Why do I feel worse after crying?

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

LC1225
Crying can have different impacts on different people. Some experience a sense of relief from it while others don't feel any sort of change. Then there are other people like yourself who actually feel worse off than they did before they cried. Even still, people can feel better after crying one time and worse another time and that it is completely normal. Crying and the impacts it has on someone is very situational. What I mean by that is that the results of it really depend on the situation in most cases. Sometimes, perhaps in your case you can resist the urge to cry but as soon as that first tear traces down your cheek you just feel overwhelmed with emotions that you don't even feel like you can control and this makes you feel worse because you can't bring yourself back to how you were before. Perhaps this isn't the case with you either. The point I am trying to make is that everyone experiences different feelings after crying and I hope you don't feel like there's something wrong with you if you feel worse afterwords because it is actually more common than you'd think and entirely okay to feel. :)
Anonymous
Because you know you could do better. That's why you're not done crying yet. Cry more. Feel how crying makes your eyes feel heavy. Then after you wake up, watch your favorite movie. Cry more. Listen to a sad music. Cry more. Cry until you're tired. Then at the end of the day, look into the mirror. Ask yourself if you're okay. Smile. Then talk to someone who can understand you. It won't solve your problems, but it'll make the burden in your heart go away a bit. After that, repent on what you should do. You'll be surprised why you were fretting over such things. Humans are amazing, believe me. After break-downs, they'll get up like it's nothing. Even though they might need more time.
gentleSun78
You feel worse after crying because crying uses a lot of energy. Crying and sadness (which are interconnected as crying is expression of sadness) are emotions which lower our energy and are meant for mourning, grief when experiencing loss. When we are sad, our level of energy drops and it makes us feel worse. When we are happy again, our level of energy rise again and we can feel better again. Sometimes crying is also frowned upon in society and is not socially acceptable. In this case we can feel bad due to crying also because of our shame and remorse - we are afraid of violating social rules.
Anonymous
Well, it could be that in our culture/society that we are often taught that crying is a sign of weakness. especially for men. Maybe after you cry, you might be feeling as if you have done something wrong or shameful? Is it possible that you might even feel like you will be punished for crying? I know when I was a child, my parents would often tell me I had nothing to cry about, which made me feel awful. But crying can be very healing both emotionally and physically. Your feelings are very real, and its Ok to not feel Okay.
Anonymous
it’s no secret that crying is a way to help release stress.. although depending on the individual, some may feel numb, angry or even more upset after crying. everyone has a different way of reacting, and those who may feel ‘worse’ after crying, might feel as if they’re weak, or not strong enough to keep their feelings hidden (in my opinion at least). many people choose to cry when no one is around, that way, they’re allowed to be vulnerable to themselves, whereas others can’t help but to cry in front of others. either way, it’s okay to cry.. having these mixed thoughts and feelings shows that we all are human.. and that we FEEL something. a ton of people are hurting.. and are trying their best to contain themselves for others, and especially for their own sake. however there are times when they’re drained of their efforts.. or that no one is really seeing how much of a battle they’re dealing with everyday. crying allows us to express our unsaid words.. we may feel because we want to do more than just ‘cry’, but at the same time.. there’s no clear answer we can jump to.. except to just.. cry.
Oskar310
For most people; it's the sense of giving up. The drowning feeling of being weak, or not strong enough. Almost as if crying is to show for mental will, how strong someone is according to their emotions. Crying is associated with emotional vulnerability and a lot of people are uncomfortable with either showing that part of themselves, or knowing that it's there. Though that's far from the truth- crying is a sure sign of strength. It proves that one can still feel something, that they're still alive. And that is the best feeling ever, regardless of who it is.
Anonymous
January 22nd, 2020 12:34pm
Crying does not always mean that we are free from what you feel. That's a process towards that goal, but you still need to talk about your issues. To talk and to understand that nothing is permanent. Everything will change and nothing will be the same as it was. After you talk and you express your feelings you will understand that you should let go everything that is making you feel bad. Nothing matters more that your mental health. And you should always appreciate yourself and to value yourself. Crying is good to release all the negative you have inside of you but that's just the first step. Don't feel bad.
CastIronCowboy
February 2nd, 2020 7:57am
Crying makes it real. It's easy to feel like you have a grip on things when you're "calm" or "collected". But the moment the first tear escapes you, it becomes reality. Before you know it there's a puddle of a very, very real issue. And maybe you feel worse because somehow it feels it's out of your control. Out of your grasp. But crying is the first and the most important part of healing. Once you begin crying, and then you've allowed yourself to accept the release of emotions you've likely been bottling up, you're more likely to have a different outlook on your problem to begin with.
AnchorTheStorm
I feel worse after crying because I’m worn out. My face is swollen, my eyes are red, nose is stuffed. Sometimes my stomach even hurts. I look at myself in the mirror and just feel even more broken and exhausted. I usually put a cold towel on my face, over my eyes especially for a few minutes just to get the redness out. The cold on my hot skin also really helps me to catch my breath a bit. I try to take deep breaths while I sit with a wet cloth on my face. But I hardly ever feel real relief from a “good cry”, I’m just exhausted and usually want a snack.
xPeacefulAngel
After crying you might feel relieved, but you also might feel numb, angry, anxious or sad. Everyone's response to certain situations is different and it's okay and valid to respond the way you do. A reason why you might feel worse is also because crying is mentally very exhausting. It could help to eat something, drink some water or take a nap. You could also prefer to get a distraction. Like watching your favorite show or listening to some music. Some people recharge by talking to or seeing their friends. It takes time to find out what helps the best for you.
SynSavory
Maybe your body is trying to tell you or hint to you that you need other coping mechanisms to deal with problems. For example, you can cry but add something else with it like journal about your negative thoughts as they happen, distracting yourself with TV shows/movies, listening to music, making a song, etc. I find siphoning out darkness in multiples makes problems easier to deal with. I personally get sick sometimes after I cry. It's better to let it out than to keep it in since you are using more muscles to keep it inside and cause greater harm down the road. Perhaps the tears are giving you skin irritation or sickness, then talk to your doctor and get some eye drops. Maybe if you wash your face you might feel better. Try to pair the crying with something positive (like taking a shower or journal), that way the next time you cry, you might not feel as worse as you did last time.
bellarina74
Whilst crying is a great outlet, it can be exhausting. There are wave, upon wave, upon wave of emotion happening and trying to get your emotions in sync proves troublesome. Crying brings the real issues out and to the surface so we can deal with the problems. Prioritising these problems is the next step and working out what is the most important to be dealt with. By prioritising the problems we can get a sense of relief as the heavier issues are dealt with and taken off our plates. This reduces our stress immensely and our sense of worry can subside.
comfortingRabbit47
It could mean that you have not yet resolved your immediate emotional distress concern. Usually, crying allows your body to release stress and lowers blood pressure. In this case, it could be that you are far too overwhelmed to the point that crying is just an emergency outlet. Do not worry; you are not alone. One recommendation is that after crying, you should seek a listening ear (for example, talk to one of the beautiful listeners in 7cups!). Because once you finished crying, you will be much more clear-headed to think about your problem more reasonably. And you will be on your way to recovery.
marieladlpm
Feeling worse after crying is completely normal, you just finished letting go all the weight you had inside yourself, and after crying it can make you feel exhausted, drained, or even worse, but after some time you will start to feel better! I see problems and myself like a bottle of water im the bottle of water or the glass of water, and every time I face a problem its like they just added water to my glass/bottle and when there's just to much water and I can't hold more water anymore, the water overflows the glass/bottle and I represent this by crying, and after crying, I feel drained and empty and it will take some time for the bottle to be the same and look good!
fortunecat888
Crying can really provoke you to a place in your emotions that you don't typically dwell in. A place that allows you to really dive into the root cause of your pain. Sometimes, the answer is not what we want to hear: it's a lot to process, and it's extremely personal. Often times, it may even make us feel too aware of our faults - the mistakes we've made, the guilt we hold, and beyond. But sometimes, it's where we need to start to be able to effectively rebuild ourselves. The first step to healing from anything bad experience is to acknowledge - and crying can bring us to a point to do just that.
Anonymous
Sometimes I feel worse after crying because all of the negative, sad, or mad feelings that I had harbored are now free. For me personally when it's usually a result of a load of feelings that I've had from some time that are finally being released. This is a scary time for me because I tend to run away from sad or negative feelings. When I cry it creates the reality of how I truly feel which can either make me more sad, scared, or disappointed. It's hard to see positivity in crying but many believe its better to get the feelings out then to let them stay in.
Aly95
I totally understand how one can feel worse after crying. I used to struggle with crying and expressing my emotions in general. I thought it was a sign of weakness. But I have learned that it is quite the opposite. Allowing yourself to cry is a sign of strength and growth. Instead of being upset or anxious after a good cry, try looking back on your fallen tears in a positive way. Think to yourself, "Wow, I am so happy I let all of that out". I know such a thing can be difficult, but be proud of your tears!! They are something to celebrate.
LadyJuh21
Well, I don't know why are you crying, but maybe you feel that cry it's like showing that you are weak... it can happen in an unconscious level. But it's nothing wrong with it! Actually crying can be a healthy way to show that you are sad or angry considering that you are not harming anyone including yourself, it's a valid scape to your emotions. The idea that crying is wrong or a lack of strength it's a completely mistake, the key it's not to hide our feelings but dealing with them in a proper way. Try to figure out what are your thoughts while you're crying be aware of them to be able to change it if it's necessary.
SoulfulShruti
Unfortunately, a lot of people still feel that crying is a sign of weakness. This is perhaps the reason why many of us feel even worse after crying. However, the truth is that it takes courage to face your emotions and let it out. Crying is cathartic in nature,it is a process of emotional unburdening and something that all of us must not shy away from doing when required. It is likely to take off a lot of weight from our chest. It is a sign of strength, of knowing yourself and valueing what you feel. You do not have to feel worse after crying.
AnxiouslyAlfie
Crying is a perfectly natural response to deal with negative emotions. In the past, I was guilty of viewing crying as a negative thing and tried to suppress how I felt. If I did still end up in tears, I would find myself in vicious cycles of crying because I was crying, if that makes sense. However, I now frame this in a very different way. Tears are a release mechanism to stop the emotional pressure building up beyond control. We shouldn’t be afraid or upset because we are crying. Instead, we should focus on dealing with whatever stimulus made us feel overwhelmed in the first place. That we can control and hopefully feel better in the future.