Can OCD tendencies naturally decrease with age?

Tracee Moore, PhD

I have worked with people on a variety issues across a spectrum of issues including grief/loss, adjustment issues, anxiety, depression, medical issues and life transitions.

comfortableRainbow89
No, OCD will always be there. Remember Tesla? His OCD caused him his loneliness and emotions downfall. So, make sure you surround yourself with a lot of good people. Otherwise, prepare for the worst time ever.
BabyBlueSkies04
I believe everyone is different so I am not speaking for anyone but in my personal experience, over time my OCD tendencies have decreased. I still have it but it is much less than how it used to be. I'm still very young and I am already able to control it better so I believe it does decrease with age :)
Anonymous
It's hard to say, I believe it varies from person to person. Some, like myself, have OCD tendencies present from very early childhood, while some may develop obsessive-compulsive symptoms much later in life, so stating that it 'decreases with age' is a moot point. However, you may notice that you are able to cope better with symptoms as time moves on. As you are constantly learning coping strategies every day, this can definitely impact the severity of tendencies over time. For myself, I know that my tendencies fluctuate over time: while they have definitely decreased a lot with my acknowledging the signs and symptoms, I can still sometimes have step backs. This is okay, as this is a part of the healing process.
TheColorInside
Yes. According to one study, about 20% of people with OCD showed even recovery in maximum 40 years after the onset of symptoms. It is widely accepted that certain people eventually recover even though OCD usually remain lifelong. I would say the disorder generally tends to wax and vane over time. The minority of people exhibits an opposite trend, i.e. worsening of symptoms over the course of their live. The majority shows an episodic pattern with OCD signs getting better or even going away and then appearing again. But still, these episodes are usually milder when you're 60 compared to the age of 20.
Caringmoon07
While OCD might not just decrease due to age, it does get easier to manage as you get older. This is because the older you get, the more experience you have dealing with it and the better equipped you are to deal with it. You may grow out of certain compulsions as well as pick up new ones with age. It is important to learn yourself and learn how to deal with your OCD in the best way for YOU. You are capable of achieving anything but you have to truly believe in yourself before this is possible.
Anonymous
November 21st, 2018 3:30am
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder tendencies are very hard for someone with the disorder to control. Almost everything they see has to be moved, slanted back, straightened, rearranged or rebuilt. I have met many people with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and almost all of them are over the age of 20. Most of these people I have known for many many years, and their disorder never changes. A couple of them have been to therapy, and have great support from their friends and loved ones. I do not think OCD naturally decreases with age, but I do feel like someone can get over the disorder with therapy and support.
radiantFireworks51
January 3rd, 2019 11:16am
I think maybe yes. I don’t think it’s quite so natural. You will have to force yourself to stop some tendencies and that should help, but naturally I think, as a person with OCD, some of my my tendencies do tend to decrease in a way that, I don’t feel as much need to do stuff, or the stuff I do do doesn’t bother me to do as much as it use to. Scientifically I do not know the answer sorry but speaking from experience I think partly yes, but in order to fully see a decline it must be partly unnatural
veemcc
As I have grown, I have noticed that my OCD has changed. When I younger, it was more of having rooms and big areas organized and everything needed to be in its place. Now that I am older, my OCD has transferred into smaller, less conventional things that people wouldn't usually think of. When I eat any sort of candy or gummy where anything that has multiple flavors or colors, I have to eat them in a certain order. Whether it’s by color or flavor I can't physically eat-or in general-pick up a different colored of flavored item. I do believe that OCD tendencies can decrease as you get older.
chancey55
It really depends on the person and on the case. With proper therapy and medicine, it's very possible for tendencies to decrease, but it wouldn't really be done naturally. I would say that tendencies themselves don't typically decrease persay, but a person's ability to cope increases as they age and see that things may not be how they think they are and they don't need to seek release in compulsions the way so many people with OCD do. Or, the tendencies will become more manageable ones and obsessions will become milder. But all of this depends on if a person is having success with therapy or other important forms of coping (prescribed medicine, CBD/THC treatment, various learned methods, etc).
DandyDaisy
I would not say that OCD necessarily decreases with age. Instead, it is based on how we cope with having this condition. Some ways to help with OCD is to find different coping mechanisms that may help us. Also, being able to determine what our triggers are can be useful so that we can identify them and know what intensifies the symptoms of our OCD. Have you found anything that possibly helps to lessen your OCD? What has or hasn't worked for you in the past? I would possibly ask yourself those questions to possibly guide you in finding what works best for you. Best of wishes!
Anonymous
It just depend on what the person has been taught like. There are some naturally unorganized, tasty people out there that has been raised to be dirty. And if you were me, I find a OCD quite attractive, due to them having responsibility of cleanliness. Me personally a OCD has to have been taught, by someone else who had a OCD. I personally love that about a person, due to me not always reminding them like a child to away clean up what they should already know that they should be doing as an adult. Adults should never let home get so out of order, due to them having some type of maturity.
caringWinter88
I think that depends on what ocd is caused by. I would do therapy If i had ocd. Then it will be told what the reason of ocd is and from there you can see If it is decreasing by age. It could increase too. Its addictive. The obsession can get worse. If it is coming from something that will increase this it can increase by age. Example: someone stealing could want more of it. Stealing is known for constant the same “obsession “that will repeat. Without help you could stay in same state constantly seeking for the same thing. If this is caused like an odd it will decrease by age. Around 45 odd will be gone. If its caused by something a person wants to hurt others it will increase by age. I would suggest therapy with ocd.
Anonymous
I think OCD tendencies ebb and flow depending on triggers. Possibly, if you are not around triggers as much, the compulsions will decrease, on the other hand, you may develop new triggers and new compulsions. Also, I suppose if you get better at controlling anxiety and anxiety around triggering items (which is what's causing the intrusive thoughts and compulsions), compulsions should lessen. However, usually, the only way to truly diminish compulsions is with therapy, be that behavioral or CBT or ERP. In the case of therapy, although it might not be considered "natural", with age and therefore time spent working on OCD compulsions, the intrusive thoughts should decrease.
Quiltangel75
Tendencies that occur when we are young can sometimes intensify as we age. This is what I have experienced, and see in my friends the same age as I due to hormonal changes. Hormones help us keep on a even keel, and when they are gone we are more helpless than ever. We need more support than ever as we age, and it is very difficult to find. The younger people are not much help, as they have very little resources to draw from. Older people can draw comfort from each other, as we understand the problems each of us face. Problems concerning our future that the younger generation doesn't give much thought to.
Listenerlopez
I believe that with maturity that age brings you start handling the intrusive thoughts better. I think the solution to OCD is to not focus on thoughts. I say you just be an observer to the OCD thoughts but not a judge. Meaning don't condemned yourself to why you thought this thought and have a lawyer fighting for you while you have your OCD fighting against you, instead just be someone that lets the thoughts come and go. I think with age and after so much of fighting with the OCD, we will one day surrender and just let the thoughts be and then will they not have so much power over us.