How can I escape a crowded environment when I feel a panic attack coming on ?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

Anonymous
If this happens, try to make your way through the people and find a bathroom to "hide out" in until the attack passes. If you're with someone, excuse yourself to use said bathroom so you can calm down in a private environment.
MissCali95
To escape a crowded environment when you feel a panic attack coming on, you can simply excuse yourself away from everyone, politely make your way through openings in the crowd, and say you need a breath of fresh air. It works for me every time.
littlebambi
Get out any way you can. Excuse yourself if you're with people and find a safe place away from everyone. Bathrooms, hallways no one is in, and even outside of buildings are all places you can find that are isolated enough you'll be able to focus.
DipityEnigma
You can try listening to music and focus on that. Try to think of everyone as people who aren't really there. They're all holograms that can't harm you and they don't have feelings or emotions. They're simply there. Keep walking and ignore anyone who you don't want to talk to or even acknowledge their existence. If you're on somewhere like a train, listen to your music, look out the window and try to let the music take you in the moment. Hope this helps.
faintlyglowing
Excuse yourself for a moment, perhaps go to the bathroom and try catching your breath. If your companions understand you're having a panic attack, you can also ask them for help.
Anonymous
Leave the room, find a space, face a wall, lean or sit - just get comfortable. Close your eyes. Keep focused on something else e.g. you can repeat a quote, song lyric or nursery rhyme. Try breathing exercises, drink some water and listen to some soothing music
delisihz
Use your breath as an anchor. Try to find somewhere that is a little more quiet, and breathe in slowly. In and out, feel your feet placed on the ground, and try to remain calm. If you are unable to find somewhere less crowded, try to see if it is safe to shut your eyes, and breathe slowly and deeply. Visualise something calming. You are on a beach and you can feel the sound in between your toes. I hope this helps. X
Teikeji
Take deep breaths and count to 10. Don't think about the panic attack, just concentrate on breathing. Find 5 objects you can see, then find 3 objects that you can touch, then find something that you can smell, then go touch the objects and smell the one. If you can't get it to go away then go to a bathroom or a closet and try to get it to go away
Anonymous
If I have a friend with me I let them know discretely I am uncomfortable and then look for a slightly less crowded corner. Lemon drops or mint gum also help, and I count things, like windows, doors, red shoes, etc.
MusicalMountaineer
An idea would be to quietly excuse yourself to find a restroom. Find a stall and take deep breaths, slowly in and out. Clear your mind and try to focus on your breathing only.
ViolettaK
February 23rd, 2016 2:39pm
If you're with a friend, stick to them and ask them to find a quieter place for you. If you're not, try going to the bathroom or any nearby place with less people and start thinking positive thoughts, try to think of a friend or family member. Or even call them.
jovialCat69
Start taking deep breaths, inhale through nose exhale through mouth. Nobody notices you are in panic unless u have a companion with u. Just sit at the closest comfort spot like a bench. Dont fight the panic. Just let it be. Ignore and distract yourself to some beautiful thought and feel how blessed u are when u compare urself to people wirh more severe diseases. Thats it. When it is gone, it would have made u stronger and u wud have learned a bit how to handle it.
Anonymous
First of all relax close your eyes and breath. Tell someone to help you get out of there. Keep breathing in and out.
Anonymous
Think happy thoughts or try and leave the area go to a bathroom or less crowded space or seek a trusted friend or family member