. These things all have an influence on each other. If you feel terrible after crying do something like wash your face to start fresh. Take a walk if you can, physical movement helps move our minds along as well. Do something on your to do list. Most of all, treat yourself the way you would a dear friend who is going through a hard time.
Anonymous
Simply put: crying is exhausting and physically can make us realize how tired we really were before we started crying in the first place, after we have finally let go. Alternatively, depending on someone's upbringing, may cause an additional pain of guilt. For instance, many people are told that crying is a sign of weakness and these fake rules that have been ingrained may surface in someone's subconscious after crying.
Supergirl94
Because sometimes it isn't the way we need to express how we feel
Anonymous
I usually feel worse after crying because it isn't a positive way of getting your feelings out. All it does is make you feel sadder for longer, so you usually just feel empty and sad when you're done.
LittleLemon96
In general crying makes the heart pressure go down, physiologicaly so you are not supposed to feel worse, but maybe because you still need to cry more, the only way to know that you have calmed down and you are better is when you still think about the same bad thaing but you are able to not continue crying.
Redtiger01
I feel worse after crying because crying makes me feel weak and I should not be weak. But in reality, no one can ever really be never weak and sometimes vulnerability is important so that we don't go crazy.
Kat140615xx
Because you let all the emotions out, your body feels drained therefore speak to one of us listeners we can helpx
organticDaisy71
It could dry out your throat and make your head hurt. Some experience guilt after crying in fear that they're weak when they really aren't.
carefreeSunrise62
I feel that I should've done something to make myself better other that sitting and sulking. But sometimes I feel better after crying
Kenai
Maybe you feel guilty for crying? If so you definitely shouldn't. Crying is a normal, healthy thing for humans to do. In fact some studies show that crying releases hormones that can make you feel better. Allowing yourself to cry without judgement might actually make you feel better!
sunshineVision16
Sometimes we can feel like we are weak because we had to cry but the truth is you heal faster when you let your hurt come out and when you grief the right way and crying is part of grieving. It's ok to cry.
Anonymous
For me, I always feel terrible after crying. My eyes would be all puffy, my nose all sniffled up and I'll have a hard time trying to talk. But more than that, every time I cry I would have to show my most vulnerable site to everyone and it can be uncomfortable.
PupperDoggo
I have to say that I do not usually feel worse after crying. I usually feel exhausted emotionally and physically and I am ready to lay down and relax. I purge all of my high emotions through the crying and I am then able to think very clearly and rationally. If someone said that they do not feel better after crying I would probably ask them if they feel that the conflict that caused them to cry is resolved in any way. If not, I would ask them to reflect about the situation a little more.
Anonymous
Because crying drains your energy, making you feel even worse as you were already emotionally drained, but also physically exhausted.
Anonymous
December 3rd, 2016 3:44am
I also feel a lot worse after crying. And I have times where I cry a lot, and the reasons might be justified or not, but I always feel worse. People have told me I'm "lucky" because I "can" cry and they can't...for whatever reason...but that's because they would feel better after crying, which I don't. In any case - I guess it could be either of these reasons: 1) I see myself as weak if I cry (and I'm female), 2) I know I have absolutely no reason to cry, and most importantly 3) because I cannot control it.
Anonymous
In my experience, I used to "need a good cry" from time to time and that seemed to make me feel better. But in the past few years, crying makes me feel worse. Much worse. Something about my body has changed (we are changing all the time) and now a cry gives me migraine, or at least a bad headache. It makes me eyes red and my eyelids swollen. And it wipes out my energy. Because crying makes things worse for me, I am motivated to find healthy ways to deal with the original problem. I breathe, deeply and slowly. I change environments - go outdoors or go to a different room. I surf the internet to get my mind off the problem for a little while. I talk to someone. I hope this is helpful to you.
CaringLotus
Probably because you feel shy/shame because you were showing your negative emotions to the outside world. Most people like to present themselves from their best side to others. This forces our real emotions into a kind of bodice. By crying we actually showed what was really going on. When crying with one understanding friend I usually have not these kind of shy / shame feelings and the benefit of being comforted.
Anonymous
Spending time crying and getting feelings out is very important. Perhaps after you cry, that immerses you deeper in your experience or maybe you need to spend more time in touch that way.
scrollworm
Because there is self-pity and guilt when you cried. To feel better, calm down and meditate. Listen to a soft music. Go to a quiet place. If you are ready, talk with someone.
Sofiasocial
Sometimes this is because you feel weak, or that you have let down yourself or others. But you must always remember that crying is ok, you are not weak, infact you are so so brave and no matter what things will pass and you will be happy again.
Yneigma
You tend to feel worse after crying do to the fact that an overwhelming sensation beclouds you. You mind and body is in between a state of being dazed and numbness, causing you to feel worse. However, after this act of crying/sobbing, you may need a moment to yourself to just breath and relax. Taking the moment to clear your mind after an emotional moment will make you feel a bit sad, but you'll have the time to restore your mind frame and proceed with healthy and sensible actions to the road of recovery.
SearchFor
Crying can be highly carthatic but can also get you stuck in a cycle of dwelling and acting upon negative emotions. Crying expresses emotional pain but does nothing to actively resolve it by itself. Crying is natural but we have to move on afterwards and that is the challenging thing.
Tinkerbell8
October 22nd, 2017 7:21am
What are you crying about? Is not reliving for you? Maybe the tension of crying could make you feel more vulnerable
Anonymous
Crying is often a way to express how we are currently feeling but it can also pull other emotions from beneath the surface that you may not have known you felt.
emilyb1999
you may feel worse after crying because it psychologically makes the person feel depressed, crying as a societies opinion is a sign of weakness however this is not the case.
InFairness
There is a stigma attached to crying, that if you do so you are weak, dependent, an emotional mess etc. This is not true. Crying is a natural way to relieve tension in the body, a way to express oneself, and personally if you can cry openly then in my eyes you are a strong individual.
Northe
Crying isn't fun. It's messy and can be incredibly draining. Even so, the feeling after crying is significantly better than how someone would feel over a long period of time while keeping these feelings in. I know that sounds incredibly cheesy, but in my own in experience, this has always proved to be the case.
Anonymous
Maybe your not getting the comfort you need or someone telling you it's gonna be okay when you do. Just be positive everyone cries and it's normal to express your emotions.
Natalia90210
Sometimes we don't want to let others see our feelings, so whenever we cry (with or without people) we feel exposed, like if they would judge us. But we don't have to feel that way. I personally think crying is of the most beautiful acts of braveness. Because crying you can let your sadness/stress out, so there is nothing wrong about crying. It's actually good if you think about it.