Are panic attacks normal? I feel like I'm going crazy.

Terri McDermott, LCSW

If you are struggling with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, I'll partner with you to improve your mood and your life in a nonjudgmental and supportive way.

SoftBlanket40
Panic attacks can be extremely scary, whether is it for the person going through them, or the people surrounding. It's not something to be taken lightely, but the good news is it can be managed, and one can learn to do that by himself. I've been through a few panic attacks, and though the first ones used tobe extremely scary, I've learned to feel when they are approaching, or when something may trigger them. You are the best expert on You, and you can definitely overcome them!
hopefulhelper19
They are normal, but they are also something you need to consult with your doctor about. If not an option, at least your parents.
LucyLemon18
Panic attacks are normal, when we feel bad or we have problems and we don't really know how to control it we may have this break downs, but it's nothing to be ashamed of, I used to locked my self in a restroom, but then I realised I had to fight the problem and I was not crazy because of it, I just had this little problem and I needed to fight it no hide myself :) if you wanna talk just tell me. Be strong
soundsculptor
Panic attacks are very normal. The feeling of one going crazy is a common sensation, and it's because of your body going into fight or flee mode. During a panic attack it's common to hyperventilate. This means that the brain is getting more oxygen than normal, and the reaction to that may be a sensation of derealization, the feeling that the world doesn't seem real. It's not possible to "go crazy" from panic attacks, but feeling like that seems unbearable during the moment of panic.
Anonymous
No, panic attacks aren't normal, but they depends on anxiety. Anxiety is normal. Lots of people have it. I think that panic attacks are the "explosion" of anxiety that we normal have for situations. If you are stressed, maybe you could have anxiety or in the worst of cases, panic attacks. Your heart starts to beat more fast and you are scared. It's our body that react like this, but this statement starts in our mind.
Lulu147
Panic attacks are fairly common, some people experience panic attacks more frequently than others. Panic attacks can be triggered given the stress level and situation someone is experiencing in there life. Panic attacks are linked to an anxiety disorder.
ItWillAllBeAlright
Panic attack are very normal. Everytime I've had a panic attack, music and fresh air have helped me. It's always a good Idea, to tell people it.
tattoo99
Some panic attacks are normal, but when you often have these attacks, it could be unhealthy. You are not crazy, because it is normal. When you have a panic attack, try to breath in a calm way and count till 10
Annie626
Simple answer; Yes, entirely normal. It's your body's way of letting off the extra stress that you hold onto
Anonymous
Panic attacks aren't normal, but they're not something that makes you crazy. Rather, it's a hard experience that happens to many people, but not nearly the majority. This is treatable. You are perfectly sane.
Anonymous
No. Calm down and think for a minute. I don't know what other advice to give in a hundred characters.
iremheretohelpyou
Feeling like going crazy is normal when you have panic attacks. But the thing is, you should take a deep breath again and again. And remember that they will last maximum 15 minutes. Don't think you're gonna die. Breathing exercises can make you feel better, but you should see a good doctor and get a treatment about it.
Anonymous
Yes, they are. Don't worry about them. Keep calm and I'll do my best to provide u solutions about it.
Anonymous
They are "normal" if you have a panic disorder. Otherwise, no, they are not a normal part of life. Some people never have one. But, take it from someone who has had them, just because you are suffering with this now doesn't mean it will be a problem for your whole life.
Anonymous
Yes it is normal for a human being to feel anxiety and experience panic attacks . when you feel like your going through one , it would be best to stop thinking and just lie down and rest and keep calm . Harder said than done but once you try regaining your composure you would feel much better . We all have felt anxious at various points in our life . so yes you are completely normal . there is nothing wrong with you for feeling this way.
Anonymous
Yes! Most people just don't like to admit it because, to them, it feels like they are "weak" or "childish".
victoriousParadise88
Panic attacks can be normal in some situations. Like when your house catches on fire. You panic to get out of there
Anonymous
If they are recurrent and severely debilitating, they may be anxiety symptoms and should be notified to a doctor. Otherwise, panic attacks can come and go and there are countless ways to manage them.
natasha810
Of course, they're normal and can happen to anybody. Just take a deep breath. I know how cliche that sounds, just trust me it helps. You're not going crazy, but if this frequently happens talk to somebody who you trust about it.
Alliza
Panic attacks happen when you feel overwhelmed, or out of control. You are not going crazy. Try to find things to ground yourself, like a visual, touch, taste, sound, or smell.
brightLight57
Yes, panic attacks are normal. The easiest thing to do is sit quietly and try to breathe. When I have one, putting my head between my knees and sitting silently helps the best.
Laena
Panic attacks are normal and incredibly common. It absolutely feels like you are going crazy when you are having one, but you're not! You are not going to die from the panic attack, and it will pass. If you find yourself having panic attacks frequently, consider making an appointment with your doctor!
ListeningOak
Panic attacks are normal and to be expected occasionally but they're not something we have to resign ourselves to, we can always learn better coping mechanisms that help us stop them before they even begin.
Casscass
Panic attacks are normal in life. Its part of being human! If you feel that its something you want help with you could go to your doctor about it and ask them for advice or help. Hope that helps!
Musicislife
Panic attacks can be completely normal. Try to take deep breathes and focus on something physical in the room. It will help
catsandcoffee17
Yes they are, it's normal to have panick attacks anyway you should talk to a professional consselour and ask for help
Anonymous
October 22nd, 2015 8:09am
I've experienced that before and I think it's not normal. :( if you want, you can seek help from a therapist or if you aren't comfortable, you can speak with a trusted friend/ family member about it. Also, I try to avoid panic attacks by making myself calm whenever I can feel it coming. It is triggered by a situation actually..
Anonymous
According to psychology there's a wide range of different types of panic attacks and different triggers. It is normal for the brain to trigger such things depending on what type of panic attack you're experiencing.
TheOnewhoListens09
Panic attacks ARE normal. Everyone has ever had a panic attacks. The most important is to calm down, take a deep breath and try to continue in your work.
poofinessence
Yes and no. Panic attacks are normal for people who experience panic attacks :) But they are not "normal" for people with no mental health concerns. I totally understand how they would make you feel crazy, though. They can be very scary as they're happening! But panic attacks don't make you "crazy." A lot of times, they can be quite manageable with medication, and you can learn ways how to calm yourself down. They really suck when we're going through them, but there is a lot you can do to try and prevent them! :)