When I get an irrational thought sometimes it takes over my being and no matter what anyone says I can't seem to control my thoughts?

Kendall Alvis, MA LPC

I provide a safe, accepting and positive therapeutic relationship to clients working through challenging situations including depression, anxiety, and adjustment issues.

Coconut2939 - Expert in Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Instead of controlling them, try to be mindful of them. Acknowledge them, observe how they come and go and let them be. Don't try to prevent them. That is OCD working your brains, it is not you. Being mindful and meditate regularly is helpful with anxiety that comes with OCD. And it makes you stronger to deal with irrational thoughts that are coming. Do read a lot about OCD to understand the condition and how to treat it. I only recently learned that I have OCD and now I will try Exposure Therapy.