Are there ways to cope with panic attacks without having to take medicine?

April Zamzow, CSW, LPC

There are many times in our lives when we could use an ear to listen and help us through the things that we are struggling with. I can do that.

Arwa
Yes, therapy helps a lot. Take 10 deep breaths when you feel an attack is coming; you'll be amazed by its effect. Try identifying what is causing them and track what thoughts come to mind. Thoughts have a great impact on anxiety. Exercising is important too.
Devonne
There are breathing techniques which can help to cope with panic attacks. I think it's important to clean your mind and think about reasons of your panic attack.
EternalOptimist
Retreat to a safe and calm zone. Take few deep breaths and close your eyes. Then try to think of something peaceful, like a meadow or a beach with its soothing waves. Block out the outside world and focus on your thoughts. Try to feel the positivity of those thoughts and connect with it. This works even beter if you've got some calm ambient music or ambient sounds, I've noted from personal experience. Especialy so with headphones since they usualy block out external noise. Enjoy the moment that you create for yourself and remember that free time is important, especialy in these digital, stressfull times.
Anonymous
Grounding techniques, breathing techniques guided by somebody (or reading a webpage too), sensory stimulation such as using a rubber band to snap against the wrist if one is about to have a panic attack or icing their hands to feel and to snap out of it.
Denissebg
I read somewhere that taking a deep breath and thinking of something that makes you happy works, so that's what I do and it actually helps
Silvija
Person who has panic attack can try to breathe in and tense every muscle in body , be like that for 10 seconds and then relax and breathe out.
ListenerCalvin
Deep breathing exercises work remarkably well. Just slowly count between one and two. One, breath in, two, breath out.
Georgie4
Breathing exercises are a really great way to help you cope with panic attacks. They're good in the short term, for helping you while having a panic attack. You can check out the panic attacks support guide on this website for more information about those! Another, more long-term way to get help is CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) which helps you to face what causes your panic attacks, and addresses the issue directly to help change the way your brain reacts to these things in a more positive way, without involving medication.
Abhinavk
By thinking about the good things in life - at the time we should try to remember the good time and we should try to remember the people we love .
Priyah
Yes, taking deep breaths and listening to calming music has helped me a lot during my panic attacks.
brookeanne1201
There are always ways to cope with [anything] without having to take medicine. Deep breaths, in your mouth and out your nose.
Saakshi
Personally, when I feel a panic attack coming on I do breathing exercises to attempt to calm down. Breathe in for 5 seconds, hold for 7, and breathe out for 5.
Alexandreasl
There are plenty of ways to cope, one cope that ive heard about is to just cry it out. its always good to cry.
Anonymous
Yes there certainly is.. Breathing exercises can help to calm you down. It's all about you being calm so what ever calms you down could be just as helpful.
Anonymous
Yes there are. Read the Panic Attacks guide could be a big help or ask your counselor for ways to cope with panic attacks.
Artemis6
November 1st, 2014 11:14am
Yes :) Doing some breathing exercise can help cope with panic attacks, or use the method of distraction such as chewing on gum, or blowing on your thumb which can return the heart to normal pumping rhythm.
makgoby
Deep breaths and ridding yourself of all things that would spark any sort of negativity for the time being.
Mareh
Deep breaths. Remember that a panic attack is caused by emotions, and that physically you're going to be okay. Turn on lights, especially if it happens at night. Call someone you trust if you feel alone.
lightPetrichor34
Check out the anxiety self help guide, but things that might be helpful are deep breathing (so deep that your stomach moves and your chest presses out, try five or seven seconds in, five or seven seconds out), focusing on relaxing specific parts of your body one at a time, or calling somebody who can either talk you through it or get your mind off it. Most countries have anxiety hotlines you can call to talk to somebody, too. Seeing a therapist regularly can also help relieve built-up stress, as can exercise and keeping busy.
RisingSun
Finding a good support system will always help me. If I feel a panic attack coming on I will tell the people around me, and ask for their help.
Anonymous
Something that I find useful is to get fresh air or walk around in order to ground yourself. Repeat out loud that you are safe and you areokay. Sometimes I think of memories that were very special or fun. Feeling something soft, like a pet or even a blanket also helps. If you feel like something cold or hard, running your hands under cold water or eating/squeezing ice cubes is great. And remember to breathe! Focus on your breath or you may start to hyperventilate. That happens when you actually don't have enough carbon dioxide in your system. Breathe in a paper bag, or if you don't have one cup your hand over your mouth. This is from personal experience :)
SydneySmiles
Absolutely! Something that can be really helpful is meditation. If you get in a regular routine (let's say once in the morning and once before bed) of being able to be in a relaxed state, then when those moments of panic hit you will know different way to de escalate. Deep breathing works wonders during a panic attack. There are a ton of guided meditations you can find online. One that I like to share with people is https://www.headspace.com/ because the meditations are guided and great for beginners. Best of luck!
Anonymous
Take long breaths, don't try to breathe too deeply in case you hyperventilate. Make a mental note of your anxiety level (0-10) and think 'how much worse can this get?' Most panic attacks reach a peak point and then fade away. Remember that a panic attack will not kill you, you won't ever just stop breathing.
Dresden
There are! In my experience, mindfulness activities really help with anxiety. One example of this is breathing in for 4 counts and out for 7. Another would be tapping, or grounding, which are really easy to find online tutorials for.
beautifulLight15
There are many ways to cope with panic attacks without medication. Try breathing in deep and exhaling slow. You can also move away from the stressor and try calming down, there is also music and writing and exercise. I've learned after having a panic disorder, that I just need to be more outgoing and not let things bottle up. I found dancing and moving around very helpful!:)
dario78
The way I would suggest anyone who has to cope with panic attacks is diet, meditation, exercise, and breathing techniques, for instance.
Anonymous
yes there are quite a few ways to cope with panic attacks. There are tons of grounding techniques and breathing exercises that can be used during a panic attack to calm yourself down.
SpiritWolfNYC
Yes there are tons of ways and these include reading, drinking tea such as camomile, lavender or passionflower (helps relieve all anxiety and is around the same strength as medication). Meditation, yoga and exercising are good as well!
Em
Yoga and meditation are great ways to work on overall calmness and earn tools that become very valuable when time comes and you feel the need to calm yourself down on your own. Journaling also helps, as it helps find the triggers to panic attacks, which in turn helps pinpoint the issues in your life that cause anxiety, and alleviate that anxiety. It's all quite a process, but it's really worth it :)
MusicalZoe
The most useful way I have found to cope with my panic attacks has been to find something small to focus on. It can be as simple as a book on your desk, or a blade of grass if you're outside. Focus on that one, tangible thing, right in front of you. Try to think about only that thing. I have found that getting your focus back to the present during a panic attack can be remarkably helpful. Once you've reigned in your thoughts, try to focus on your breathing. When you take slow, deep breaths, it can help lower your heart rate, which can help calm other panic attack symptoms. The final thing that helps me is reaching out to someone you know who has had a panic attack, and simply telling them you're having one. They can help you talk through your symptoms, and focus on overcoming them.