Why are so many men so "girlie" then get mad when someone asks on this? Please can you share how I can handle this better?

Smita Joshi, BA Psychology / MA / Advanced EFT Practitioner

I am empathetic with my Clients going through emotional overwhelm and passionate in helping them. I am supportive, openminded & interactive in helping my clients.

Anonymous - Expert in Men's & Women's Issues
January 23rd, 2018 1:21am
There are multiple reasons on why a man might get mad about this. One reason is that they might not like the term "girlie" believing that actions and decisions don't have genders. Another reason might be that when you call a behaviour feminine or "girlie", this can be interpreted as gay/homosexual. They might take that as an insult, or just not like that because they don't identify as gay. Also, another reason might be that it makes them self-conscious about what they do, knowing that people are judging what they do. The best thing to do is to just not make any comments. If you want to move away from whatever they're doing, just ask to switch to another topic.
CourageousHeart1602
There are many factors that could contribute it and that depends on how the individual identifies as. Many cis-het men would generally take offence to be called girlie and take it as an insult or that you're insinuating that they identify as gay. Another factor is that those individuals are part of the LGBT community and you're misgendering them and are not respecting their identity. Always ask an individual of what their preferred pronouns are! It clears up any miscommunication there might be and please use the pronouns that the individual asks you to! I hope this helps! Good luck!
Talk to an expert therapist
Talk to a Therapist