Everywhere I go I'm assumed as a woman, that I'm going to have kids, no matter how much I insist I don't want kids. What do I say to these people who keep pushing it?

Brittany Kelley, MSW, LCSW

I am a psychodynamically trained clinical social worker. I find assisting women and families through difficult times an extremely rewarding and collaborative process.

Step one is explaining to them kindly but firmly that not all women have the same desires in life. Step two is to answer to their specific argumentation - for example, if they say it's natural to want children when you love someone and you just need to find the right one, you can point out that love is more than reproduction and that there are many happy couple that love each other and are happy with not having children. Step three: if they still don't get it, just give them a "yeah sure whatever" and ignore them. If you get tired of having to explain yourself over and over, just skip immediately to step three! You don't owe anyone an explanation.
Anonymous
Just sigh at them. Think wonderful and beautiful and true things about yourself and others and the future. They don't understand. They too grew up being told that was the only eventually option. We are truly in a neat age, where more and more, for several who-cares-really reasons, women are deciding to live childfree and it's awesome. There aren't many but there are some studies that have shown older childfree couples are at least as happy as other couples (if not more so). Even being a couple or living single is totally your choice. We ultimately can't control what other people think, so why even engage with them. Live your life!
Talk to an expert therapist
Talk to a Therapist