Why do I get so emotional over nothing?

Why do I get so emotional over nothing?

Shruti Naik, MS in Counselling and Psychotherapy

I'm passionate about providing a non-judgmental & supportive platform to my clients to help them understand & accept themselves & overcome any emotional issues troubling them.

finn77huugh
If you get emotional, it isn't over "nothing". If you're upset about something, it means something to you, and that's okay. It's normal to feel every emotion at least once every day. So next time you feel emotional about "nothing", just remember: it means something to you, therefore, it is "something".
Naraw
We usually tend to react fast and intense to incidents because of our stress hormones. We usually make a big deal out of something and later we understand we overreacted.
COD
Emotions are indicators that something is off. Getting emotional is an indication of something, whether one thinks is right or wrong. Could you say more about what "nothing" means?
Callum4659
You don't get emotional over nothing, there is always a reason and it's always a good reason. It could be something as simple as you have no milk but if it gets you emotional then its worth addressing.
Anonymous
It's very easy to get yourself worked up and normally it's not really over nothing, even if it's something small or something you think it's stupid it's not. So it's best for you to try to find out why your gitting emotional and try to talk to us about it, we can help
kerkyra
Because that's the way you are and there is NOTHING wrong with that. Everyone gets emotional at times and it is a part of life.
Anonymous
You are the only person who can tell you how you feel about anything, whether it be 'something' or 'nothing.' Something is different to each of us, as our experiences create different perceptions of the thing itself, so while to someone it may be nothing, to you it may be everything and it is completely understandable to feel emotions. We are human and many speculate that our emotions separate us from everything else. Study your emotions and try to harness them. Ask yourself, "What do I feel right now and why do I feel that way?" Support yourself - you are already beating yourself up in that question. Tell yourself "It's okay to feel like this." Take moments for yourself, even in the middle of a school day or work day, just to think through lingering emotions so they don't build up later.
merciwrath
I believe that you can never be emotional over nothing, there is always something rational going on when you feel like that, and it is never your fault
PinkButterfly30
Its what is built up, for many people it is common to get so emotional. Some people get emotional over boys,grades,everything and it is just that your very sensitive and tend to get hurt easily more than others which is fine but sometimes it hurt you mentally and emotionally.
Anonymous
It can be because of hormones- I remember when I cried because I dropped a jellybean on the floor! everyone has rough days, and mood goes up and down :)
Khalenyu
When I feel overly emotional about something that I would normally consider not important or petty, I take a few minutes to think about whether or not my response is appropriate and why I am feeling this way.
Anonymous
It couldn't be nothing there will always be something but you didn't express about it earlier but you distracted yourself until you end up not knowing what's really bothering you try to figure it out
Anonymous
I know you say it's over nothing, but it's probably over something even if you don't know what it is. Perhaps that picture, or painting, or song reminds you of something or someone
OlgaParis
Your emotions are your reactions to the world. If you are experiencing some emotions, then there is a reason for this. You might want to reflect on what happened just before you started experiencing this emotion, many things can be triggers and sometimes they are not obvious. All your emotions are important because they give you clues on how you can live your life better. So when you feel like you are getting emotional over nothing, then it is time to become a "detective" and look deeper inside yourself.
justheretohelpyou
There are many reasons for this and truly only you can know why, finding little distractions to let out these emotions in a creative way can help sometimes, like art or music. If you're worried about being out of control with your emotions then I'd suggest that you seek medical advice from a doctor or GP :D
backwardsDog
Sometimes our emotions or the ways we handle and react to "nothing" are really just manifestations of our surroundings. We often respond in an emotional manner when we have been dealing with unfortunate situations whether or not we realize it.
Hearken
A change in moods that is drastic can be caused by many different things, from hormones to stress or something else entirely. If you are stressed, try talking to someone! If the problem persists, however, it may be worth a visit to the doctor, especially if it is affecting your daily life.
Loveneverends
Sometimes you feel more occupied when you have something to get emotional about. When you have nothing to feel for you feel empty.
Anonymous
Because I overthink everything and stress myself out by thinking about all the possible ways things could go wrong instead of having faith that it will turn out for the best.
Anonymous
Maybe there are some hidden issues to solve in your mind like an old memory or someone affecting you badly.but It is normal that some people are more emotional than others
WNoelle10
High emotionality or sensitivity could be related to a number of things; it could be a temperament that you were born with, it could be hormones, or it could be due to pain that has been building up inside of you. If you are being overly emotional with only a certain person, this could be associated with violations of love or trust in the relationship, which keeps you tied to everything said or done, taking each thing personally and hurtfully.
Anonymous
You don't get emotional over nothing. There is an answer that you may not be thinking of. It could be love or grief.
Anonymous
You have deep empathy for things and may sometimes let your emotions take over. Don't be afraid of your emotions, they guide you through your life.
HummingWisdom179
Sometimes, it could be because of a deeper issue within you that has made you vulnerable or afflicted to becoming more emotional, or a past experience(s).
Anonymous
In my personal experience, I get emotional over nothing because of hormones. Those crazy things just run me rampant.
Godlovesus
something is troubling you. ask yourself. never avoid it. deal with it and then it will help you to heal.
evodang
Anxiety gets me emotional over things that don't seem to be much at all. I overthink a lot, and as a result, get a little "emotional over nothing." I think in these moments, when we take a step back and try to disengage from "panicking" over things, we are able to see what it is we are truly getting emotional over, and how best to handle the situation.
Anonymous
There could be a deeper problem which the things that seem like "nothing" are linked to. Thus, when they come up, they bring up deep emotions. Or, perhaps you're really stressed, and your emotions are maxed out. Then, when the tiniest thing happens, it's enough to tip you over because you were already so full.
MagicalKoala
I don't know but I guess it's just my personality. I'm a sensitive person and maybe that the reason I sometimes get emotional over nothing.
Anonymous
Usually, what we consider as nothing is much more than we think. Often, getting emotional over nothing is a sign that you are stressed or upset about other things happening in your life. It's all a matter of uncovering the true reason behind your emotions.