How can I stop a panic attack if I don't have my medication on me?

Jennifer Brown, LMHC

I believe cultivating a gentle, loving acceptance of one's self takes tremendous courage because the path is often painful. It's not for the faint of heart.

Anonymous
Try to think about what is making you panic. Think about the situation and try to calm yourself down, take deep breaths, and try to avoid whatever is making you panic. You're strong, and you can calm yourself down until you can get your medication!
Anonymous
Close your eyes.Remember you control your body,it does not control you.Focus on your lungs and slowly stabilize your breath and focus on it.It's ok to take your time,remember;panic attacks dont last forever.
nobodyj15
My friends and I call it "grounding". Look around the room. Say out loud what the objects in the room are. say the colors of these objects also. if there is a window, go to the window and say what you see out side the window. Trees, birds, houses etc. say the colors too. If there is a book, say out loud what the book was about. basically use the area around you to "ground yourself" into that moment, forget about whatever it is that was scaring you. Sounds weird, but it works. *Hugs to all of you* If you want to talk, please message me whenever I am on! If im not on, message me and I will respond as soon as humanly possible. :)
Em
Simply follow along this video, or after watching this video — do what the video teaches you, and you should feel much better already https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQrsJ-yZWV8
JannaD
You have to focus on your breathing, lay on the floor and take deep breathes and just listen how you breath, how the air goes in and out from your body
frostyMoon72
it is very important to relax and breathe. maybe find a quite place where you can calm down and think about why you are feeling this way and how to stop it
Anonymous
Remind yourself over and over that you can breathe. Then if possible, walk outside and stare at clouds without judgement, another option could be listening to classical music :)
PRUNE4BEE
BREATHE!!!! keep calm. count to 10. Do not run or move around. And realize that this fear is NOT real. it takes practise
gentleBeauty54
For me i use my breathing excersizes and mindfulness exercises to get me through the panic! That usually helps me!
olimaar
Sit down. Take a deep breath. Close your eyes, and think about what makes you happy. What I like to do is carry a list of my favorite things around with me in case a situation like this happens.
mayssamk
By trying to get your breathing under control. I've come to realise that a panic attack builds up, and it's your breathing that plays an essential role because it gets faster and faster, until you can't breathe anymore. Trying to get that under control by really breathing deeply, and concentrating only on your breathing has helped me and may help if ever.
Sassy001
March 22nd, 2016 7:18pm
I would try breathing techniques,meditation,imagery or listening to some calming music to try to relax.
Anonymous
try steady your breathing and find a paper or plastic bag of possible and just try relax and you should find your self feeling a little better
helpfulButterfly84
Take long, deep breaths. Focus on something else and accept your feelings and that it is normal. This may help.
generousUnicorns0224
You can sing to yourself that helps me sometimes. If you do breathing exercises and focus on them really hard that should help as well. Go to a bathroom or if you can't just sit and close your eyes. Breathe in 8 seconds, hold it for 8, and breathe out for 8. Go to a happy place, a place you love to be and just close your eyes and imagine every single detail. Focus on sounds, scents, or anything that calms you. Try to get away from whatever is making you anxious.
Anonymous
Change your chain of thought so whatever is setting you off change it. Focus on something else, someone else or even look around the room and count how many white objects there is and try and control your breathing by trying to take deeper breaths and slow it down.
wonderfulMermaid60
Use deep breathing and find an object to focus on also if possible try listening to music to distract your mind
Kate
August 22nd, 2017 4:13pm
Try and control your breathing. Take slow breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth. If you have your phone on you, you can always come here and check out some of the mindfulness and breathing exercises for more guidance.
MamaLiga90
Try a mindfulness technique! Try naming 5 things you see, 4 things you feel, 3 things you hear, 2 things you smell, and one thing you taste. There's many mindfulness exercises so if one doesn't work you can experiment with another
Enigmatica
Try to focus your breath and take some deep breaths. Take a look around you, and find: - 5 things you can see - 4 things you can touch - 3 things you can hear - 2 things you can smell - 1 thing you can taste. This method is called Grounding and it really helped me when I was going through a panic attack. If you search it up on google you can find various ways to do this method. It helps bringing your mind back to reality and calm down. I hope this helped! ^^ Feel well soon
empathicRiver85
Ground yourself. Look around the room, or close your eyes if you would like, and just focus on where you are. Are you sitting in a chair, are you in your room, etc? Now focus on your feet. Feel the floor or ground you stand on beneath you and know that it is supporting you. Imagine roots growing from the bases of your feet down through the floor. You are safe. Repeat this whilst taking deep "square" breaths (Breathe in 4 seconds, hold 4 seconds, exhale 4 seconds, repeat). Nothing else matters but what you are doing right now, which is breathing. Let thoughts pass like rain. And when you feel clearer and calmer again, resume back to life one step at a time.