Why do I get so depressed and what can I do to cope?

jennifer fritz, LMSW, PhD

Day to day life can be stressful and overwhelming and my strength is assisting my clients in a supportive, empowering and practical manner.

elizabethdarling
You get depressed because your brain turns to something negative and it all goes down from there. We need to focus on something more positive and distracting. We need to learn to guide our minds away from these negative things!
Caringmagic60
You get so depressed because you feel helpless and lonely at times. You can try to get yourself busy
Apollosdaughter
You get depressed when you lose your will to do great things. You can think of the proud moments, surround yourself with everything that will make you proud if you are away from those depressive feelings
SaraMCT
There could be a number of reasons why you are getting so depressed. The first step I would too, would be to find out what it is. The second thing I would get some support with a therapist, school, work, friend, family or loved one etc. The next thing after those two listed above would be doing tips to helping you cope with it. Tips such as crying, journalling, exercise, sunshine, spending time with pets, family or friends, getting on a routine, eating healthy, sleeping right etc. etc. There are a list of things you can do to help yourself and figure out what it is. All you have to do is look for it. Good luck!
Sognatrice
Usually. when I get depressed I can not figure out why. I collect everythig, that is going wrong and let it bring me down. Then I trie to talk to somebody but usually it makes me feel even worse. Than I go outside and start Walking going back in life. Seeig natures Beauty. Sometimes I write my Feelings down. Or I Dance it all out. Taking deep breaths. Going to the cinma alone. Connect to People. Just to realise how gifted I am.
javalent
When I get so depressed, I think about the things that I can be grateful for.I also seek for company, either it's from my close friends or older people that I can trust (uncle,parents,cousins). I also cope with depression by reading motivational and encouraging articles (e.g Tiny Buddha. They have tons of very encouraging articles that makes you feel positive about yourself and your environment). Last but not least, I try to get enough rest, because lack of rest/sleep could be the things that worsen our depression.
Minh
Have you tried the 7 cups of tea self help guides? They will help you understand what causes your depression and how you can deal with it.
runawayGirl101
A person is depressed when he is having a hard time dealing with his problems. Or he might have personal issues and keep things to himself.
RalphBG
People get depressed because, they could be bottling up emotions, meaning keeping all your emotions and anger or sadness inside without even knowing it. A way to cope is find something that you love doing and do that to take your mind off things. If your depression is really bad you could talk to someone about it and maybe get anti depressant medication. :)
Erynn
Examining your thoughts and the situations that surrounds your depression can help you to find why you may be depressed. To cope with depression you may find self-soothing, distractions, mindfulness, schedules, therapy, medication, social activities, giving activities, journaling, and talking to others helpful.
thisismejessica
December 22nd, 2014 5:56am
Depression can be caused by genetic, chemical imbalance, hormones, bad thinking patterns, or poor coping style to stress. Try to do mindfulness. Examine your thoughts (what are some faulty thinking patterns you could find?). Learn healthier coping skills.
Arkelight
Depression has two conflicting explanations. One is that there is a chemical imbalance in the brain and the other suggests that it is your environment that causes you to feel depressed. Coping is finding the motivation to get the help that you need, a visit to the Doctor will often get you referred to a Psychologist/Psychiatrist for the appropriate treatment. Let your close friends and family know how you are feeling and give them insight into how depression has impacted you, support is vital.
SageBunny
January 2nd, 2015 2:52am
Depression could be situational, biological, or a combination of both. My recommendation is to try therapy, or if your doctor prescribes meds, take them as directed. You can also try local support groups so that you don't feel so alone -- lots of people are struggling right along with you, and will understand. Self-care is also a vital part of keeping healthy. Get enough sleep, try to eat healthfully, avoid harmful or dangerous things and situations when you're feeling unwell. Challenge yourself to try new things, but be gentle on yourself -- I'm sure you are your harshest critic!
connect2STR
Make your environment as a tool to set your mood. Go to your favorite place and hangout. It feels better.
Jinkxsy
When in distress you may feel low and depressed. To cope you can speak to a family member or a friend or seek help from a doctor or counsellor
Missy0
Exercise is a good way of coping with negative emotions, helps to clear your head. Always works for me :)
Herequeerandcheering
Maybe your going through something. Maybe you just feel depressed for no reason. This has happened to me before. The best thing you can do is distract yourself. Read a book, exercise, write. Writing helps get it all out honestly.
Anonymous
May 23rd, 2016 9:24am
I suppose you get depressed due to events and happenings in your life, I understand that it can be difficult and seemingly unbearable. In order to cope, wake up everyday with a positive mind set, and seek hope within you. You can do anything. As long as you believe.
peacefulShoulder84
Everyone is sad sometimes it's human. Depression is just long term and more difficult it can be caused by your external environment to your past down to your genetics! Some good coping skills are calling a friend, being in nature, taking a shower, art, music, sports, or tv.
Anonymous
There is always a source to where the depression comes from. Know where it is coming from and deal with it. To move forward.
HealingCloud51
When I was depressed, I felt like I was a ghost of a person-- an empty shell wandering around meaninglessly, without any real purpose or value. I found in my recovery that the people and the environment that surround you are incredibly important. Spend time with people who show you kindness in abundance, compassion and love, people who uplift your spirit. Love and kindness will nourish your soul, and make you understand that you are worthy and that life can be better indeed,