Hi I'm in college and I have severe anxiety and panic attacks, especially when it comes to school. I am paralyzed by fear. How do I overcome this and get my work done without panicking and shutting down?

Collin McShirley, LMFT

I love helping people overcome challenges with food, depression, and anxiety. My work with clients is nonjudgement, supportive, and kind.

calmZebra60
There's a few things I know of. One is grounding- it's similar to mindfulness. Name 5 things you can see, 4 things you can hear, 3 things you can touch, 2 things you can taste, and 1 good thing about yourself. As for time management, there's the pomodoro technique. 25 minutes of hard work followed by a ten minute break. tomatotimer. com has the timer built in for this. Good luck!
KindPear
Take time out of your schedule to just be. Listen to a meditation or mindfulness on youtube for anxiety calm down, or watch your favorite thing. Take things one at a time, and just try to do the next right thing. Instead of thinking of everything at once. I know it's easier said than done. good luck
Anonymous
November 21st, 2017 4:55am
Set a goal for yourself. Tell yourself "I will get X done by X time. Reward yourself if you've completed it. If not, that's okay too. Just remember that asking for help from someone is okay too!
LetMeHelpYouBecomeBetter
Find/get a friend(s) who can help you get through it. Think of calming things like rippling water, nature. Take time to just relax.
Anonymous
To handle panic attacks and get work done is if you are having it than leave the place to calm down or getting all your work done than finding a spot or someone to help you ease your panic attacks.
Dawn04
It might be helpful to create a schedule for yourself that goes beyond classes - like when you are going to study for each precise class and to do the work. Short of anything unexpected like an emergency, stick to this schedule.