How do I stop myself getting angry at people when having a panic attack?

Elaine Kish, LMSW

My goal is to treat clients with respect and compassion. I am a supportive, strengths-based therapist with experience in treating mood disorders, grief, and trauma.

stkmkf
Don't get panicked.. It's as simple as that.. If something has gone wrong, you can't really undo it.. Try to fix it in the best possible way.. Getting angry would just worsen it and besides, it won't help you either :))
goldenLight64
First I have to recognize and understand that I am having a panic attack. I need to breath deeply and slowly to calm myself and that will usually help "reset" my thoughts to some degree. It's not perfect, but it creates mindfulness of my actions.
Easylistener
When you are having an attack, it helps to not get into dialogue with people who don't understand. If you can distance yourself or say 'I'm not in the space to talk with you right now' it will help.
LilyFlowers
When we get angry during a panic attack, it's because we are feeling really unsafe and our anger is trying to keep our fragile self from danger. So you can either be around people you trust and make you feel safe, or learn to manage your panic attacks or both. Maybe working on some inner strength exercises would help. Strong core, strong foundation. Panic attacks are the storm, don't get knocked down.
Anonymous
I close my eyes. I pretend I am alone for that split second. It helps me connect with my thoughts and ignore everything that is surrounding me. I pause, and count to three. I think to myself, "Would what I want to say do good or bad?"
Anonymous
Remove yourself from the situation immediately.. Walk outside or If you need to go to a different room.. Or even. Restroom go.. Take a couple of deep breaths and remind yourself of what the consequences may be if you lose your temper before it happens..
try asking people to give you some space when you get this attacks. So that you have the space to recover before facing them.
RoksanaRose
Try to find a place where you can be alone, when you're there, breathe in through your nose and out of your mouth for as long as you need, this has worked for me many times, just close your eyes and focus on your breathing
Anonymous
by concentrating and stay focused on the little details of things around me like:chairs,doors,trees,sky clouds,etc. anything that makes me wind down a little and keep my head away from shouting at people.