How can I tell people that OCD is a real condition, not a synonym for liking things to be neat?

Hannah Caradonna, MSW, RCSW (RCC #11330)

Social Worker

I offer a warm and non-judgmental space for you to work through your problems. I can help you with anxiety, disordered eating, depression, relationship problems and more.

Anonymous
January 2nd, 2017 8:56am
Clearing up misinformation and lack of information helps. I've had misconceptions about OCD, even while having symptoms myself. Reading studied information has bettered my understanding. So offering this kind of resources for learning might be your bet.
Anonymous
Have you been clinically Diagnosed with OCD? You do not have to explain something such as your OCD or justify it by any means. This will take time to understand. Your family and friends are able to understand. You have a support team and those are the people whom will show love and support. If someone asks why you are neat, tell them you are an organized person. You do not Have to go into details about it only if you can trust that person. OCD is very much anxiety prone and it can be extremely agonizing. It is something that you will have to work on everyday. It is not something you need to justify to others.
AshleyCompton
OCD is a mental health disorder that consists of intrusive thoughts and compulsions, and can be very draining to the sufferer. Being neat can be an aspect of OCD, but there is also a lot more to it.
Jennifer164
By telling them its full form Obsessive Compulsive 'disorder'.Ask them to Google it and see what exactly it is.Tell them that it is a real mental disorder and is not just about liking things to be neat.
AshThePaperGirl
In order to explain something, we must first know about it first. Try reading about it as much as you can. Familiarize yourself with the topic. Moreover, let them know that wanting things to be neat is just ONE symptom of OCD. There are many others as well. Explain them the need to do certain things and feeling like if you don't, something bad might happen.? You know what you feel. Explain that. Note; Only those understand, who want to understand. If someone closes their eyes, you can't explain it to them. My best wishes.
heretohelp42
OCD is one of the worst metal conditions there is. It is certainly a 'real' condition but it is important to know that one can get over it and combat OCD with the correct guidance.