Why do I have a gut-wrenching feeling down my stomach after a friend told me something I disagree with, not physically, but emotionally?

Susana diaz, lpc

I believed that to be a successful therapist is to be able to empathize and connect with all clients. My work with clients is to help them identify resources to cope.

HopieRemi
It could be that what your friend told you triggered you or it could be something you really don't like to hear. But more than likely you were triggered if the feeling is a "gut-wrenching" one
Candid0211
Because may be and just may be a part of you so feels so strongly about it that it is difficult for you to carry out the relationship either without the letting person know how much it is affecting you or in extreme scenario ending it but may be because you do not have an option you would rather let it go.
JDust
It can be difficult to know that someone close to you has a view which differs from your own. Especially for highly agreeable individuals, minor conflicts of opinion can be particularly troubling. The feeling in your gut suggests that this revelation of a potential disagreement makes you nervous, perhaps of a potential confrontation, or alternatively it may be pain from learning that someone close to you disagrees with you on an important issue.
Anonymous
There is a psychological phenomenom called "cognitive dissonance" that comes into play when something like that happens. Since a friend, which is a person you like, has just said something you don't like or agree with, your mind finds it difficult to accept that both elements are linked together, and causes that feeling, hoping for a way to dissociate those elements (and sometimes succeeding).
DiamondIntuition
It's because you disagree with it! You might have a different opinion on something and your friend has another opinion. When two parties don't agree there might be some tension
HotChocolate18
The gut wrenching pain you're experiencing might be because of anxiety. I can not take back the words that your friend said but I can tell you this I am here for you we are here for you and the entire 7 Cups community is here for you and we are here to listen. If there is anything you want to talk about or if you need a shoulder to cry we are here.
Anonymous
Because I think my friend means something worst like he doesn't like me and that scares me. I feel fear!
PinkButterfly30
Because it hurt your feelings, you want your friend to be nice and agree with everything you say because its a feel good but when you argue or disagree on something it makes u feel bad, its totally normal though.
Anonymous
Because we sometimes expect friends to think like we do, because this might give us a feeling of support.
Redtiger01
I don't know about you, but it makes me feel like I am lying to my friend about myself because I realized that the friend doesn't really know who I am.
KKGunner
Because whatever the thing being disagreed on was is important to you, and your emotions reacted intensely to it.
Herw0nderland
It is because you trusted that friend enough to tell her what are the things you disagree. However, instead of supporting your thoughts, your friend has other ideas and opinions on that similar topic. You feel that your friend is unable to connect with you and might feel anxious too. It's normal, i get it it most of the time too.
1musicloverever
March 2nd, 2017 10:23pm
You're free to feel this way, you most likely like you said in the question, you disagree with what your friend told you. Best thing though, talk to them about it. It might help with what they told you.
Anonymous
You're most likely realizing that you are your own person and your friend may not be exactly who you thought they'd be. Either way, you know yourself best and you are under no obligation to agree with your friend if you don't think they are right :)
Anonymous
If someone says something that gives you a gut wrenching feeling in your stomach then that means you've heard something that either goes against your beliefs that you feel strongly about or that what you've heard affects you personally
MissLuthien
Emotions effect our whole bodies, they're connected through the enteric nervous system- so they tie in with each other more than we realise. Negative emotions, and confusing ones like nervous butterflies can effect hormones, and your stomach fluid release. Although those are physical elements, physical and emotional bits of us are linked really closely, and emotional twists of the tummy can be blamed on the fight or flight physiological responses of our predecessors. Something you disagree with can make you feel the need to get away from the unpleasantness, and although you don't want to run away from your friend, when they say something you oppose, it can make you disappointed and worry about what else they could say too.
Anonymous
I know exactly what you're talking about since I myself have experienced this a lot of times with my very close friends. After a lot of analysis, I think the reason we feel down emotionally is because in some way or the other we expect our friends to be like us. After all, that is how people become friends in the first place; over shared interests, shared opinions etc. So finding out that they also have different views about certain things apart from the ones that they share with us can be disappointing. I think the best way to get over it is to understand the fact that they in themselves are a different person; this is what makes them, them. If everyone thought or behaved in the same way then the world would be too boring. I also like to think that you only truly like someone when you can like them despite their flaws or difference of opinions
Maybe because thats your friend and you were hoping that your friend would understand and share the same opinion as u do,
Anonymous
That feeling is a head feeling to place. you may feel disappointed or stressed or let down. you feel that they have to agree with you.
lightandsea
This is not unusual! Our bodies react to our circumstances, even if they are the most intellectual discussions that are abstract - they can still cause a physical reaction. I always make a point to notice how I'm feeling in my body in reaction to something, and keeping that in mind can help me sort through complicated things.
specialUnicorns39
actually our body translates our mental stress into physical symptom and thats why we feel a pain its not dangerous but bothering
Christy24601
When a friend or other person tells you something you disagree with, it is not uncommon to experience a physical ( perhaps unpleasant) reaction to this. If you feel strongly about something, there is often a strong connection between this subject and your emotions, and these in turn can have a negative or positive effect on your physical well-being.
BeyondEmpathy
It sounds like something has been really difficult or painful to hear. Maybe this is because it reminds you of something in your life or maybe goes against a value or belief that you hold. However if this reaction is so strong, maybe you'd find it helpful to discuss it with someone at 7 Cups?
Anonymous
How do you feel when you have this gut-wrencing feeling? Some feelings associated with that may be anxiety, fear, frustration, &c, what do you think it is for you? Why do you think you feel that way when someone tells you something you disagree with? Do you express your disagreement? Sometimes when we do not / are afraid to express ourselves, those words can manifest as feelings inside of us. What small things do you think you could do to try to not feel this way when it happens? Feelings are another way the body tells us something unusual is at play and we should pay attention to it. Asking yourself questions just like this one are a great way to uncover more clues as to why you feel this way and how you can start to feel better!
pizzaasthetic13
It may hurt or upset you that a friend told you something you strongly disbelief in and even though everyone thinks differently, sometimes decisions people we love make can be heart wrenching.
amiableTree17
It's a reaction our body has when we might not feel good or right about something. She might have said something that upset you and it's totally normal to have a physical or emotional response to that.
magpieCentraal
Perhaps because that topic taps into an intuitive feeling you already have about something relating to your own behaviours or past experiences. That moment of connecting the mind and the emotion is the gut feeling. Understanding the connection is the moment that requires meditation.
Fraz
Probably it has to do with your wish to voice the difference of opinion. However, you suppress it for fear of being misunderstood and putting strain upon the relationship. Remember, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Tranquilshadows
Differences of opinions can often lead to emotional turmoil, especially where friends are concerned. We like to be similar to our friends, so if we find out something that's drastically different, it can change out perspective of them.
annberlinn
Sometimes, we have this feeling because we always seek to hear things we want to hear - and when we hear what we need to hear but don't want to, we often times get this feeling because we don't like what we're told. Although it's one of the worst feelings to have, it helps you come to terms with the things you're being told - say for example you had a bad break up and your friend tells you he/she wasn't good for you to begin with but it isn't what you wanna hear, you're going to feel this way - and it's okay to feel this.