How can I stop myself from having Panic Attacks in public?

Germany

Nathalie Dramis, Diploma

Helping people is my passion. I believe that anyone can benefit from therapy and counseling. My approach is holistic and tailored to you and your specific needs.

ThePeachTree
Try to take slow easy breaths. Count 1 to 100. Think about something happy or that you enjoy doing or your pet. Excuse yourself to the nurse or bathroom if you are in school or working. It's okay to have panic attacks, you're not alone.
listeningandcaring
Keep calm. Practise deep breathing and think of a happy or peaceful memory. If you focus hard enough, it should help.
LilyFlowers
By conditioning yourself to become more comfortable with the idea of panic attacks in public, and working with desensitizing yourself.
JustNiall
The advice I can give is, that people don't panic in the present. People panic when they imagine something bad happening to them in the future or in the past. This is why your panic attacks are almost always accompanied by some "what if...?" thought. If a dog just bit my leg, I don't say "what if a dogbite?". The reason you say "what if...?" is because what you fear is not actually happening! You need to engage in the activity prior to your attack. If your shopping, read the labels, check prices, ask yourself questions to keep your brain occupied. If your in the park, sit on a bench, go to the fountain and chuck a coin in the water. Engage with your surroundings, as it will help with the goal of you overcoming panic attacks.
LinaMae
I usually try to take a minute, try taking deep breaths and thinking about something calming, being mindful of my body and why it is reacting the way that it is. Being mindful is a good way to
Teddy009
You can't. But you know something? Firstly, they'll eventually go away. Then secondly, you can hide it from people because most of the time they don't even pay attention.
HelpfulListener34
There is a technique called Progressive Muscle Relaxation Therapy. basically, you learn to control your breathing and the tension in your muscles as when you suffer anxiety, your muscles tense up. This is done by: 1. Breathing in with your nose and holding the breath for 2 seconds, and then breathing out through your mouth. Do this a few times to lower your heart-rate and calm your nerves. 2. Tense up your thight muscles, hold it, then release. Do the same with your toes (bu pointing towards your shoulders), your shins and your shoulders. Make a deep frown with your eyebrows and then release. Doing this regularly helps relieve feelings of tension from the body.
Anonymous
Find a little thing that's comforting to you and helps you calm down and bring it with you in public
MissLisa
Having panic attacks in public can be very frightening. You could always try not to fight the feeling as this can intensify your emotions. You could try to practice mindfulness. Being in the here and now. Try to regulate your breathing, focus on how quickly you are breathing firstly, then breathe in for 4, hold for 2 then release for 4. Repeat this over and over again. Often when we focus on our breathing it distracts us from other feelings. Then think about how your feet are pressing in the ground, find two noises around you and focus on things you can see. This is a grounding technique which helps you focus on the here and now.