How can I stop the cycle of being so anxious about having panic attacks that I cause myself to have one?

Shawn Wilson, LCSW

I provide supportive counseling and psychotherapy. I utilize cognitive-behavioral and solution focused strategies to address client concerns. Personal coaching is available.

Loquaciouslaur
When you become aware that you are getting anxious, try a coping method that works for you. Write out everything you are feeling, play music, dance, go for a walk, listen to music, play a sport-- do something to channel your anxiety into something productive.
Anonymous
Taking yourself out of the cycle can be physical: go to a new place, spend the night with a friend, take a walk to stimulate another part of the mind instead of the one that focuses on panicking.
nevergiveup85
That's a hard situation to be in. I know, because I have been there myself. Try some grounding exercise and calming activities when you feel your anxiety coming on. Self awareness is the most important thing in my opinion when it comes to anxiety... being able to recognize when a panic attack is coming is the key to avoiding them all together.
SpiritWolfNYC
You must first understand what is triggering the symptoms. This is common... being anxious about beig anxious. This is something that begins to improve in time as you undergo therapy and various exercises to help bring down your anxiety to a minimum
Everyone is different, there is no one answer fits all. However you can try to find things that work for you that are calming and implement those things where needed. Or, if you are dealing with feelings that are interrupting your everyday life, perhaps its time to seek professional help through a therapist or counselor to help you with coping skills.
Anonymous
You need to learn to take a step back and look at the bigger picture and almost unitatch yourself and relize that you will be okay and know that it will only make things worse to think about it . you can distract yourslef until it passess.
SarahRussell
Do you think it would help to find something to distract yourself when you start to have those thoughts? Examples include bike riding, listening to music, writing, etc.
Bookloverxoxo
Knowing your own emotional triggers is a good way to start. If you can identify which things are more likely to cause you anxiety, going into them knowing you may feel uncomfortable, but that you are going to try it anyways is a good way for you to feel more in control and not overthink the situation. Remember you are stronger than you think, and putting extra pressure on yourself to always be okay will make it harder to put your anxiety to rest.