How do I know if I'm really having a panic attack or if I'm just freaking out?

★ This question about Panic Attacks was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Sarah Archer, LMFT

As a Licensed MFT I work with clients to more effectively address, process and learn skills to manage the problems that prevent them from living the life they want.

kaitykait
Panic attacks usually give you physical symptoms and freaking out seems a bit normal, panic attack are less normal.
Anonymous
Panic attacks usually leave you short of breath gasping. you struggle to think and can even pass out.
Dgolman
To me, they are the same thing. Freaking out and panic are very similar. When you feel like you aren't in control of your feelings or emotions, you are most likely having a panic attack. Try to breathe and regain focus.
Anonymous
Depense symptoms if get like heart race ,, sheking hand ,,, anxious,,, namness etc,,, its panic....
Mollyamber101
usually that is a panic attack and I just suggesting distracting yourself. it's a pain I know.......
Anonymous
they're usually the same. panic attacks are much more intense though. it doesn't matter how you call/ describe them, you should address the cause of your problems. remember that fear doesn't exist, it's just a product of your imagination
VinnyC3654
I see freaking out as a level of panic attack, and for that I don't see a difference. Usually a "freak out" comes before a full blown panic attack, and I can usually curb that by focusing on breathing and thinking through what is causing the "freak out." If I can't and it escalates, then I strictly focus on bringing myself back to center, then I tackle the trigger.
HazelEyes2
Panic attacks come with a lot of physical symptoms which are very specific, such as racing heart, sweaty palms, shortness of breath, feeling faint. I think when you have a panic attack you know it.
BenS
When you have a panic attack, the world starts closing in on you. The most important thing in both circumstances, is to take a breath, close your eyes and regulate your oxygen intake. Then try to destress, through activities during the day.
UnicornInspiration98
When you have a panic attack you feel you can't breathe. It seems like your having a heart attack, but your not. Well just freaking out is super anxiety, and feeling like things are out your control.
Anonymous
Either way you should try to breath and work on mindfulness. Find a way to a distract your self from the problem.
Dee95
Your heart starts racing, you get hot flashes, dizzy/feeling faint, sometimes body aches. I usually get pains in my rib area. Sometimes you feel like or start crying without any warning. You'll feel like so many thoughts hit you at once.
LucyCat20
in the moment its hard to tell however you should calm yourself down like you would a panic attack
PeachyCream
Having a panic attack comes with specific sensations of struggling to breathe, clammy hands, dry mouth, and the very genuine feeling that something very bad is about to happen at any moment. Sometimes, when you think you're just freaking out for no reason, you might be having a panic attack! Occasionally, people having panic attacks are unable to function and/or bring themselves to do anything and will break out into sobs.
Anonymous
A panic attack has much more physical symptoms than just freaking out. Shakiness, shortness of breath, racing heart, chest pain, choking feeling.. etc.
Akatsuya
Symptoms of panic attacks include but are not limited to elevated heart rate, out of the ordinary behavior, poor decision making, mental cloudiness, unexplained anger, changes in eyesight, and stomach aches.
magnificentParadise41
It could be both but I am not a doctor or a professional but if you have any problems with pain see a doctor or need someone to talk to talk to one of us.
Profiter001
Panic attacks can come in different forms. For example: OCD like behaiviors, random spouts of rage, fast talking, sputtering words, not talking at all, zoning out, or (the most common) hyperventilating. Freaking out could be caused by one thing that makes you nervous.
Sassy001
March 23rd, 2016 5:26am
I think if your having physical symptoms like hypervenilating,racing heart,sweating,nausea or g.i. symptoms,on top of worry,panic,fear,it is probably a panic attack and not just freaking out.
Anonymous
A panic attack is when you feel your heart pounding and the room feels like it is spinning. When you are freaking out you may be jumpy, worried and nervous. A panic attack may cause your breathing to be small and choppy. I had many panic attacks growing up, this is what I remember feeling
Anonymous
April 2nd, 2016 2:35am
Panic attacks come with almost no triggers and are identified by increased heart rate, dizziness, nausea, and increased breathing rate. Freaking out happens when there is a reason to panic, and will go away along with the problem.
StormyAngles18
they're are specific symptoms to recognize if your having a panic attack such as sweaty palms, fast heart rate, uncontrollable heavy breathing, and shaking, You can also research the difference on different medical websites who can give you more of an insight.
LittleBecky
If you're freaking out then you might be having a panic attack, either way it is not a good thing. When it comes to this you should sit down and try to breathe calmly and control yourself, it helps. I know this from personal experience!
Pattyyourgirl
When you're having a panic attack, it feels like you can't breathe. Your heart rate gets high and you might start shaking or getting sweaty. It usually lasts longer than just freaking out and you can't even stand, you need to lay down and it impairs your normal life.
Anonymous
Panic attack is a response of your organism to some situation that might not look dangerous but still your brain thinks it is. You have an intense feeling of fear that you cannot control unless you refrain from this exact situation.
Samira006
From my personal experience there are obvious physical signs that happen. Everyone is different but here are some common ones, very fast heart palpitations, shortness of breath, excessive sweating, tremors, can't think straight. Basically you feel like your going to have a heart attack and die.
Blueforyou96
Most people with panic attacks experience several of the following symptoms: "Racing" heart. Feeling weak, faint, or dizzy. Tingling or numbness in the hands and fingers. Sense of terror, or impending doom or death. Feeling sweaty or having chills. Chest pains. Breathing difficulties. Feeling a loss of control.
closter
It'll be hard to breath and well, your panicking. Sometimes time seems to fly by, too. You'll think it was a few minutes but it could be and hour. You will probably end up uncontrollably crying.
LifeCoach4U
Usually panic attacks last about 15-30 minutes however they can come back throughout the day and sometimes even last a hour. Limit your caffeine if you're prone to anxiety
AccioSpirit909
If you feel something pushing down on your chest and/or feel that it's hard to breathe, then it is probably a panic attack.