Why do I have a gut-wrenching feeling down my stomach after a friend told me something I disagree with, not physically, but emotionally?

Susana diaz, lpc

I believed that to be a successful therapist is to be able to empathize and connect with all clients. My work with clients is to help them identify resources to cope.

BiancaInTheSky
I was thinking of a personal example, one time when a friend and I were discussing some event in our hometown. While we were talking, she said that she could understand why some people may have been against that event and what it expressed in terms of social and cultural views. I still remember that feeling in my stomach. My guess is that we choose friends also because we feel we share some values and beliefs. And sometimes, certain kinds of disagreement may reveal that we do not, in fact, share all the same values. In that moment, it felt almost like a betrayal to me, but the betrayal of a silent agreement ("We both put value on the same things") that we hadn't really discussed until that moment.
Drphillis
March 22nd, 2019 1:04am
Words are powerful because they carry so much weight and evoke strong emotions. You’ve had an emotional response to what your friend has said because you feel so strongly about the statement. So take a moment, and figure out what exactly they’ve said that caused that emotion within you, and from that you’ll have an understanding why you reacted how you did. It’s only natural to react in situations where someone has said something we strongly disagree with, and despite it sometimes feeling like a physical sensation, it’s just our own moral compass reminding us that whatever they have said has caused an emotional stir within ourselves, which helps guide us and helps us figure out how we feel about difference situations, and whether we agree or disagree.
zpeterson75
There is potential between the two friends to get into an argument and ruin what was a perfectly fine friendship. If there is a disagreement, that may turn into an argument between the two friends. In my experience, I have been in these situations before and sometimes people will bring things into the argument that do not belong there. For instance, they could start attacking the other person about things they did a long time ago in the past or things that are irrelevant to the original issue. I believe the gut-wrenching feeling is a response to a fight or flight case and adrenaline because of what was previously mentioned.
Anonymous
That’s normal, everyone has their own opinions and even though your friend might have told you something to help you out and you might not like it they mean no harm and just want what’s best for you. It could also be that in the position that you’re in it makes it seem that those persons words are impossible to accomplish and you’d rather not agree with them. And that guy-wrenching feeling is completely normal everyone gets especially when they’re nervous or they know somethings wrong but you don’t have to fear about that if it’s a friend you trust because usually they just want to help out to get you out of your troubles