Are there ways to cope with panic attacks without having to take medicine?

Smita Joshi, BA Psychology / MA / Advanced EFT Practitioner

I am empathetic with my Clients going through emotional overwhelm and passionate in helping them. I am supportive, openminded & interactive in helping my clients.

ImLittleM
Of course there are ways to cope with panic attacks without having to take medicine. My favorite method was taught by a psychologist I once visited. He told me to use your senses, and reconnect yourself with every sense you have. Breathe in and out, touch something, try to open your eyes and focus on an object, taste the inside of your mouth, listen to the sounds around you, and breathe in and out of your nose to smell. This allows you to focus on yourself, and not the fact that you are experiencing an attack.
Anonymous
Taking deep and even breaths actually really help. Take it in slowly and steady and focus on steadily on your breaths and your goal.
Anonymous
Lots of ways! Meditation, exercise, passions, self-inquiry, personal development. Realize that fear only exists in your head - it is just a feeling, it isn't part of reality. Your brain is trying to trick you that the fear is real. Good luck! I believe in you!
Anonymous
Panic attacks and panic disorder are treatable conditions. They can usually be treated successfully with self-help strategies or a series of therapy sessions. Cognitive behavioral therapy is generally viewed as the most effective form of treatment for panic attacks, panic disorder, and agoraphobia. Cognitive behavioral therapy focuses on the thinking patterns and behaviors that are sustaining or triggering the panic attacks. It helps you look at your fears in a more realistic light. For example, if you had a panic attack while driving, what is the worst thing that would really happen? While you might have to pull over to the side of the road, you are not likely to crash your car or have a heart attack. Once you learn that nothing truly disastrous is going to happen, the experience of panic becomes less terrifying
Anonymous
There are many ways to cope with panic attacks that do not involve medication. Some popular techniques involve rhythmic breathing and grounding exercises.
Believeinspiredream
Yes definitely. Firstly if you are in a stressful situation if you can try and leave and go somewhere quite. However I know this can be hard. Secondly breathing exercises, meditation and grounding exercises also work to calm the initial panic down. After that if your panic attacks are frequent you can have CBT which means (cognitive behavioural therapy) this can help alter your thoughts, behaviour and emotion. Hope this helped :)
Anonymous
Yes, many. Deep breathing, talking to someone you trust, taking a shower, exercise (even something as simple as a walk) are all extremely helpful.
HelpingStarlight
There are a couple of ways to cope without medicine; Meditation and/or Mindfulness, breathing exercises, and systematic desensitization which is explained in the panic attack guide on 7 cups
Sisterkeeper7
Relax take deep breaths and slowly leave them out all counting backwards from 30sec keep doing that until you feel calme
Anonymous
There absolutely are ways to cope without using any medications. One of the most effective ways are breathing. Calming breathing techniques such as the 4-7-8 method are very effective in calming the mind and helping end panic attacks. There are many more methods as well but many people find breathing to work for them. Another very effective way is yoga and meditation. This type of exercise is very relaxing not only for the mind but for the body. By calming your body and muscles you reduce stress, sleep better, and help to limit the number of panic attacks that you will have in the future (that is if you persistently meditate).
AlwaysHere4U2020
There are different ways to cope with panic attacks without medication, but this is something someone with the trained skills and professional-expertise should be advising. I recommend maybe talking to a trained professional that can better assist you with this. on the other hand, some of the most common methods of coping with panic attacks/ anxiety are: -Control your breathing. While it sounds so simplistic in nature, controlling your breathing can help you control you body functions too. Hyperventilating, or rapid breathing, causes your body to work harder which adds more stress to the efforts of keeping everything under control. -Another thing is to find something that comforts you or helps you remove your feelings and thoughts away from the source of your anxiety/panic attacks. Some people may find hobbies such as drawing, writing, reading, exercising etc. anything that works best for you will always be the best method; and a combination of them is also very well needed. Good luck, i wish you the best!
KatieAListener
This is a 5-4-3-2-1 practice that helps to ground yourself when feeling anxious. ~Maybe you do this with a partner and you both share back and forth as you flow through the exercise, or maybe you sit with yourself and move along in your head or aloud to yourself~ First, you think of five things you can see. Currently, I can see my paintbrushes, the water bowl that is unifying all the different pigments of my palette, the vibrant colors from my paint set, the front lawn from the glass doors ahead of me, and Chip. Next, think of four things you can hear. Right now, I can hear Eugene by Arlo Parks playing softly, I can hear the birds chirping outside, I hear the splashing of the water when I dip my brushes into its bowl, and I can hear the subtle sound of my breath. The third practice is to list three things you can feel. In this moment, I feel gratitude for my art supplies that allow me to engage therapeutically and creatively, I feel the tide of my breathe as I perform the inhalation and exhalation pattern, and I feel Chip as he lightly leans into my leg. Then, unearth two things you can smell. For me, I can smell individually, and in other moments, the coalesce of vanilla and lavender from my candles burning. Lastly, name one thing you can taste. Presently, I can taste cinnamon from the rugelach I had earlier ☕️💛
Anonymous
There are most definitely ways to cope with panic attacks without taking medicine. Panic attacks are really hard to deal with, and often feel terrifying, but there are ways you can change that. There are different things, and some people find things helpful that others won't, but it is at least worth a try. You can always check out therapy, try some coping skills such as controlled breaths, box breathing, grounding exercises, and so many more. The trick is to find a bunch, and simply see which ones work, because there will be some you find you might like, and others you find are not helpful at all.