How can I prevent panic attack?

Terri McDermott, LCSW

If you are struggling with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, I'll partner with you to improve your mood and your life in a nonjudgmental and supportive way.

Anonymous
When you feel like your about to have a a panic attack you can try a grounding exercise it goes like this Look around and find 5 things that you can see, then try to find 4 things you can touch, then 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste. This would you distract you from your previous thoughts and might calm you down.....
Tgump
There's no surefire way to prevent panic attacks, but there are many ways to recognize the signs & symptoms of a panic attack coming on, so you can react to it as quickly as possible. Sometimes simply controlling your breathing and reminding yourself "I am having a panic attack, and it will pass" can make all the difference.
heyfrenchie
Take a deep breath. Put yourself in a comfortable environment. Understand that it's okay to feel upset sometimes. Tell yourself that you are strong, and don't let yourself become embarrassed or worried about experiencing the anxiety. The only thing that should be of concern to you in that moment is your physical, mental, and emotional well-being. Remember that all you can do is grow. You're the gardener of your life.
KaylaWright1125
Relax and take deep breaths when you feel one coming on. Focus on something different that takes your mind off it, maybe listen to music, play a game, or whatever makes you feel better. Get plenty of sleep and try not to be stressed.
Anonymous
There are many ways of preventing a panic attack, but what works for one person may not work for another, you are best to speak to your doctor about this to come up with a list of thing's you can try. If one does not work, do not lose faith there are many other ways of preventing a panic attack.
Panic attacks are caused by triggers, if you can stay away from the triggers you can avoid the attacks. But the best thing is to find out why you have this triggers and panic attacks and deal with them.
Beastlyenough
By meditating daily. And telling yourself that you are stronger than whatever is to come!and also by trying to keep a positive outlook towards life!
SoftBlanket40
One thing I do when I feel a panic attack approaching, is I find a peaceful corner where I can sit by myself, and I try to really focus on my breathing. I also try to do my best not to panick, convincing myself that all that I'm feeling is not life-threatening, and that it will pass. That tends to calm me down :)
EllaLoves
Panic attacks can come at any time and it is best to know the facts, and know your triggers, if you take rescue medication take it when you need it, avoid triggers, and do not drive when you are having one. Remember to breathe, it will pass!
intelligentPalm37
Take few deep breaths in and out. Pretend you are breathing in sunshine and happiness and exhale sadness.
suspiciouslookingcactus
When trying to prevent panic attacks, it's important to identify your triggers. It is also really helpful to understand why your body feels how it feels. For example, if during a panic attack you feel nauseous or your stomach hurts, that's because your body is in a fight or flight mode and it shuts down your digestion because it wants to devote all of your energy into either fighting or fleeing. You should do some research about all of your symptoms. Once you know why you feel the way you feel, it'll become less scary and a lot more easy to manage your panic attacks. Hope this helps!
DaveMcGrath
I use meditation to center myself, reduce my anxiety, and then refocus my energies towards moving forward in my day. Key to this is centering myself by reducing the outside stimuli of my world down to a smaller part of it. I do this by focusing on a single point and closing out all the distractions.
Anonymous
It’s different for every person. First, step away from what is making you panic, if you know what it is. Find a comfortable space. Take deep breaths. This is the most important step. Make sure your breathing is equal and slow.
Anonymous
Normally, panic attacks just happen and you don't even realize it at first. A good thing to do when you have a panic attack is to take slow, deep breaths and keep yourself grounded. Remember that this feeling is temporary and that you are more than the problems you have. As a human being, you can bounce back from so many things. If you continue panicking, the 7 cups Anxiety guide is an extremely helpful tool for alleviating anxiety. Remember that you are more than your panic attacks and you can get through this. You are a bad ass.