How can I control my breathing?

Elizabeth Kincade, Ph.D.

I work collaboratively with clients because together we can make the changes you want and need. I listen and support and as well as advise and coach.

GhostGhost
Many yoga classes and videos on YouTube will have videos on breathing exercises. But most genre ly state to breath in threw your nose and count to ten, followed by breathing out threw your mouth on the count of ten as well.
GypsySoul95
Focus on the feeling of the air entering and leaving your body. It helps slow my breathing down when I need to catch my breathe.
XImperfectSymphonyX
By personal experience, I can say that counting things around you can help :) For example, how many woman have their hair up in this room? or How many square objects are in this room ?
peacefulSummer36
Practice breathing in for four counts and then breathing out for four counts. Starting your morning with a breathing exercise can help your breathing throughout the rest of the day. It prepares your lungs for a long day of breathing and can help keep it consistent. During a panic attack or an asthma attack, place your hands above your head and breathe in as deeply as you can as slowly as you can. After a few times, your breathing will slow down and become normal again.
RideMikeRide
If you experiencing dramatic over-breathing (hyperventilation), you can help control it by breathing into either a paper bag or pillow until your breathing rate normalizes.
T1taniumx
If you are having a panic attack or feeling nervous a good way to control your breathing is by taking deep breaths in and out and counting at even intervals. Taking deep breaths that fill all of your lungs help relax all those muscles that might be tense while you are experiencing heavy uncontrolled breathing.
friendlyUnicorn16
Thing that helps to me is to breathe in on my nose for 4 seconds and breathe out for 4 seconds. Do it for a while, you should feel better after it.
AmyTheListener
There are plenty of ways to control breathing. I have panic attacks and breathing is very difficult during them. I usually put my head between my legs and that helps me breathe smoother and cleaner.
LeapingLaughter
Start by tuning everything else out. Breath in through your nose and count to four. Hold the breath for four counts, then release the breath through your mouth for four counts, and hold the exhale for four counts. This can help you reset your breathing.
laramsilva
Normaly people don't pay to much atenttion to their breath, but that is an important thing. When you feel stressed it's important for you to control your breathing. Breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. I, for example, breath in through my nose for the count of 4 seconds, then breath out of my mouth for the count of 4 seconds.
anotherfrenchtoastmafiaa
May 23rd, 2016 7:42am
Take a long, slow breath in through your nose, first filling your lower lungs, then your upper lungs. Hold your breath to the count of "three." Exhale slowly through pursed lips, while you relax the muscles in your face, jaw, shoulders, and stomach. DO NOT PANIC. :)
Angelynn
Try the four, seven, eight breathing exercise. Breathe in for four, out for seven, and in for eight. It can help you to sleep and calm down from panic attacks.
KittensAndAshley
Focus your attention on something that is constant, like a wall or a window. Count to 10 and ten recite your ABC's in rhythm with your breaths
Anonymous
Using breathing techniques
cynderislame
November 1st, 2016 9:05pm
Controlled breathing is completely based on focusing! If you try to tune things out and close your eyes, concentrating on taking deep breaths in and out, your breathing will steady. You can also try counting, breathing in for 4 and out for 5 or something along those lines!
carlee11
Personally, this is what I do when I need to get my breathing under control. I first think about something calming. I go to a safe place in my head. I then count my breathes , or say "In" and "out" in my head slowly. I focus only on the words in and out or the numbers. It helps to completely remove myself for the troubling thoughts or situations.
gigantOcean79
Focus on the amount of seconds passed between each breath. Breathe in for 7 seconds, filling your lungs then exhale slowly. Once you empty your lungs, leave them empty for a second before breathing in again. Repeat.
KindPear
Check out some guided meditation/mindfulness for anxiety/panic on youtube. There are a lot of ones specifically to help breathing. I use them every day honestly. But breathing in through the nose for 4 and out for 6 has been helpful sometimes. I've heard doing it for different amounts of time can help reset things.
Anonymous
Tap the tip of your thumb against the tip of your pointer finger, then the tip of your middle finger... untill you reach your pinky. While doing this count to 4 and inhale, then work backwards from your pinky counting to 4 again while you exhale.
AsincereListener
To cut things short, by opening and closing your mouth lol. But truly speaking, by closing your eyes and inhaling deeply, focusing all your attention on all the air rushing into your lungs, filling them up. And then exhaling slowly, feeling your lungs push out all that air. Keep doing that in every tensed situation and problem solved. Hopefully.
Rosalita
Try putting your wrists under cold (streaming) water, find someone who can comfort you (if there is someone). Count or do breathing exercises, listen to calm music. Hold someone's hand (sounds weird, but it works)
Anonymous
Try breathing with counts. As you breathe in, count to 5, hold your breath, count to 5, breathe out, count to 5. There are many .gifs out there that serves as a visual aid for breathing. You breathe in and out as the image moves. There are also mindfulness apps that helps to guide breathing.