Are panic attacks normal? I feel like I'm going crazy.

Shawndean Hutchison, LPC

My work with clients seeks to help them create a life that feel is worth living rather than just surviving. I help people manage problems and reduce stress.

Alo
Panic attacks are just the result oh too much stress, too much things going through your head. You can deal with it, ask me or someone else to help.
Urgarlayessica88
It depends on the person, but I have had panic attack in the past. Not a good feeling at all but you can learn to control them and see what trigger them. So you are not alone! want to chat more message me Urgarlayessica
LexyBee
Panic attacks can be very frightening and intense, but they're not dangerous. An attack won't cause you any physical harm. It is your bodies normal reaction to fear.
Openminded
Panic attacks are most of times the result of the pressure we cause to ourselves. When we cannot express our emotions, then the body takes action. You are not going crazy with the panic attacks. You don't have to worry about that.
DrKyleWilkiePsychologist
Panic attacks are obviously not supposed to happen if you aren't in danger but they are completely normal if you suffer from anxiety or any form of panic disorder or hypochondria. Panic attacks are actually your body trying to help you, it thinks there is a danger (even if there isn't) and gets you prepared to fight it or run away. The problem with panic attacks is sometimes they occur when there is no danger present - this is common with anxiety and panic disorder. The single best treatment for this is CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) which can be done through a psychologist. Your doctor can also prescribe both short and long term medications to combat panic attacks, short term examples are Atvian, Valium and Alepam and long term examples are antidepressants and SSRIs, one of the most popular being Lexapro. Biggest piece of advice I can give? When you start to panic don't fight it. Ride it out. And don't try to 'stop' anxiety or 'stop' panic. This won't work. You just need to manage it.
Againstthegrain
Everyone can experience panic attacks at stressful times or after stressful times in their lives. You are not crazy! They are very scary but are manageable and seeking help is always a great step forward!
Artemis6
November 1st, 2014 11:34am
Panic attacks are normal. Some people have severe attacks for a duration of their time, and then they'll never have it again. Others however have panic attack due to the stress that they're facing and its the body's natural response to either fight or flight.
Anonymous
Panic attacks are common and are usually associated with anxiety. Panic attacks are commonly in response to a loss control in our situation.
Anonymous
Panic attacks may be normal depending upon your individual personality. We are all unique and react to life in different ways.
cuddlySong88
Panic attacks are nothing to freak out about (that pun was horrible. Sorry.) I deal with them all the time, and they can be quite hard to deal with. Everyone has dealt with one at least once in their life, so you're not going crazy. However, if you continue to have panic attacks, and they begin to overrule your life, I'd recommend seeing someone who might help you :)
Anonymous
you're not crazy for having them, they're completely normal. many people experience them, so you're not alone.
Anonymous
yes they are but then it's about constant having fear inside and worrying about something and makes you dizzy, faint or even can't breathe proper ..and that is you feel you are going crazy. But if you do more relaxing at this stage like using techniques e.g. listening to music, watching movies, and also get yourself into physical activity like sports or travelling or do something that you feel happy and enjoy the most.
kittykat
The occasional stress and anxiety in response to environmental stressors is normal, but panic and anxiety attacks -- particularly repeated panic and anxiety attacks -- are not normal. The best thing you can do is reach out to a mental health professional to have the attacks evaluated and treated. However, if you don't have access to medical care, community outreach and support is the next best thing! 7cups has several guides to managing anxiety, emotions, panic attacks, and caring for oneself.
Anonymous
I wouldn't call them normal, no. Most people do not experience panic attacks. However, having panic attacks does not make you crazy. They might be more common than you think they are.
September 2nd, 2015 3:04am
Although it is normal to have them depending on your situation, but if you have them regularly or they have been ongoing whether with or without a reason, perhaps speaking to a healtcare provider, counselor or therapist will help.
Anonymous
A great deal of the population has at least one panic attack in their lives. In this sense, panic attacks are normal. However, they may be the symptom of something else -- ex. anxiety about a given situation. Panic attacks are a way of reacting to a situation, so if you have a panic attack, don't feel you're going crazy. It's just a bit scary, but it's not at all a sign of a serious mental problem. The best thing to overcome them (apart from obviously going to see a psychologist) is to read a lot about how they work, the symptoms, etc. This way, you can have more knowledge on panic attacks and see that they are more normal than what we normally think.
PrincessPea247
There are statistic that show that most adults will have a panic attack at least once in their life. In that respect they are fairly common. You can't say that the are 'normal' because everyone definition of normal is different. But, it doesn't mean you are going crazy. Panic attacks can just be something that we experience in our lives. Some people may have lots in a very short space of time and then never have them again, some may have them consistently throughout their lives and then there are some that won't have them at all. I guess you just need to know that you are not going crazy and that we are all here for you.
eyestohear
some say they are and some say they arent but when you get one just focus on something to distract you like a hobby or something and try to relax your breathing it helps a ton
Anonymous
panic attacks happen with a lot of people but they are afraid to speak about it because it makes you feel like your going crazy and make others think your going crazy when in fact its not the case at all its probably more common than you realize I know because I have suffered them in past myself you just need to learn to sit down a for a few minutes take a few deep breaths and find something to focus on have someone help you and support when this is happening as well then before you know it you will back to your normal self again
Livie543
Panic attacks are perfectly normal and often signs of an anxiety disorder. You are defiantly not crazy, just in a stressful place. You should seek help and talk to someone about what leads you to have these attacks. Do not feel there is something wrong with you and try not to keep everything to yourself.
CompassionCow
Yes they're normal, and feel free to ask me any questions and ill help you with whatever you need. i hope you feel better
Anonymous
I have experienced this before. Though they are not normal, having panic attacks does not mean you are crazy. It simply means your body is telling you something is stressing you out enough to panic. I thought that for a while as well, trust me, you're good :)
Poppies
They are totally normal. It is just your body's way of saying "oh no, this is too much to handle". Learning how to manage the panic attacks can reduce the frequency and the severity.
Anonymous
Panic attacks are very worrying and overwhelming, but completely normal. Perhaps going to your doctor would make you feel more comfortable and you could receive some extra support.
SnugglyPanda123
Panic attacks are normal, it's just were your nerves kinda just freak out over stress,etc. Ive been through this
cjbruah
Everyone perhaps experiences panic attacks once or attacks in their lives. When having panic attacks it is almost always accompanied by a foreboding fear and that feeling like you're going crazy. If it is recurring, then it becomes a panic disorder.
Anonymous
Panic attacks don't make you weird or crazy! In fact, a common feeling during them is that you're going crazy. It's important to remind yourself that those feelings are normal during a panic attack, and many people have anxiety disorders that lead to panic attacks.
Peacefulmeditation
It's normal to experience panic attacks when you are going through a stressful time. Feeling like you are "going crazy" is actually a sign of a panic attack.
Anonymous
panic attacks can be normal if you have anxiety and everyone has anxiety some point in their life so i guess so,hope i helped
RosyFlames
Panic attacks are normal. That is just your mind telling you that you're nervous or stressed about something. I am here to listen and talk if you'd like.